Could The Wait Be Over?

kelpiecuddles

I just got a message asking me to call the breeder tonight that our show dog is coming from. She was staying with the breeder pending her other bitch having her next litter...that litter is now 8 weeks old and now this message has come :cheer:

Cross your fingers everyone!

So while I'm here, it is planned that my oldest son will show her, none of us have ever shown personally before but the dog is 4 years old and already trained so she should be an easy intro to showing. There are a couple of shows in the relatively local area in the next few months(Braidwood, Sapphire Coast and Wollongong all within 1 1/2 hours drive). What steps do I need to take to be set up for showing in terms of registration? How do I register a junior handler(do I need to be registered too?) and what is required for us to transfer her to be shown in our name? Also how do I work out which shows have neuter class?

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Also if anyone is going to be at shows in this area and would be willing to give us some pointers we'd so appreciate it. All the youtube videos and reading are one thing but it's great to get some real feedback from a supportive showy, especially for a junior.

KC you should be able to get all those answers from the breeder but first of all you need to join, if not already a member, Dogs NSW and when you get the registration papers from the breeder there will be instructions on how to transfer her into your name if that has not already been done. (I'm not sure of the procedure in NSW it may be that the breeder does that on your behalf)

When you are a member of Dogs NSW you will receive the monthly journal which will have all the show schedules in and from these you will be able to see if neuter classes are offered. Is your new bitch to be shown as a neuter? In Vic and I assume other states as well the animal to be shown as a neuter needs to be registered with the canine society as a neuter.

Sorry I am not able to help you with the Junior handler but I think a call to Dogs NSW would answer your question on that front.

Good luck with your new girl and most of all don't get too serious just yet with the show scene......just enjoy yourself, watch, listen and learn.

Edited by Airedaler

Congrats she is gorgeous!

I'm not sure how it works with Dogs NSW, But with DogsQLD when I was a junior handler mum had to join as well. She had to join every year up until I turned 18, so I'd imagine DogsNSW would be the same, but best to double check anyway :)

Aw that's awesome, I remember how excited I was when we got Rusty :) It was all a bit daunting going to the shows with no experience (my family aren't even doggie people haha), but it's lovely once you get to know people. It's a nice day out too, I'm sure you'll both really enjoy it :)

Will do Rebanne. :) The breeder only lives about 30 minutes up the road and comes in to my work sometimes. We took our girls up there a while back and walked all the dogs along the beach so I don't have any concerns about there being issues with the breeder, we've already discussed wanting to show her :)

Officially I'm supposed to be in Canberra that weekend to see my husband who is only over from Perth for the weekend, probably should see him at some point :o

We might try for Braidwood on the Saturday even if it's just for a look see because I doubt our membership will be sorted by then and then head to Canberra after. It'd be good for Alex to see how it's done :)

The simple option would be to transfer the dog into joint names .

So if either your son or yourself are handling you are both members & both names appear on the papers.

As for Junior handlers ( i presume you mean as the handler not the competition just for juniors??)

Just told my son, he's a sad little guy now. He's been talking about this possibility for about 8 months now. Kinda wish I hadn't put the idea in his head back then. I told him we'll find him a doggy to show in the future sometime. She did offer us a pup from her litter who she feels could have a great show career but it's just not in the budget at the moment unfortunately.