A Hypothetical Question For Breeders

kelpiecuddles

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell a pup for breeding to a person without a breeders prefix as explained in the first post?

• Absobloodylutely not!
    • No
    • Probably not
    • Maybe
    • Yes

I'm going to add one final link which is a discussion of the most recent standard changes by Czech Judge Iva Černohubova, it's quite interesting reading and talks about the way that standards should be interpreted in order to ensure soundness of animals that remain true to their original purpose. Lots of interesting photos too.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In later years they were yes, I was merely including some pictures which I had found in my travels that I thought were interesting, it seems that a lot of the hunting kennels did cross their dogs fairly heavily but I suppose that this is how our current breeds were developed, the basset hound club of America created the modern breed standard in 1963 although there were other standards used in breeding before that but this is the one we now work with.

The ANKC and AKC standards are different. ANKC AKC

eta I looked up my breed just to remind myself of the main difference and the ANKC has a height limit, AKC has a weight limit. Neither have the other. I follow the ANKC standard as this is what the judges here judge by.

Edited by Rebanne

This was when the original modern standard was created in the states, I'm sorry Rebanne I'm typing one handed while talking to my husband and trying to make my children go to bed Multi tasking is not my strong point tonight LOL The essential characteristics of the two standards are very close though otherwise we could not import their dogs and show them here.

This was when the original modern standard was created in the states, I'm sorry Rebanne I'm typing one handed while talking to my husband and trying to make my children go to bed Multi tasking is not my strong point tonight LOL The essential characteristics of the two standards are very close though otherwise we could not import their dogs and show them here.

Yes close, but not the same. The height thing for one could be a problem if you exported. Beagles in the USA have two heights, we don't here. would have to be very careful with what you imported. Whippets can be taller in the USA, again got to be careful as you might end up with out of standard whippets here.

I've been hunting for a side on photo of Josie but this is really the only one I could find and she's unfortunately wearing a coat but you can see that there is a fair amount of 'daylight' under her, she isn't bred or raised to be stodgy or with her belly just about touching the ground, she still fits within the requirements of the breed standard but she is long and lean with a body type suited for endurance. She comes from a well regarded Australian breeder with champion local and imported bloodlines who is definitely on my list for who I may look to for future dogs. Every single vet that has met her has commented on her wonderful condition and health and how good it is to see a basset in good nic.

Edited because it helps if I include the photos LOL

post-6758-0-05334700-1389776441_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelpiecuddles

The most current standard is I believe the british standard so I would guess that's what the French use although I haven't really gone too far in to the international side of the history

I tracked it down but funnily enough it's in French :D . However it would appear by the heights ( I compared the greyhound as well ) that the ANKC and the French standard are the same, which yes comes from the KC.

Interesting that you have height limits Vs weight limits between here and the US Rebanne, in greys I could imagine that could cause some interesting variation, is it regulated in other ways that attain a similar height such as leg length/body depth ratio or anything like that?

The most current standard is I believe the british standard so I would guess that's what the French use although I haven't really gone too far in to the international side of the history

oh you must, I find it all so interesting and then applying it to your own breed, fascinating stuff. Actually I like lot's of dog history but mainly in the sighthounds

Interesting that you have height limits Vs weight limits between here and the US Rebanne, in greys I could imagine that could cause some interesting variation, is it regulated in other ways that attain a similar height such as leg length/body depth ratio or anything like that?

Greyhound standard is very sparse, no ratio's etc.

I have been reading a bit here and there, I do find it very interesting, just hard to get time to actually sit down and concentrate on one thing for long enough with the kiddies home at the moment. One day when my house becomes sane!

oh yeah, been there and done that :laugh:

An interesting difference between them is the description of the feet which in the ANKC standard(which I understand stems from the british standard) feet may point straight ahead OR be turned out slightly whereas in the AKC there is not mention of feet that may point straight ahead. My understanding is that the outward pointing feet help balance the weight of the heavy chest of the basset so it's an interesting addition to the standard and something I may research more to find the reasoning behind this addition.

An interesting difference between them is the description of the feet which in the ANKC standard(which I understand stems from the british standard) feet may point straight ahead OR be turned out slightly whereas in the AKC there is not mention of feet that may point straight ahead. My understanding is that the outward pointing feet help balance the weight of the heavy chest of the basset so it's an interesting addition to the standard and something I may research more to find the reasoning behind this addition.

yes this is the sort of thing that going back in history may shed light on.

Which in reality is pretty much the same thing, 13-15 implies that 14 is what you are aiming for ultimately. There are a few wording differences but the standards are very close to each other.

well no, I don't agree. 13 - 15 means those heights and anything in between is perfectly acceptable. 14 inches means they want as close as possible to that height and they'll put down a dog who might only be 13 inches. That's my take anyway :)