Do Dogs Have Doggy Crushes?

Guest donatella

It is interesting watching the interactions of dogs..

Zig definitely prefers to interact with some dogs more than others.

He is very uncertain around dominant dogs, the ones tha run in and stand over him and usually comes directly to me and stays with me if one arrives at the dog park (we tend to leave if he ever does this).

He likes to be around younger dogs and pups and tries to instigate play a fair bit.

it seems to be the ones that 'play hard to get' which end up as the recipient of doggy crushes, going by the stories in this thread :laugh:

It all sounds adorable ... Juno displays all the silly wiggly behaviour mentioned, but she is a little but of a hussy, and does it to every dog she meets :o

Zoe, who is dog aggressive, has had a couple of doggy 'crushes'. One, when I lived with my parents, was an older male Golden Retriever who often wandered on his own, she just adored him! Another was a male Kelpie we met at training, who is owned by a lady who is now a friend of mine who breeds Kelpies. I told her that Zoe was not good with other dogs, and all Zoe wanted to do was flirt with her dog! :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

Why on earth not ? Where is your proof, please? I am sure the thousands of anecdotal stories would say you are absolutely incorrect.

I could well be incorrect - I'm good at that ;)

A crush - usually a human adolescent thing - is , AFAIK , when a young person projects all sorts of things onto the object of their interest /desire . It is also a way to prepare for adult romantic love - a way to practice linking someone to fantasies .. a way to survive rejections and disinterest in a gentler way before adult relationships :)

Persephone, I'm with you that I'm wary about applying human relationship words. But there's so many parallels in what dogs do... that's it's tempting! And they are social animals.... same as humans. And I don't have any other words. :)

We've weaseled out of it by calling it the 'doggie politics' around here. (But that's just as human as 'crush' :laugh: )

Like, Lily the tibbie next door doesn't like other dogs.... unless they're a fellow tibbie. But when Boris, the shih tzu X came to stay for a week, she turned into a star-struck groupie. Followed him everywhere... he ignored her.

And when our tibbie, Annie first came, the breeder said she didn't like big dogs. Well, Annie took one look at the greyhounds next door.... was a bit stunned.... soooo tall. Then she, too, turned into a groupie. First thing each morning, she waits at the fence until the greyhounds get out of bed.

Maybe, as you've said, it's some kind of doggie 'respect'.

Edited by mita

Pretty sure doggy lust was closer to the mark with my girl, and she wasn't even close to being in season. She just fancied the poor soul on sight. It was embarassing ridiculous just really very funny. :laugh:

Edited by Diva

I've just remembered. When I had my first two little Maltese, there was an elderly Bull Terrier down the road who was totally in love with Calypso. He would whine and yelp and slobber and I'd pick Calypso up so he could sniff her. Poor Calypso was smaller than his head :eek: .

Anyway, this went on a couple of years and Calypso died of heart failure (damaged from birth) at just 3 and a half. The first time I walked past Dog's house with just Nammu, Dog went hysterical. It was dreadful to see. Nammu and I were both dealing with the loss of Calypso and to see how affected Dog was just intensified our sorror.

Dog was literally throwing himself at the fence, spinning and running up and down, salivating wildly, and obviously knew that something was very wrong and felt it deeply.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding why people have trouble applying human relationship words to the way dogs feel. We don't have a problem with saying that our dog is afraid of something, or my dog doesn't like such and such, or my dog loves going to the beach. Where on earth is the problem in saying my dog has a crush on another dog?

:shrug::shrug:

Frankly, I don't consider being called Anthropomorphic an insult. Suits me fine :laugh: :laugh:

My girl usually doesn't give most other dogs the time of day. She is very aloof mostly & can be DA if the right buttons are pushed. Thats until she spots Jake, a 60+ kg Malumute boy. She adores him & just melts whenever they meet. She talks her head off & licks his face to bits. He tolerates all of this, just stands there like eye's roll...." are you done yet" then off he trots. Very funny to watch :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Pretty sure doggy lust was closer to the mark with my girl, and she wasn't even close to being in season. She just fancied the poor soul on sight. It was embarassing ridiculous just really very funny. :laugh:

I love it! Instant doggie lust. :laugh: We're missing out on this, with our desexed girls.

I thought she may have found a boyfriend :rofl:

Maybe she realises he's elderly

Maybe she is into sugar daddy's lol

My elderly Gussy Cat has a Toy Boy - he lives down the road and visits her every day, even to the extent of climbing into my bedroom where she spends most of her time. I had some beautiful pix of them playing taken some years ago, but I think I threw the disc out thinking it was an empty faulty one :cry: