An Inside Crate For A Westie...

westiemum

In the last few weeks Andy my littlest chunky westie, has been searching out 'protected' places to 'hide' or sleep in - he's preferring corners in the lounge behind furniture out of sight, has a favourite spot under my bed up against some flat picture boxes and the wall and is digging spots in a particular corner of the garden bed in the court-yard of the house-sit. It's dawned on me that he might be happier in a crate but no, he's not crate trained.

So please could I have your recommendations for a crate for him for inside use and how best to encourage him to use it? Open-minded about soft or hard sided one - and not too expensive please... and apologies for all the threads over the last few days - but I do really value DOLers opinions. (BTW I did a search but the threads all seemed quite old hence this new one).

TIA. :)

I don't think it is necessary to crate train him unless you really want to. He has found spots he is comfortable in and as long as they aren't too inconvenient for you, I'd let him be.

if he is locked in a crate ..he will be unable to move to get cooler..or comfortable ..... and with his pee problems , it's probably a last resort , IMHO. :o he may just be instinctively seeking the 'den' which theoretically would be dark & cool ..... Ours here are very fond of digging burrows under potplants/shrubs//or lying under teh bath/beds.....

Edited by persephone

As I said in the other thread, I think Vebo are really good value for money. I would go a wire crate over a soft crate as the latter can get quite warm. You can always cover a wire crate to make it cosy. I often have the crate door open and a dog (or cat!) will take up residence. Doors only get closed if Em is in season or if I can't keep an eye on a youngster with destructive potential. Mine always get food toys in the crate plus I play crate games - the only time they hate being in the crate is if I'm rotating them for brief training sessions....Miss E does not like missing out and it's one of the rare times she barks in frustration. Otherwise I find no need to shut the crate door - but it's their refuge....especially when they've had enough of human house guests.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

WM if you suspect the flatmate may be stressing him out then would the flatmate respect the sanctity of a crate anyway? A crate is only of value if the dog knows they are safe in there. If the flatmate sees it as an opportunity to shut him in or to corner him then it may make his behaviours worse not better.

I have a friend who has a high stress dog and she has a dug a massive bunker under the house. She would get upset if we tried to provide her with bedding or comforts in the bunker. We tried soft bedding, cardboard, the hard plastic beds with sides, crates and even a kennel but she would drag out what we put under and snuggle into her bunker (which would turn into a wallow when it rained). In the end we drilled through the floor and put an Adaptil diffuser above the bunker, dragged some other items in around it to make a shelter for her but left the bunker to her. The dog still goes to the bunker in her times of stress but is robust enough to come back out, get a treat during storms, etc and take it back to the bunker to consume.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we couldn't make her feel safe in the places we thought would be more appropriate, so by enabling her to have what she considered her safe place ended up being a better option.

I have another friend who's dog has managed to set up a crate when the dog was hiding but the dog also wanted a hidey spot in the hedge at the front where she could watch what was going on in the street but not be seen. Despite numerous attempts to fence this area off, the dog still manages to get into this area of the garden. She is a dog that "can't" jump into the car but has no worries jumping a wire fence to get to her safe fence watching hole under the hedge.

Rather than spend money on a crate just to see if it works, I'd be seeing if the flat mate leaves him alone when he goes to his self designated time out zones.

I have a wire one that you can borrow (36") I think and a crate cover if you would like to borrow it to see how he goes with it. I can bring them to work Wednesday if you like that way you can see if it is worth buying one

Edited by casowner

I have a wire one that you can borrow (36") I think and a crate cover if you would like to borrow it to see how he goes with it. I can bring them to work Wednesday if you like that way you can see if it is worth buying one

What a lovely offer Cas smile.gif

Cas thanks for your very kind offer but now I think it through I think Ams is right. Andy has a couple of 'bunkers' he retreats to and despite the house-mates comments yesterday about Andy's 'odd' behaviour think I'll just leave it be for now - he particularly likes his spot under my bed. And for the rest of the week all three westies will be in doggy daycare of some description - so can I take a on borrowing the crate?

Thanks all. smile.gif

Cas thanks for your very kind offer but now I think it through I think Ams is right. Andy has a couple of 'bunkers' he retreats to and despite the house-mates comments yesterday about Andy's 'odd' behaviour think I'll just leave it be for now - he particularly likes his spot under my bed. And for the rest of the week all three westies will be in doggy daycare of some description - so can I take a on borrowing the crate?

Thanks all. smile.gif

Offer is there whenever you need it just let me know the day before, I work Mon, Wed & Friday's :)