Dirt Like Stuff Around Itchy Area

giraffez

Fair enough, didn't know tea tree oil was so dangerous as it is in many dog shampoos albeit at a lower concentration I suppose. I would have thought that Canesten as previously recommended to be worse as far as licking goes?? Either was I must have misread as I thought it was a fungal infection. My mistake.

Anyway it is good for me to know that tea tree oil may not be suitable.

Fair enough, didn't know tea tree oil was so dangerous as it is in many dog shampoos albeit at a lower concentration I suppose. I would have thought that Canesten as previously recommended to be worse as far as licking goes?? Either was I must have misread as I thought it was a fungal infection. My mistake.

You'd need to eat an awful lot of canesten to be toxic, it would make them sick before they got to the toxic stage (and I mean a few tubes, not a few licks).

Tea tree on the other hand has been known to cause issues just by absorption through the skin even without ingestion (undiluted).

You'd need to eat an awful lot of canesten to be toxic, it would make them sick before they got to the toxic stage (and I mean a few tubes, not a few licks).

Tea tree on the other hand has been known to cause issues just by absorption through the skin even without ingestion (undiluted).

Thanks for the info, I am happy to learn something new :)

i've tried maleseb and calendula tea already with little results. The tea gives a bit of relief but comes back itchy the next day.

He is on a grainfree fish diet. Isn't fish the most unlikely to develop an allergic reaction? He has been on it for over a year and only just started scratching. I don't want to start him on antibiotics unless its the last resort.

He doesn't scratch on the the belly button but the area in his underbelly just behind his legs

Edited by giraffez

First thing to try is an antifungal rinse (any good canine ear cleaner or 50/50 listerine solution will do in a pinch, but ACV is just as readily available and gentler where the dog has broken skin from scratching). If that relieves symptoms but the problem keeps recurring, next try a grain free diet.

ear cleaner as is epi otic? What do I do with it, just apply it on the skin?

First thing to try is an antifungal rinse (any good canine ear cleaner or 50/50 listerine solution will do in a pinch, but ACV is just as readily available and gentler where the dog has broken skin from scratching). If that relieves symptoms but the problem keeps recurring, next try a grain free diet.

ear cleaner as is epi otic? What do I do with it, just apply it on the skin?

Most ear cleaners are antifungal and/or provide a mildly acidic environment that is not conducive to yeast. Providing that they are also astringent and will dry quickly, they are also effective on yeast. So yep, just soak a cotton pad and wipe over the yeasty areas once daily until symptoms stop. Ok for hot spots and small blooms but probably a bit expensive for larger blooms.eek1.gif

Some dogs will develop further food allergies just to keep you on your toes. laugh.gif Some grain-free foods still have a lot of carbs, like sweet potato or beet pulp and these can sometimes cause problems in yeasty dogs.

If your dog has been on the one variety for over a year and has just resumed symptoms, then either he is stressed by some change in his environment or his metabolism will no longer tolerate something in the food and you will need to try a new variety or perhaps BARF-style feeding.

Oh I should add I use Tea Tree Oil in my home made ear and facial fold cleaner, it is 10 drops per 250ml of the base so a miniscule quantity, similar to quantities used in pet shampoos etc. It is both safe and effective when such a ratio is used.smile.gif

Sounds more like a contact allergy. Is he laying on grass/wandering jew in your yard/ivy/do you have a plane tree that drops its pollen?

My best advice is a vet diagnosis with skin scraping - then there is no guess work.

Thanks all

There is grass in the yard, there isn't any ivy and no trees that litter pollen at our place.

Skin scraping - is this an allergy test? Can it identify what they are allergic to if its out in the lawn? I've been to the vet for allergy problems before and they haven't suggested any tests..... it was antihistamine and "potential" diet allergy.

Which reminds me, my cousin's vet in the States recommended a dose of clarityne for her dog's allergies. This is human medication but was prescribed by the vet and dispensed at a normal pharmacy. Has anyone given this to their dogs before for allergies?

behind his front legs?Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding exactly where :o

does he wear a harness?

sorry hard to describe. This isn't my dog but it shows the exact area

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/nadinetreadway/JoeyBelly1.jpg

Its easily accessible to scratching with the hind legs

No he doesn't wear a harness. Only when walking

The area doesn't seem yeasty... the speck of dirt is dirt colour and not the yeast colour either. It doesn't smell either.

Edited by giraffez

a skin scraping can be done to check for fungal infection/parasites ..

if you are worried- and you obviously are - get a vet to look at it :) We have not seen it/smelt it/felt it ................... so it is all total guesswork. I am not one to treat something unless I know exactly what it is ....in case it gets worse , or just doesn't go away quick enough ;)

edit . Ok ..where is the problem area?

Edited by persephone