Crate Training A Puppy?

Michelleva

All of my rescue foster pups were crated at night... if they kicked up a stink, they were ignored and they got the idea pretty quickly that no-one was coming to get them out when they wanted it. If I had litters, they would double up for company in their crates - singletons had a bucket type beddie with a teddy to simulate a littermate environment.

I tend to place the crates where they can see me on the bed in my bedroom, so tantrums were pretty rare anyways.

My older dogs were crate trained at an older age (4 and 9 years old) - after they'd had a fight and needed cage rest. Both are still perfectly fine to get into a crate and settle when asked.

T.

Someone else who is also trying to teach her out to crate train, said the pup should be put somewhere where she can't see her family, like a spare room. I don't agree with that at all. Our crates have always been in the bedroom and family room, dogs want to be where their pack is. And how would you know a pup needed to get out to go to the toilet if it was locked away. We all have different idea's I guess.