Sleeping On Floors

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

Hank (7 month old GR) seems to prefer sleeping on the floor over anything else and it's driving me crazy. I've bought him 5 beds so far (including a cooling mat thing) but he chooses to sleep on the floor instead, I imagine because it's summer and still quite hot.

The only minor success I've had is with an old doona that I leave on the floor, he will move onto it in the middle of the night but mostly he just prefers to sleep on the hardwood floor.

Just wanted to know if this was bad for his growing bones and should I be worried?

He loves to sleep on the kitchen tiles during the day too despite his bed being right next to his nose.

My boy is very big and I am always aware of his joints etc because of that, but he often chooses to sleep on the floor when there is a bed or couch available :shrug: I guess he finds it cooler?

Not sure what you can do though, unless you crate him you can't really ensure he is on something soft, weirdo dogs!

I'd like to know too! My dog also tends to sleep on the floor during the day, despite her having several beds and mats. I've often looked at her and wondered if it's bad for joints! She does sleep on my bed and is on the couch in the evenings so I try and placate myself with that fact, lol.

Guest hankodie

Weirdo dogs indeed! Argh it's driving me crazy. I know it is probably cooler but having said that he still does it on nights where it's not too hot.

Aussie3 he is crate trained but we made the switch to a "big boy bed" a while ago, I doubt it would make a difference though because even as a pup he used to push all his crate mat aside to sleep on the hard plastic bit :shrug:

And silentchild I wish Hank could enjoy sleeping on our bed but SO has banished both dogs from the bed because our little dog loves to hog it, never mind a growing golden retriever trying to squeeze in there as well :laugh:

Guest hankodie

I'm curious too, Nixon is the same.

And my husband worries about him sleeping like this: Thinks it might be bad for his joints. Any ideas?

1469835_10152067415122889_1568873208_n.jpg

AW how cute is Nixon :D No idea aliwake, I've read so many conflicting things about "froggy legs". Odie does it and she does have mild HD but I doubt that means anything, I've read that dogs with perfect hips sleep like that as well.

AW how cute is Nixon :D No idea aliwake, I've read so many conflicting things about "froggy legs". Odie does it and she does have mild HD but I doubt that means anything, I've read that dogs with perfect hips sleep like that as well.

My mum thinks it's a puppy thing and he'll grow out of it, but I'm pretty sure I've met adult dogs that lie that way too. I hope it's not bad for him cos I think we have about zero chance of being able to stop him from doing it!

Hopefully as the weather cools down they'll all decide to spend more time on the lovely beds we've provided!

Lacey my Cavalier is really feeling the heat at the moment so loves sleeping on the slate tiles ..... I noticed she was doing the frog position , never noticed it before.

She had surgery on her left Patella in September last year and I always worry she will hurt herself sleeping that way but she doesn't seem bothered by it.

Guest hankodie

Yes I think it's just something that some dogs do and not necessarily an indication of anything :D

i have the opposite problem with Odie than I do with Hank, he's currently lying on the tiles trying to get cool while she's sun baking out in the yard even though it's a million degrees outside! Crazy dogs :laugh:

Stella has always laid like a turtle since puppy hood & has 4 different kinds of beds to choose from but the floor wins every time. Winter or summer :crazy:

Sonny on the other hand loves his bed. He sleeps nowhere else. He will even bark at me to get it off the cloths line when it is outside getting aired or I have washed it. Cheeky boy :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

Dogs not so silly

If there are any drafts in your house they will be coming under the doors ie along the floor so that will be the coolest place and the tiles will be cooler than the carpet.

"Frog" position - think about it, very few dogs have masses of of hair for insultaion on their tummies so again, it will be cooler to get that part closest to the floor if you can.

That last pic is so cute! Cooper who has severe HD (1 hip replacement already) throws himself on the hard floor boards. It drives me crazy given he has had surgeries on both elbows as well. I have beds, and single bed mattresses in two rooms and he still prefers the floor :(

Mystery solved! During the recent Adelaide heat Mac has preferred to sleep on his side on the floor rather than on my bed - I suspected because it's cooler - but didn't connect it with the drafts. smile.gif

It is also to do with the fact hot air rises, cool air sinks.

Guest hankodie

Lol I'm loving the pictures!

I know why Hankie likes to sleep on the floor, I just wish he'd sleep on something a bit more cushiony now and then! I'm a little worried about his growing bones :(