Pet Insurance Exclusions

Flickett

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this... I got my dogs vet history emailed to me so I can assess if its worthwhile even getting insurance. Here are some of the vets comments:

11/2010

Occ scratching on ventrum and axilla. Today not too bad, mild erythema in groin.

02/2011

Reason: Arthritis/lame

Acute onset lameness in LH yesterday. Was initially 5/5 lame. Is much better today.

Examination:

Bar in consult. V mild lameness LH, poss 1/5

Pain isolated to flexion of MTP jt toe 5 LH. Also a little painful w pressure across distal

metatarsus.

NAD else on exam.

Diagnosis:

Susp toe sprain injury. Cannot rule out chip # but improvement seems too rapid

11/2011

O says occasionally mild limp.Does vigorous activity-chasing/jumping after frisbees!!

Palpation joints-no obvious crepitus,patella luxation or pain but dog very excitable and

hard to assess limbs thoroughly

Recc change exercise routine to more swimming and walking,throw frisbee over water

for retrieval to limit impact on joints,recc cartrophen trial,daily 1g fish oils may be also

helpful.

If lameness worsens,then will need need ga and manip/rads erc.

06/2012

Reason: Lump On Leg

Sudden development 1 cm diameter raised plaque on lateral aspect left foreleg, halfway

down radius and ulna. Developed 10 days ago, got worse quite rapidly. O has bathed

with betadine, and has improved slightly since then. Dog still licking at it though. No

other skin complaints - no hair loss, no foot licking, no ear problems.

O other problems, dog in good health, active, EDUF all normal.

Expressed mass - purrulent. Skin scraped, no causative agent seen. Negative to

woodslamp. May have been single trigger, such as bite or sting, or may be some ongoing

pathology. Will Rx symptomatically with betaine scrub and a/biotics. INI in 5 days,

recheck with view to biospy.

Is there any insurer who would cover for this stuff after a waiting period without any issues? Or are we stuffed? We have savings and a credit card handy for emergencies but I really wish I had her insured earlier :( even though we're much more careful now about jumping and vigorous exercise, I believe she will have major issues with arthritis. She's only 4 years old.

PetPlan covered my dog for back problems/lameness even though that had been in her history 3 or 4 years ago. There had been no treatment in that area for at least 2 years before I insured her. I can't recall how long she had been insured before I needed to claim for back problems again. I actually insured her to cover things like bloat but the back problems have reared their ugly head.

PetPlan covered my dog for back problems/lameness even though that had been in her history 3 or 4 years ago. There had been no treatment in that area for at least 2 years before I insured her. I can't recall how long she had been insured before I needed to claim for back problems again. I actually insured her to cover things like bloat but the back problems have reared their ugly head.

Interestingly, Fergs got a stick stuck in his mouth when he was a wee pup. It was removed then-and-there by the vet and then I changed to PetPlan. Almost 6 years on "stick in mouth" is still an exclusion...

Interestingly, Fergs got a stick stuck in his mouth when he was a wee pup. It was removed then-and-there by the vet and then I changed to PetPlan. Almost 6 years on "stick in mouth" is still an exclusion...

I've heard of people applying to get exclusions removed. You know, just in case he gets another stick in his mouth and you need to claim for it :laugh:

This thread comes at a time when I'm considering insuring Cleo, after our adventures this year. I insured my puppy with PetPlan after all that I read on here but I'm having trouble deciding if I should do Cleo as well...she's had hayfever type allergies (skin flare up + eye gunk) and this year was the year of the bladder stones. Bladder stones are going to be the biggest thing in our future, but I don't know if they would cover her for that - because Dalmatians are prone to them anyway as a breed, and now we have evidence of Cleo having them.

I think I'll email them and ask, and pop back in here with an answer so others can take it on board.

I suppose cause it was so vague in my dogs case, dogs that play hard sometimes get hurt. Now we have a diagnoses with a disk problem it might be excluded as well but there is also no way to tell if the disk problem was the cause of the occasional visit to the vet way back then. I think you could get that exclusion lifted :D