Wearing Nails Strangely

kelpiecuddles

My vet noted today that my basset hound, Josie, is wearing the top of her middle claws on her front feet due to dragging the top of her nail on the ground sometimes when walking. She seems to walk fine, no pain and is otherwise well so I'm a little puzzled. Could it simply be laziness and not lifting her front feet as high due to her long, low, heavy frame? It's not a long dragging motion, just a quick click on the ground every now and then when walking but enough to sand the top surface of the nail a little.

I keep her in beautiful lean condition so she is definitely not overweight or anything like that. Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

The vet wasn't sure, there was nothing obvious. She's very healthy and there is nothing in the way she stands or moves to suggest an obvious reason. I said "maybe she's just being lazy and not lifting her feet as much" and she said maybe and to keep an eye on her and see if I can pick up anything when we are walking. All I have noticed is that she does it more when we are meandering at a slow pace whereas she tends to lift her feet more when we get a bit more speed up.

Our old lab does this, we know in her case it's arthritis/hips/knees/wrists as she's nearly 13 but maybe a consideration? Could be joints - my whole back/hips/walking patterns are screwed because of a back problem and then overcompensation without realizing, I suppose a dog could do the same.

The vet wasn't sure, there was nothing obvious. She's very healthy and there is nothing in the way she stands or moves to suggest an obvious reason. I said "maybe she's just being lazy and not lifting her feet as much" and she said maybe and to keep an eye on her and see if I can pick up anything when we are walking. All I have noticed is that she does it more when we are meandering at a slow pace whereas she tends to lift her feet more when we get a bit more speed up.

The bolded bit is a key factor doesn't matter how lean or fit they are if walking to slow they have to adjust there gait to balance there body.

If we see nails being warn down strangely we go straight to our bowen lady but i also now if i walked my dogs to slow they would do the same as they compensate for it

I don't think there are any natural therapy type vets around here unfortunately.

So it could simply be that she's not lifting her feet as much? If that's all it is I'm not too worried, I was worried it might have been an indication of something worse. We have been taking a few slow meandering strolls lately just enjoying the sunshine. :)

I don't think there are any natural therapy type vets around here unfortunately.

So it could simply be that she's not lifting her feet as much? If that's all it is I'm not too worried, I was worried it might have been an indication of something worse. We have been taking a few slow meandering strolls lately just enjoying the sunshine. :)

It could be other factors but that would be one i would keep in mind