Dogs Get Scabies

Christina

:eek: Had no idea they could get this. Thought it was a human parasite thing & didn't cross species.

Judge Judy this afternoon.

The silly young lady bought a pup from a breeder. Breeder said it had Mange which was not an illness & easy to clear up with some kind of wash treatment.

Lady took it to the vet who diagnosed scabies. Treatment & isolation at home away from carpets & furnishings.

Took on payment scheme & signed a contract of no return.

She lost vet fees. He lost payments owing. Weird situation.

What Oakway said, scabies is a type of mange. Why you would accept an expensive dog off a 'breeder' with it is beyond me though! Sounds like just the sort of weird crud that would end up on JJ

Sascha was a rescue as a pup(heading for a deep bucket of water!) and had sarcoptic mange. It was easily treated with a good soaking of frontline twice a week until it cleared. Cost me all of about $70 to treat. Wouldn't be happy with a dog from a proper breeder having it though.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Foxes carry sarcoptic mange so rural dogs are more likely to pick it up from the environment that foxes are in. In some cases it is easily treated but before drugs like Revolution came on the market, some dogs developed chronic cases that could leave them bald and sometimes it was fatal as the various treatments didn't work. I remember a neighbour's dog being put down with it when I was a kid as there was no really effective treatment for it in dogs then. A common bush treatment was sump oil rubbed all over the dog to suffocate the mites. It is highly contagious from dog to dog and to other species including humans.

April piglet kindly lent us some of her mites when she first arrived :(

yes, foxes are very unfortunate in often dying because of severe infestations leading to a shut down of their skin's functions ,and infection. it is a horrible thing :(

Fox mange is awful & i have seen a nimber of dogs get it that lived in the burbs areas that encroached on the Fox population ,Problem is most vets have no clue wheh they see it & it gets left so long it gets reallt bad

• 1 month later...

What Oakway said, scabies is a type of mange. Why you would accept an expensive dog off a 'breeder' with it is beyond me though! Sounds like just the sort of weird crud that would end up on JJ

Sascha was a rescue as a pup(heading for a deep bucket of water!) and had sarcoptic mange. It was easily treated with a good soaking of frontline twice a week until it cleared. Cost me all of about $70 to treat. Wouldn't be happy with a dog from a proper breeder having it though.

I think my GSP has mites and my 2 shihtzus and I am itching as well, have had him to the vet twice done scrapings, treating for allergies ,changed food, still the same ,but when you said soaked with frontline, what did you mean ? you get the drops for neck ? is that it ? I used Advocate , my vet recommended, I use to always use frontline and no fleas here for ages, I am at my wits end with this skin thing, really its been going on for months, thinking its also plant related (wandering Jew) but have tried to get rid of all that

I think my GSP has mites and my 2 shihtzus and I am itching as well, have had him to the vet twice done scrapings, treating for allergies ,changed food, still the same ,but when you said soaked with frontline, what did you mean ? you get the drops for neck ? is that it ? I used Advocate , my vet recommended, I use to always use frontline and no fleas here for ages, I am at my wits end with this skin thing, really its been going on for months, thinking its also plant related (wandering Jew) but have tried to get rid of all that

There are many causes of itching. I've had plenty of foster dogs from the pound with demodectic mange and other skin issues to resolve. Many have required antibiotics but demodectic requires special medication plus bathing about 3 times a week with Malaseb.

Pretty much all the itching is resolved within 2-4 months - depending on the issue.

SOmetimes they have had major baldness, sometimes only partial but itching and scratching constantly.

I feed a good quality diet, have a clean environment - pick up the Wandering Jew from the yard regularly and provide flea treatment every month. All of that pretty much fixes their issues and they are ready to rehome.

What I noticed here amongst my own dogs is that they itch more when the weather is humid - they don't have fleas. They will also get itchy sometimes if like last week I couldn't get to the shops for a couple of days and had to resort to a can of dog food I keep for emergencies, as much as they love it and it was the best brand, a couple who came with skin issues were noticeably itchy.

Diet and environment are normally the causes of the itch. If your vet has done scrapings I'm sure he would have found scabies so I'd look for another cause.

Are they itching all over or mainly underneath? If underneath it's usually contact. If all over it's fleas, weather or food possibly.

Long shot but maybe its the Advocate or Frontline that is causing the problem.

Once I got a kitten from interstate. Took her out of the carry cage at home & my son who was sat next to me had an instant asthma attack & I got huge welts & hives. Kitten had been sprayed with Frontline just before being put in the carry cage to beard the plane. Washed her, much to her disgust. End of problem.

Certainly worked for us trifecta, it was what the vet told us to use. The mange was beginning to clear within a week(she was 8 weeks old at the time) and she's nearly 10 now and has never had a recurrence of any sort. Vet said frontline spot on was no good for mange but a good soaking with the frontline spray would treat it which it did.