Incontinence In An Older Dog

Stitch

Is there any medication available to help with incontinence in an older dog?

I try ensure my old girl has regular toilet breaks and she is on a special homecooked diet as she has developed an allergy to several forms of protein.

She never has dry food so she doesn't drink a lot but occasionally when she goes deeply asleep I am noticing urine leakage.

Anyone have any ideas to control it?

Stitch how old is she and what breed? This is relatively easy to solve. My 12 year old Westie Sarah was wetting overnight and was soooo distressed by it. Off to the vet - she's been on Stilboestrel for 12 months (?) - 1mg tab for 5 days then 2 per week - Monday mornings and Thursday nights. Problem solved.

Propalin is the other drug I know of which my 14.5 year old Mac is on after the Stilboestrel seemed to reduce in effectiveness. He changed from Stilboestrel 6 weeks ago and the Propalin seems to be working well but is more fiddly to manage twice a day.

Off to the vet with you... Usually an easy prob to solve. Hope that helps. smile.gif

Take her to the vet.

Incontinence can have a range of causes and each requires different treatment. Take a fresh urine sample wth you if you can.

This isn't uncommon in older bitches and my older girl's issue is totally controlled with medication.

I had an Australian Silky Patrick, that was incontinent and had been for quite a while.It was distressing for him and and despite all the tests/ultra sounds etc etc there was no diagnosis as to cause.

So my vet tried him on Incurin and it worked.

He remained on the meds for the rest of his life, with no problems and no incontinence.

I had it compounded as Patrick was soooooo difficult to take tablets. The fluid was so much easier.Exepensive by comparison but worth every cent, for his happiness and comfort.

Yep as hare down says - take a fresh wee with you.

I usually keep a couple of the yellow screw top wee jars at home for the purpose - but any clean screw top jar will do - doesn't have to be sterile.

I follow target Westie out in the mornings for their first wee, kidney dish or cleaned foam meat tray in hand and the moment they squat/lift leg shove said dish/tray underneath them - then transfer collected wee to tightly screwed jar. You don't need a jar full - just a bit You get quite practiced at it. smile.gifembarrass.gif

1390959582[/url]' post='6406745']

I had an Australian Silky Patrick, that was incontinent and had been for quite a while.It was distressing for him and and despite all the tests/ultra sounds etc etc there was no diagnosis as to cause.

So my vet tried him on Incurin and it worked.

He remained on the meds for the rest of his life, with no problems and no incontinence.

I had it compounded as Patrick was soooooo difficult to take tablets. The fluid was so much easier.Exepensive by comparison but worth every cent, for his happiness and comfort.

'Patrick' - love the name honeybun!!!

Yes it is good when it works and they are happy.

My old girl was on Stilboestrol for probably 12 months then moved on to Propalin which was more effective for her. As soon as she went on the meds all issues stopped (she was also diabetic and the only way we figured it out was because her incontinence meds stopped working as she was just drinking sooo much, once the diabetes was under control the meds worked perfectly again!).

Mac was on Propalin for about a year and it works very well up to a month ago when he began to leave drips on the floor and on each of the 17 steps from the house to the ground. I took him back to the vet who checked Mac's urine: no sugars, protein or any nasties except his urine is diluted. I asked the vet about Stilbrestol, he said he hadn't tried it on male dogs but there was no harm in giving it a go for a few weeks, so Mac is now into day 3 of his lady-hormones :)

If the Stilbrestol doesn't work I may try him on corn-silk capsules, though the vet said we may need to send off bloods to check other reasons...like Cushings, so we will wait for a few weeks to make a decision (the vet said that because the blood tests are rather expensive and sometimes need to be re-done several times as the results are not certain or definitive with just the one test)

Edited by Boronia

Just back from the vets....my old girl is now on hormone replacement tabs Stilboestrel as others have mentioned here which may take up to 3 weeks to kick in.

Good thing you guys reminded me to take a urine sample...her urine is somewhat diluted with a specific gravity of 1.017.

No diabeties or other nasties so I will check her urine again tomorrow morning and see if it remains the same.

Just back from the vets....my old girl is now on hormone replacement tabs Stilboestrel as others have mentioned here which may take up to 3 weeks to kick in.

Good thing you guys reminded me to take a urine sample...her urine is somewhat diluted with a specific gravity of 1.017.

No diabeties or other nasties so I will check her urine again tomorrow morning and see if it remains the same.

Sweet! Most dogs seem to be able to be weaned onto a pretty low frequency of tablet.. My poodle girl only has to have 1 tablet a month.

I call them her lady pills. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Does it have the same effect if they poo when they don't realise?

My old dally seems to be getting worse and at least once a week he gets up from laying on the rug and there is a poop where he has been, he has no idea he has done it, luckily I feed raw, so its pretty solid to just scoop up.

thanks for the info, my old girl is starting to go a bit incontinent, first she wet herself during an operation about 1 month ago and she had a couple accidents just before this, and the vets suggested taking a sample, then last night because it was cold it happened again. Now I know an easier way to do a sample :-)