Malamute Help

Assha

HI

I adopted an 8 month old malamute about 3 weeks ago and he is just a beautiful placid dog (except for back yard destruction even though he has 50 toys to play with). I know they are stubborn and expected some problems but trying to train him on his lead is getting worst, not better, and I am not sure where else to turn. He follows me everywhere through the house and listens to me most of the time and I know I need to be a little more consitant for the best results, but I am sure he understands I am the "alpha" he should be listening to. He lets me do all the things that show this, such as sitting/laying on him, holding his snout, waiting to be invited inside, walking through doors after me, producing his belly when requested for a scratch, sitting when asked, shacking hands etc etc. (But of course he still tests me with the sneaking into bedrooms and stealing my socks or something I have yet to put away to chew on cheeky little bugger lol).

When I first got him he was pulling desperately on the lead. After trying so many different things (pulling on the lead, holding him firm by my side, treats when the lead is loose, stopping when he pulls, changing directions suddenly) I have managed to get him to the point that when we start out there is no pulling at all, but it starts when we get onto our normal path. The moment I stop (as he is pulling) he either sits, or walks back around behinds me to my left side and waits until I start walking again. But the last few days he has started getting frustrated and "attacking me" by jumping and nipping at me. I tried turning my back but today I got angry and pulled the lead to the ground and basically sat on him until he settled down (this actually did setting him a little, but he still insisted on pulling on the lead).

I walk him every morning but we are not getting as far now because he just wont walk with the loose lead for more than a few seconds (if I praise him he thinks it is ok to walk faster). I have no time to wear him out before we go (although I try for a least 5 minutes). I spend and hour and half with him every morning before I start getting ready for work (where he then follows me for the next hour while I get ready). I play for him for another hour when I get home (3 nights a week I go to the gym after this) then its time to settle down for the night (but follows me again). I am also waiting for the dog training classes to start in 2 weeks to take him to this. There is also no chance of letting him off the lead as he chases birds, pounces on small dogs and refuses to return to the lead.

So I need some help for now on what to do before I get too frustrated and don't want to walk him anymore (which will just cause more backyard distruction) and before he goes from 45kg to 85kg!

How long should this really take? its been 3 weeks already! Or is he still just trying to settle in?? Do I put up with the pulling until I start trianing classes? Or are there other ways? Am I reading him wrong and in fact he does not respect me at all? He sometimes just gives me the look that he is actually playing me for what he wants and when he chooses he does what he wants instead, almost like he doesn't care for me at all.

Please help!

Edited by Assha

I don't really know about the walking issue, from what I've read in here 8 months is getting into the rude teenager stage which can make things more difficult.

Although while you're working on that you probably want to make sure he's still getting plenty of exercise. Maybe take him down to the park and have him on a long line so you can maintain control and keep him away from the birdies and small dogs. This will also help with recall training. Swimming can also be a good way of wearing out your dog in a smaller area while maintaining control

And to try and reduce the backyard destruction trick training and obedience training can help wear him out mentally

This is bread and butter stuff for most decent private dog trainers.

I suggest you employ one to come and show you how to deal with the leash pulling. He's had 5 months to develop this behaviour so you need some skills to train him out of it. No amount of written advice will be as valuable as being shown how to manage it.

If you give some basic details about where you are, someone will no doubt be recommended.

Don't overplay the "respect" and "alpha" ideas. Dogs pull on the lead because at some point the behaviour has been rewarding for them.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I truly hope he doesn't reach 85kg, that'd be one obese Mally :(

Hopefully there's some confusion here, breed standard says male Mals should be around 85 pounds (39 kgs). So 45kgs at 8 months, he's already a very big boy

I truly hope he doesn't reach 85kg, that'd be one obese Mally :(

Hopefully there's some confusion here, breed standard says male Mals should be around 85 pounds (39 kgs). So 45kgs at 8 months, he's already a very big boy

Gosh, thanks Leah82!! Seems I have been reading that wrong, thank god! I was told he is 45kg, but I am sure he has heaps more to grow as his paws are huge and I have been told Max is small compared to a "friends" Mally.

Thanks for your advice though. He isn't much for the swimming, but loves to run in and out of a water full pelt at a spot I found where at 6am hardly anyone is at. Except its risky as he wont come back sometimes (even running excitedly in the opposite direction only gets him running full pelt past me) and now we are not getting that far because of the amount of stopping we do.

I have been thinking about the extendable lead but have read they give you less control. But sounds like it could be worth a go, at least let it off when we reach some of the big paddocks and the water.

I suggest you employ one to come and show you how to deal with the leash pulling. He's had 5 months to develop this behaviour so you need some skills to train him out of it. No amount of written advice will be as valuable as being shown how to manage it.

If you give some basic details about where you are, someone will no doubt be recommended.

Don't overplay the "respect" and "alpha" ideas. Dogs pull on the lead because at some point the behaviour has been rewarding for them.

I have thought about this, but thought I would try this training place first (starts in 2 weeks). I am in the Canning Area of WA if anyone has suggestions. I have also heard I should only be using someone with experience with a Mally

And thanks for the advice, I have also read that the alpha thing is actually untrue. I was a little more leanient with my last boy who was just gorgeous (and didn't even need a lead), but I have been so worried about Max being a Mally that I have probably been trying too hard.

Edited by Assha

Welcome to spitz breeds.

They're wilful, intense and very full of themselves. So many of these breeds end up in rescue because of these personality quirks.

