Hydrotherapy (a Dream)

dotdashdot

For several months now, I've had an idea/dream of starting my own little hydrotherapy centre in my town. It's not something I'm super set on doing, it's something i'm just trying to gauge whether it's even a viable idea or not. I know how good hydrotherapy is, I wish we had facilities now for our old lab who loves swimming and with her arthritis, it's the only real exercise she can get without pulling up lame the next day. I also like the idea of wearing my dogs out with a good swim, rather than running them all the time. We have rivers, creek and beaches around but sometimes you just want a pool, heating, no sand, or the tides are wrong etc.

But, obviously I can't just open a pool or two and invite dogs in. I need qualifications at least, or hire someone else who does - but I would like to be hands on.

I found a few courses, but i'd be interested in hearing the DOL opinion on what direction is appropriate. I'm more just interested in hydrotherapy at this stage, just swimming or walking on treadmills underwater.

As I said, just trying to "test the waters" ( :thumbsup:) of this idea, if not I'll just make sure when we buy our house that it has a pool, or room for one so my own doggies can have fun.

If you have no animal handling qualifications at all then I'd start with Companion Animal Management courses for the basics. Animal behaviour courses for reading body language which will be essential in making sure you are not creating issues for dogs that will be fearful of the facility the first time they use it. If you are looking to run it yourself I would imagine Physiotherapy would be necessary as you would need to be able to know if the range of motion or exercise you are having the dog undertake is beneficial or harmful.

Have you looked into the cost of an underwater treadmill? A friend of mine takes her dog every weekend for hydrotherapy and during discussions the cost of the set up came up. eek1.gif

No official qualifications...I was doing a marine mammal traineeship but because my school in yr 12 was difficult, I've got nothing to show for it. But that course sounds like a good start, even if I don't continue on with this dream, I'm hoping to be trained to run my own puppy pre school next year and I want to have as much knowledge behind me as possible.

I'd love to do a physio course but the subjects within that uni course include chemistry and biology, which I had to do as part of my uni course earlier this year and which triggered so much stress I had a bit of an anxiety attack. I can't put myself through that again.

And yes I know those treadmills are scary expensive! It's another item on my own personal want list, having dallies + a bad back means Im not always in the best condition to walks kms and kms, but a treadmill and pool would be perfect.

I think i'll have to win the lottery :)

Okay then I'd start with the basic Companion Animal courses. They are run by TAFE or you can do them through AIRC. I'd recommend AIRC as they provide an amazing support network with an aim of getting you through to completion. When I did the courses you could either pay for the course up front or pay subject by subject.

http://www.provetlearning.com.au/

To be honest if I were taking my dogs to a hydrotherapist I would want to see the "therapist" qualification. So much damage can be caused even by simple exercises if you don't understand the mechanics of the body. You may need to look at hiring a qualified staff member (again expensive). I would imagine getting insurance without qualifications may be difficult as well.

Thanks Ams, really appreciate that link. I really want to study something, even though I had such a negative experience this year. Something like this might be great, even if I don't end up where I sort of hoped, I can still impart my knowledge to others through my job (working in a pet store you're expected to know everything!)

At this stage, I'll say that my dream is a little bit more in the "unattainable" basket but I'm cool with that as my real dream is breeding my Dalmatians and that IS happening and a bit less expensive lol.

Its something I'm keen to do as well dotdashdot!

There are no hydrotherapy or swim facilties at all for dogs in Canberra.

TAFE NSW runs a one day course. i think it is in conjunction with the National College of Traditional Medicine.

The next one is in March 2014.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=29175&tpInd=Y

Its something I'm keen to do as well dotdashdot!

There are no hydrotherapy or swim facilties at all for dogs in Canberra.

TAFE NSW runs a one day course. i think it is in conjunction with the National College of Traditional Medicine.

The next one is in March 2014.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=29175&tpInd=Y

I did see that one, held in Londonderry I think? I'll keep it in mind, Sydney is 6 hours away from where I am, so might have to leave that one for a while :)

I certainly think this might be a 'watch this space' post!!!

I know there is some talk by a VERY qualified individual about running some courses like this in the next 12mths (physiotherapist and then masters and PhD in animal physiotherapy).

I know there is some talk by a VERY qualified individual about running some courses like this in the next 12mths (physiotherapist and then masters and PhD in animal physiotherapy).

I like the sound of that!

People i new open an indoor heated pool for theraphy no qualifications.

Although the heating temp is of most importance with recovery .

Not a check exercise building a functional all year facility & pblic liability insurnace is becoming crazy .

Have you also looked into bowen courses on animal massage ,will fit into what your looking at & a good one is worth it.

We use 2 one in this state & one in Vic who do amazing things with injuries & maintaining elderly or disease affected dogs

Sounds very interesting! I'll have a look at that showdog, thanks.