Adaptil Collars

Yonjuro

I thought I would share my anecdotal findings with the Adaptil pheromone collars...

I bought one of these as a $40 punt to see if it would help in any way with the trip from Newcastle to Perth for my 8 week old sibe puppy. I also bought a Snuggle Puppy with the heart beat for the travel which the breeder rubbed over my puppies mum and sister.

Now, I can not categorically say this worked, but the travel and transition has been nothing short of amazing. My puppy has been here for three nights now and there has been no crying or nervous wees, Credit must go to the breeder for such a great job, but I would thoroughly recommend getting on of these collars for anyone getting a new puppy.

The collar lasts 4 weeks apparently so $40 is not too bad in my opinion.

What are they supposed to do?

They recreate the pheromone of a lactating bitch, and the theory is it calms dogs under stress like separation anxiety etc. You can get diffusers which I believe are the best, or spray for bedding and of course the collars.

I trialled one on my dog who was pretty bad for anxious behaviours. I don't believe it did much for her unfortunately so it really comes down to the individual dog in question, the collar also can't get wet at all if it does it stops working.

--Lhok

I trialled one on my dog who was pretty bad for anxious behaviours. I don't believe it did much for her unfortunately so it really comes down to the individual dog in question, the collar also can't get wet at all if it does it stops working.

--Lhok

Yeah I agree that your milage may vary for sure. I would think the chances of it working would be best with a young 8 week puppy and exponentially get less the older the dog??

I use the diffusers and find it brings most anxious or agitated dogs down a notch or two. Enough to make it easier for me to work with them. It doesn't work for all of them though.

We bought the collar within a day of getting our pup at 8 weeks. I can't really say if it assisted on not, cos he was still a fairly difficult and needy pup regardless, but as Ams said, it could well have taken things down a notch. There was one or two occasions where we took the collar off for a day or so and I think he may have seemed a bit more anxious? Very hard to quantify anyway, but it's worth a try.