Getting Another Pug

Queen Maeby

I would like to get another Pug but, because my Pug is recovering from cancer, I'm not sure if I should:

a) Get another one now(ish).

b) Wait until he has been in remission for 12 months.

c) Wait until he has gone over The Bridge*.

I'm not sure if having a Puggie friend would be good for him or if it would make him unhappy and stressed. Also, I think I would have to get a mature Pug. I don't think he would cope with a puppy.

What do you think?

eta

*Sorry, that didn't come out right. You know what I mean :laugh:

Edited by puggedforlife

It is a bit like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" It depends so much on the dogs. Some dogs would love have a friend and some dogs wouldn't. You know your boy - if you think it would help him then search for a dog who would match.

Good luck. And all the bet for your boy's recovery.

I see what you mean, thanks.

I think he would love it but I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I feel selfish saying this, but I want him to myself because our time together is relatively short and who knows what's going to happen with his cancer... But at the same time I want him to be happy.

Guest hankodie

You should get another dog because you want one, not necessarily because you think it would make your current dog happy. Your current dog has all he needs - food, shelter and a loving owner! Anything else is just a bonus.

If I knew my my boy would be happy accepting another into the household, I would go ahead and do so. You may be surprised how grateful your boy will be and for you, when that terrible day comes along, there will be another dog waiting at home to be loved. That's just me though. I have been through both scenarios, coming home to a dogless home and then at other times, coming home to another dog. It does make the grieving easier. but that decision is entirely yours to make. Best of luck with your boy and with whatever decision you finally make.

I think he would love it but I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I feel selfish saying this, but I want him to myself because our time together is relatively short and who knows what's going to happen with his cancer... But at the same time I want him to be happy.

I totally understand and empathise, but I can guarantee that if getting another dog is the right thing to do and it makes your dog happy, nothing will surpass your happiness at seeing your dog happy. :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know if you've ever been involved in rescue or fostering, but the day you see a fostered or adopted dog finally at ease and playing with one of the other dogs is just the best.

I stress that this is my experience - we are all different :) :)

I totally understand and empathise, but I can guarantee that if getting another dog is the right thing to do and it makes your dog happy, nothing will surpass your happiness at seeing your dog happy. :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know if you've ever been involved in rescue or fostering, but the day you see a fostered or adopted dog finally at ease and playing with one of the other dogs is just the best.

I stress that this is my experience - we are all different :) :)

Thank you, that really makes sense.

Make sure you look at matching temperaments. Pugs, even though they are laid back, can still be mismatched and the fights can be stressful for everyone. I'd opt to only buy from someone who allows a trial period with a full refund.

Make sure you look at matching temperaments. Pugs, even though they are laid back, can still be mismatched and the fights can be stressful for everyone. I'd opt to only buy from someone who allows a trial period with a full refund.

Okay, thank you.

Maybe I should get my Pug's temperament assessed by a behaviourist first? I think we're similar in personality, but I find it hard to assess him because I'm so close to him.

You should get another dog because you want one, not necessarily because you think it would make your current dog happy. Your current dog has all he needs - food, shelter and a loving owner! Anything else is just a bonus.

Sorry, I didn't see this. My computer is doing weird things.

I do want another one but for some reason I feel guilty about it.

eta

I'm not sure how I feel actually. I have a whole lot of different feelings about the idea, but this thread is helping. Thank you :)

Edited by puggedforlife