Getting Another Pug

Queen Maeby

Make sure you look at matching temperaments. Pugs, even though they are laid back, can still be mismatched and the fights can be stressful for everyone. I'd opt to only buy from someone who allows a trial period with a full refund.

Okay, thank you.

Maybe I should get my Pug's temperament assessed by a behaviourist first? I think we're similar in personality, but I find it hard to assess him because I'm so close to him.

I wouldn't go that far.

Is he dominant or submissive or in between? When he mixes with other dogs, watch his behaviour.

Simply put (and there is more to it but this is the simple view of it) If he likes to play buddy, is happy to give in, and not possessive of you or his toys he'll be fine with most others. If he shows dominant and or possessive behaviours you'll need to find a pug that is more submissive.

My bitch, Olivia, is dominant. Boof will give in to her although he isn't totally submissive. This is good. It means she dominates situations and he doesn't battle her over it unless it is really important to him. For example, he will give up a toy, his bed or attention from me rather than battle her. He will not give up his food though... It's rare really that a pug will.

If you have a dog that would not give up a toy, or attention from an owner in the same scenario with Olivia, all hell would break lose. Pugs may not cause any damage due of their muzzle and face structure but they will fight to death in some respects.

Edited by ~Anne~