I can only echo what HW says. You need a private trainer, don't muck around trying various different training styles. He's fighting back and nipping you, you need to get this sorted now!

Letting him off the lead is very dangerous, he's a malamute and you already know he is not coming when called, every time you let him off and he ignores you he's self rewarding.

Also don't use extension leads, you won't have the control over the dog you need if he decides he wants to go in the other direction. If you want to use a long line to exercise him use a long lead, not an extension one (trust me on this I've owned a Mal the pulled like a freight train! Extension leads are not your friend)

While you're working with a trainer on the walking try doing obedience training with him around the house to keep his mind active and your garden safe! Also making up doggy ice blocks are fantastic for spitz breeds, they love to chomp on ice. I use empty ice cream containers and add water and sardines. Very popular.

If he likes to dig you can also get a clam shell pool and fill one side with sand and the other with water. My sammys love that.

Welcome to spitz breeds.

They're wilful, intense and very full of themselves. So many of these breeds end up in rescue because of these personality quirks.

I can only echo what HW says. You need a private trainer, don't muck around trying various different training styles. He's fighting back and nipping you, you need to get this sorted now!

Letting him off the lead is very dangerous, he's a malamute and you already know he is not coming when called, every time you let him off and he ignores you he's self rewarding.

Also don't use extension leads, you won't have the control over the dog you need if he decides he wants to go in the other direction. If you want to use a long line to exercise him use a long lead, not an extension one (trust me on this I've owned a Mal the pulled like a freight train! Extension leads are not your friend)

While you're working with a trainer on the walking try doing obedience training with him around the house to keep his mind active and your garden safe! Also making up doggy ice blocks are fantastic for spitz breeds, they love to chomp on ice. I use empty ice cream containers and add water and sardines. Very popular.

If he likes to dig you can also get a clam shell pool and fill one side with sand and the other with water. My sammys love that.

Thank you! I have read a lot of the same things. So seems on top of this obedience training I need to get a a one on one training in. Thanks for the clarification on the lead.

Yes, he loves his shell pool too! He "digs" in there and nips at the water. He doesn't dig much in the garden, he just pulls the plants out and chews them. So far the best remedy has been putting his toys in a big bucket (he is already chewing) and soon they are spread all over the yard. But if he turns his attention onto the plants, unfortuantely they are still going down one by one

I also do the ice block, I usually freeze a bone or something in it. He loves this too (actually, he seems to just love the ice whether there is something in it or not). Today he got a half giant bone before leaving him, he could barely contain his excitement lol.

I will start looking around for a good trainer.

Edited by Assha

I've been forced into putting a barricade around my garden to save it from the samoyeds (they weren't pulling out plants but they were sleeping on them)

Good luck finding a good trainer. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you and feel free to come and join us in the spitz thread. We'd love to see photos of your boy :)

For starters stop sitting on him ,that is not alpha nor will it teach him anything .

Holding his snout ,laying on him & sitting on him also means nothing to your leadership role & to be honest a very odd thing to do with a dog .

Respect is earn't by both parties

I would suggest you contact Jen Lawrence who does training on Thursday nights she is a Mally owner/breeder http://www.wolfproud.com/40/obedience-training/

I have thought about this, but thought I would try this training place first (starts in 2 weeks). I am in the Canning Area of WA if anyone has suggestions. I have also heard I should only be using someone with experience with a Mally

And thanks for the advice, I have also read that the alpha thing is actually untrue. I was a little more leanient with my last boy who was just gorgeous (and didn't even need a lead), but I have been so worried about Max being a Mally that I have probably been trying too hard.

The reason I recommended one on one training is that group classes are very difficult to get effective problem correction in. Learning new things is lot easier in a group. And don't wait! Every day this behaviour continues is rewarding and reinforcing it.

Dogs of any breed can and will pull on the lead if allowed to. You don't need someone with Mal experience to deal with this. As I said its bread and butter work for good dog trainers and probably one of the most common dog issues they see.

For starters stop sitting on him ,that is not alpha nor will it teach him anything .

Holding his snout ,laying on him & sitting on him also means nothing to your leadership role & to be honest a very odd thing to do with a dog .

I would suggest you contact Jen Lawrence who does training on Thursday nights she is a Mally owner/breeder http://www.wolfproud.com/40/obedience-training/

I read that it it was a way to see if they trust you and gave it a go once (of course not with my weight!!!) and when lying out in the sun with him chillaxing I put my head on him is all. I don't go around sitting on him or anything of the sort (except for today when he just would not stop jumping at me no matter what I did and it was the only way I got him to stop, holding the lead down just got him going for my face)

I have had a look at Jen, she looks great, thank you.

I would suggest you contact Jen Lawrence who does training on Thursday nights she is a Mally owner/breeder http://www.wolfproud...ience-training/

I read that it it was a way to see if they trust you and gave it a go once (of course not with my weight!!!) and when lying out in the sun with him chillaxing I put my head on him is all. I don't go around sitting on him or anything of the sort (except for today when he just would not stop jumping at me no matter what I did and it was the only way I got him to stop, holding the lead down just got him going for my face)

I have had a look at Jen, she looks great, thank you.

He can't jump at you or reach your face if your foot is on the lead. This sounds like one frustrated dog.

What sort of collar are you using on him?

LOL you both now have some time 'enjoying' a B I G learning curve !

Human will benefit greatly from personal, experienced information , and also from reading things such as the following : Dog will then be SO pleased that human knows what he's talking about - he will begin to respond :) ( well, that's the theory :p )

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE