Desex Age

fluff1234

I agree, time to call a professional behaviourist. Someone might be able to recommend some in your area.

Also if your obedience school is getting you to do the same thing over and over and over again and you realise your dog is loosing interest, you can stop and have a break, play a game etc.

Agree with nic.b you and this pup are having communication problems .. and there are training issues which are better sorted now . I also suggest a professional .. one RECOMMENDED by somone who has used them .. D O L can help find someone who is not just in it for the money ..or who has a flashy website ;)

Your pup is growing up quickly .. and desperately needs guidelines and guidelines .

many many folks have entire pups/dogs .. and , believe me .. the 'evil hormones' are NOT responsible for all the bad behaviour .Understanding /training /consistency and training .... these are most important .

Ask to help find someone who can talk to you /assess the pup's temperament /behaviour, and then point you in a direction ....

Also, this growling was a day AFTER we went to my friends for the evening with him, she has two dogs and one snapped at him constantly, I was over protective and shileded him and kept telling him to leave her alone, but he didnt seem bothered, infact he tried to keep playing with her, the male did growl at him but was OK and let them sniff each other, do you think it could be something to do with that? the male was pretty dominant over him and did pin him down and he let him pin him down, in a submissive way, until the female tried to nip at his butt, whilst he was down!

I thought it would be fun play with friends dogs, but didnt work out that way!

he did submitt to this dog and has in the past to his sister, so unsure if he is OVERLY dominant just challenging?

Edited by fluff1234

Can i just check

Is growling/snapping which he has just done twice in 2 days too hubbywhen he left him inside to collect the poo and when he come in he snapped, growled and stormed out, like he was mad he put him inside or this morning to our eldest when he stroked his head when he was lay down, is it hormonal? He is NOT normally like that at all, he does grumble and moan but doesnt snap or growl????

Not hormonal at all. That is something totally different and needs looking into asap.

Also, this growling was a day AFTER we went to my friends for the evening with him, she has two dogs and one snapped at him constantly, I was over protective and shileded him and kept telling him to leave her alone, but he didnt seem bothered, infact he tried to keep playing with her, the male did growl at him but was OK and let them sniff each other, do you think it could be something to do with that? the male was pretty dominant over him and did pin him down and he let him pin him down, in a submissive way, until the female tried to nip at his butt, whilst he was down!

I thought it would be fun play with friends dogs, but didnt work out that way!

he did submitt to this dog and has in the past to his sister, so unsure if he is OVERLY dominant just challenging?

I wouldn't think this would trigger snapping at your husband and son.

One of them might have hurt him though and he could be sore. Might be worth getting a vet to check him out? Hard to say but finding a really good behaviourist is a really good starting point. Something is clearly not working the way it should here.

Thanks for all your replies, info and help xx

well all

a development, not sure if this explains the issues we suddenly had? I guess time will tell?

I noticed he was pacing around yesterday a lot and again today, actually he has been increasingly pacing for the whole week... The last 2 days he has been crying to go out and not actually wanting to go out, we thought he was too hot, then I noticed he was obsessively licking his testicles today and rang the vets. They told me too take him in.

When we got there, they needed too sedate him as he was so sore, it appears he has a 'hot spot' on his testicles and they had to shave them and put cream on and he is on meds for 2 weeks and has to keep a cone on so he doesn't keep licking for a few days. He has caused the hair too Matt around the area with the heat, friction from walking about etc... and then licking, which has causes the swelling and irritation and soreness. He must of been in pain for a while without it being obvious until today there was something wrong. I have noticed him being a little funny the entire week but it has been so hot, he wasn't crying or in obvious distress and has been eating, going for walks, toileting normally, training at home and running around the garden with the kids, so I didn't suspect anything other than the heat. I am now wondering if this could of been the cause of the growling/snapping on the few occasions, he has NOT done this since.

Edited by fluff1234

Thanks all xxx the breeder came today and gave him a good look over and is super happy with him and his temperament and pretty sure it was the hot spot and pain.

He has been normal over the last 24-48 hours and no more growls etc since my husband.. He is on meds for 2 weeks and cream for a week. My poor boy :( xx

Edited by fluff1234

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update. Thanks to everyone who replied. Casper is back to his normal self, hot spot healed and he is being much better behaved :) No more growls at all. We are currently holding of in desexing for now, he is now 7 mths old. He is marking outside everywhere in our garden, but we havent had any issues indoors or on walks. I dont have a problem with him marking the fenceline, but we do when he is marking the legs op the gazebo, expecially when we are sat in it! So will be trying to alter that. He hasnt been training over Xmas and with the hot spot and is far more chilled, I think training stresses him in the heat. I know Samoyeds dislike repetative stuff anyway as they get bored, his breeder says 20 mins in enough, so an hr is too much for him, we think. We will continue for now though, but be a little more thoughful to him when he gets fed up and take a break.

Overall, he is an amazing pup, he listens to me mostly and pretty much follows me everywhere.

He is a BIG boy, last time we weighed him was weeks ago and he was over 25 kg, so he is probably way more now! He will be like his dad :)

Agree with LisaCC and Persephone (and the others who also recognise the physical affect of desexing prior to completion of physical growth).

Humping isn't generally sexual and can and does often occur in de-sexed dogs as well, so desexing by itself won't necessarily make the difference you might imagine. It often begins as instinctive exploratory behaviour and as the dog's developmental phases progress (and these will still progress - hormones still exist after desexing otherwise the dog would not survive), can become a demonstration of assertiveness. It is not acceptable and should be appropriately discouraged.

Also agree that desexing doesn't magically give you a dog who is compliant, who walks on the lead nicely. That does come down to training. Desexing might round an edge, so to speak, but that's only a "might" and it's only the very edge and only in certain circumstances, not all.

Edited by Erny