Pet Adoption Fees

Scottsmum

Call it what it is: a price. It's not adoption, it's a dog for sale.

Sheridan, I don't understand your concern with this. Adoption doesn't imply free, so why the need to differentiate a dog for sale vs for adoption?

Because they are for sale. You pay for them, they're for sale.

And I'll add, adoption is an AR term designed to make people feel guilty for buying a dog from a breeder.

Edited by Sheridan

Well yes, but you pay for children you adopt too. So technically they are also for sale. That doesn't make the term adoption invalid.

Eta - ah ok, your edit clarifies your point.

I do agree, although in reality I think people wanting to "save" a rescue/pound/shelter dog that may not be suitable for them is more concerning than the concept of adopting vs. buying.

Edited by Simply Grand

$615 is nothing compared to the last foster I had through - she needed ongoing medical treatment for mange and infection from scratching.

Not to mention desexing, vaccinating, training, collar, lead, food, bedding..

I think people will pay what they deem is fair for the dog they want..

I have no problem with rescues or pounds charging whatever they want for the dogs in their care. They have to recoup funds on the more adoptable dogs because they have to let the less adoptables go cheaper..

I have a rescue boy and got him for the pound price and had him desexed via my vet myself.. So he was cheap but in all honesty, I would have paid $615 for him the day I found him - because I wanted him...

Suppose I was just so shocked at the massive jump and it seems like a lot of money to me (but then I have never actually paid to purchase an animal - it has always been my parents or they've come "free"- until Scottie.

Thanks for the input :)

Sheridan, I don't understand your concern with this. Adoption doesn't imply free, so why the need to differentiate a dog for sale vs for adoption?

Because they are for sale. You pay for them, they're for sale.

And I'll add, adoption is an AR term designed to make people feel guilty for buying a dog from a breeder.

I don't know if it's an AR term though Sheridan. The "greyhound for sale programme" would be a little confusing and what about fostering? Are those dogs called " greyhounds staying at your house until they are sold"?

I also think it is too much but if people will pay it good luck to them.

A few years ago there was some idiot throwing litters of kittens over my fence at about 4 weeks old. I desexed & vaccinated them all & was asking $50 for them. Just on principle to stop those who take freebies without any thought, obviously it nowhere near covered anything & couldn't believe that so many people phoned & emailed & complained about paying that amount. Found out who it was & it stopped them but was amazed at peoples attitude.

I have to agree with Sheridan, that it is often a term used to dissuade people from purchasing from breeders - which is no less of an "adoption".

Especially coined by the phrase "Don't Shop, Adopt" which is usually used in anti-breeder advertising.

I consider the term "adoption" is used in dog rescue as a marketing tool. If money is being exchanged then the dog is being bought.

I also think it is too much but if people will pay it good luck to them.

A few years ago there was some idiot throwing litters of kittens over my fence at about 4 weeks old. I desexed & vaccinated them all & was asking $50 for them. Just on principle to stop those who take freebies without any thought, obviously it nowhere near covered anything & couldn't believe that so many people phoned & emailed & complained about paying that amount. Found out who it was & it stopped them but was amazed at peoples attitude.

Yeh- the vet I worked for still sells males at $70 and females at $100. Chipped, desexed, vaccinated for age, treated for fleas and usually very well litter trained and well loved. Doesn't come close to cost but also stops impulse buyers (she has a few other theories too - but they're not mine to share).

Please don't think I was saying they should be free - I was just shocked at the sudden hike and as I have since said - I'm clearly out of touch with market norms

:)

Edited by Scottsmum

I have to agree with Sheridan, that it is often a term used to dissuade people from purchasing from breeders - which is no less of an "adoption".

Especially coined by the phrase "Don't Shop, Adopt" which is usually used in anti-breeder advertising.

I consider the term "adoption" is used in dog rescue as a marketing tool. If money is being exchanged then the dog is being bought.

I'm talking about race bred greyhounds though, I think it's a whole different ball game.

SDCH don't put a time limit on the animals in their care, do extensive vetwork and operations on pets that need it as well as long term behavioral retraining. You can be very certain that any money brought in goes to the animals (someone said were concerned about that).

Edited by melzawelza

agree with both.

I'm talking about race bred greyhounds though, I think it's a whole different ball game.

I don't. The dog is still being bought, a certain dog is still chosen over others, others still get left behind. Maybe all sales of pets should be called adoptions? Instead of saying greyhound pups for sale I should be saying greyhound pups ready for adoption?

I'm going to try this with my next litter. Will be interesting to see if I get more inquires.

Edited by Rebanne

In my book, it's an adoption if potential new owners are quizzed carefully and may be refused if they cannot provide a good home. It's a sale if the dog is available to anyone who arrives with the correct money.

That means that responsible breeders, rescues, pounds and shelters adopt out pups and irresponsible breeders, rescues, pounds, shelters and traders actually sell them. In that sense, I agree with Don't Shop, Adopt...but it is certainly not what the AR people mean!

I don't. The dog is still being bought, a certain dog is still chosen over others, others still get left behind. Maybe all sales of pets should be called adoptions? Instead of saying greyhound pups for sale I should be saying greyhound pups ready for adoption?

I'm going to try this with my next litter. Will be interesting to see if I get more inquires.

Alrighty then. Rebanne it's just my opinion on the word adoption nothing more, as far as ex racing greyhounds go. Should GAP change their name to "Greyhounds for sale programme"? That'd be a hit. When I get stopped by someone they always ask if they are adopted ex racers, should I say "no I bought them, please don't use the word adopt as some breeders don't like the term"? That'd be a sure fire way to kill the conversation and have them walk off shaking their heads :confused: In my short time in rehoming ex racing greyhounds "ädoption" is the word people identify with when asking about them.

In my book, it's an adoption if potential new owners are quizzed carefully and may be refused if they cannot provide a good home. It's a sale if the dog is available to anyone who arrives with the correct money.

That means that responsible breeders, rescues, pounds and shelters adopt out pups and irresponsible breeders, rescues, pounds, shelters and traders actually sell them. In that sense, I agree with Don't Shop, Adopt...but it is certainly not what the AR people mean!

I like that differentiation RP. I see no issue at all with breeders saying they have puppies for adoption :shrug: The definition of adoption is something like "bringing into you family through legal means to raise as your own", which is what puppy buyers are doing.

I do see the point people are making about it being an AR term meant to say that people shouldn't buy from breeders, only from shelters etc. I wonder whether the general public are even aware of that though and how much it influences them (I genuinely don't know).

I like the term 'adoption -whatever monetary value is attached. It does signify more than a purchase....

and any money asked for a healthy dog who has been cared for,had vetwork done would come out of your pocket eventually anyhow, for those "free" dogs ;)

It may have been picked up by AR but as far as I can recall it's always been called an adoption fee or adoption donation.

I prefer the word adoption myself, particularly after my early days in rescue coming across people who jump up and down because they have the money, chose the dog they wanted and compared the transaction to "buying a car". Which it isn't......in reputable rescue anyway. No comment on the first in best dressed speed-date rescue.