Ratter!

BlackJaq

The Tenterfield sounds very interesting..

I suspect that many good ratting breeds might no longer be independent or hardy enough to live outdoors 24/7, at least the show lines perhaps... I refuse to buy a BYB one though so I have to wonder what my chances are for a breeder to be willing to sell into an "outdoor working home" rather than a cushy indoor lifestyle lol

A lot of the Tentie breeders I know here wouldn't have a problem with it to be honest.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love Tenties too, but I think for an outdoor living night time hunter a standard smooth fox terrier would be hardier option than a Tentie.

Speaking from only my personal experience, I have never met a smooth fox terrier that isn't game and keen! I find them to be very personable dogs that can switch on and work hard. Someone with more experience with living with them might be better to talk to.

One day when I finally get another dog I have the smooth fox high on my list.

I do love Tenties too, but I think for an outdoor living night time hunter a standard smooth fox terrier would be hardier option than a Tentie.

Speaking from only my personal experience, I have never met a smooth fox terrier that isn't game and keen! I find them to be very personable dogs that can switch on and work hard. Someone with more experience with living with them might be better to talk to.

One day when I finally get another dog I have the smooth fox high on my list.

Yeah another great breed which isn't around enough these days - love them.

The Tenterfield sounds very interesting..

I suspect that many good ratting breeds might no longer be independent or hardy enough to live outdoors 24/7, at least the show lines perhaps... I refuse to buy a BYB one though so I have to wonder what my chances are for a breeder to be willing to sell into an "outdoor working home" rather than a cushy indoor lifestyle lol

Even my great Dane and mastiff x catch and kill mice so I think you would be in with very high chanced with pretty much any terrier being interested in dispatching mice and rats. You could also look at rescue as there are many foxie and JRT type terriers in rescue. We had an Aussie terrier as a foster and his prey drive for small and furry things was serious!

I have had a quick google of Fox Terriers (standard smooth) but most of the info is obviously aimed at pet people. I had more luck on working info in German hunting forums and am still looking. They sound quite hardy and seem to have retained a strong will to hunt despite pet breeding.

I would like to speak with some breeders and get opinions on how much exercise they would need to stop them becoming destructive. Any dog we might use in this fashion should be able to cope over night without ripping the place apart, given they get enough exercise during the day while out and about.

Educating a Bauhund is pretty time intensive, just like any kind of hunting dog but I have to say I find the prospect very tempting... Obviously my Weimaraner does not find into the fox burrows and we can only hunt them above ground in our current situation!

My boy Hoover ( Scottie ) has no problem catching and killing rats, even if they try to hide he will not give up until he's flushed whatever it is out. I've watched him pick up / drag or push items like pot plants / buckets and outdoor furniture out of the way so he can get closer to whatever it is he is chasing. Unfortunately he also kills any other wildlife that ventures into the back yard and is not fast enough to get away - birds / snakes / blue tongues, he is fearless when it comes to hunting things. He does however sleep inside as I have cane toads. Not short coated but I think the hair offers some protection against getting bitten / scratched but I may be wrong. I wouldn't say he's yappy but he can be very vocal at certain times, especially if someone he doesn't know is at the door.

Go find some semi feral kittens, 8 weeks old is the best. Lock them in your hay shed for a few weeks, feed them in there and let them do what they do best. They will learn to live out there and empty the place of rodents no problems.

Go find some semi feral kittens, 8 weeks old is the best. Lock them in your hay shed for a few weeks, feed them in there and let them do what they do best. They will learn to live out there and empty the place of rodents no problems.

get them neutered first.

We live on property and have always had semi feral hay shed cats ( desexed) and we've never had rst problems. They do a damn good job and far more silent than dogs

Why do you have to have a terrier?

our dogs will catch mice/rabbits/cats /foxes ... very effectively!! ( but are never left alone to do so ...and mostly during the day ... )

If we had rats, I dare say they would LOVE the idea !!!

our dogs are koolies.. not 'big' dogs ......

If you have no experience with terriers then I wouldn't recommend it, I'd go for the barn cat option - much easier.

I've had terriers (purebreds and crosses) for years, the JRTs are consummate ratters usually but not always and they are generally consistent escape artists too ... I've had a Lakeland Terrier (not a breed for the faint hearted), JRTS, a Standard Foxy, Foxies, Tenterfields and so on.

Only today my Westie cross who has always shown very distinctive terrier behaviour, despatched yet another blue tongue when I wasn't here - I hate this, he disembowels them. You can't blame him, he thinks they are a snake.

Terriers are very feisty and strong willed and don't always suit people - hence the need for Jack Russell Rescue which is generally one of the busiest rescues.

A lot of Standard Foxies don't seem to be very good with other dogs. These are all things to think about. I love terriers and will probably always have one but they are a lot of dog in a small body.

I'm pretty sure that Dachshunds (you can get Standard size) are also excellent ratters but I've never had one.

Edited by dogmad