Clarifying Something On Prefix Application

kelpiecuddles

I was looking to fill out the application form to get my prefix however the form indicates I need to own my foundation bitch first, is this correct? It could potentially take me a number of years to find the sort of dog I'm looking for and I really would prefer to get my prefix sorted so that I know what it is for sure and can start developing my plans. Can anyone confirm whether I can actually apply for a prefix without having my foundation bitch already in my ownership?

This is the excerpt:

2. You must be the registered owner of a pure bred dog/s on the Certificate of Registration & Pedigree

(Main Register) of the intended Dam (Mother) of the bitch that you wish to mate.

NOTE: THE REGISTERED OWNERSHIP OF BOTH THE KENNEL PREFIX AND DAM MUST BE IDENTICAL.

Theoretically I suppose I could put Josie on there as she is female, the right breed and on mains in my name but she is desexed so technically I shouldn't because I won't be breeding her.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

From that it looks like you do need to own a mains reg bitch before applying, although it is probably worth a phone call to them.

Either it is too late at night for me to read properly or it is truly horribly written - "of the intended Dam (Mother) of the bitch that you wish to mate" makes it sound like you have to own the bitch's mother.

Edited by Diva

I read it differently. To me it is saying any bitch you intend to breed under your prefix must also be in your name. You can't breed a bitch owned by someone else under your prefix, unless it is transferred into your name or leased to you.

I now have a joint prefix. Any bitch I wish to breed under that prefix must be owned by the joint owners of that prefix. I no longer have a prefix under my name solely. If I owned the bitch and bred her I have no prefix so can't register the pups.

I read it differently. To me it is saying any bitch you intend to breed under your prefix must also be in your name. You can't breed a bitch owned by someone else under your prefix, unless it is transferred into your name or leased to you.

I now have a joint prefix. Any bitch I wish to breed under that prefix must be owned by the joint owners of that prefix. I no longer have a prefix under my name solely. If I owned the bitch and bred her I have no prefix so can't register the pups.

Thats how I read it too.

OP have you actually called Dogs Nsw to confirm this rule is what you believe it to be?

Sorry Rebanne I thought I had included more of the quote, it does state further up on the sheet that it is a requirement BEFORE you can apply for your prefix and also specifically asks for the registration number of your intended foundation bitch as part of the application process.

I had tried to call them today but it was there first day back so very busy I guess.

I would certainly call them. I just read it all myself and the language is a little murky.

I read it as if you want to breed a litter at the time of application for the prefix, you already have the bitch and you want it to be registered, you need to do all the above.

I still think you can apply for a prefix without already owning the bitch.

As I said, call them and ask directly, it would be the best way to go.