Boxer Dog With Only 2 Legs

flame ryder

I saw a video of a border collie/huntaway in NZ with only two legs. It was a feel good segment at the end of the news. He lost them through accidents on the farm. He had one front and the opposite rear remaining. He could still go up into the hills and round up sheep.

:) that's very different .. he was still able to be independent and to walk/run comfortably ..as a dog ... with his back parallel to the ground . Good for him!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no fan of prolonging life for the sake of it but my concern is that many posters in this thread were making a judgement that IN THIS CASE the pup should have been euthed - full stop no questions asked. If it were me making the decision I'd like to think I'd make it in the best interests of the animal and with compassion in mind. I don't feel I have enough information about the animal, its carers, or its prospects for life enjoyment to presume that death is the best outcome for this animal IN THIS CASE. Maybe you all have information beyond this thread that sheds more light in the situation?

As Dyzney said - we are all entitled to our opinions. My opinion is that we shouldn't be so quick to judge about matters of life and death when we don't have all the facts at hand.

For me, who ran a large all-breeds rescue for 6 years and who is now a breeder, euthanising this pup at birth would be based on compassion. I would be very sad to have to pts BUT firmly believe that a dog, designed to walk on 4 legs, having to walk on only two (when they are two front or two rear) is cruel because of the damage that will be caused to the dog's spine and the pain that it would be in as a result. Dogs will wag their tails and look happy when in quite severe pain - the pain MUST be taken into consideration IMO.

I saw a video of a border collie/huntaway in NZ with only two legs. It was a feel good segment at the end of the news. He lost them through accidents on the farm. He had one front and the opposite rear remaining. He could still go up into the hills and round up sheep.

:) that's very different .. he was still able to be independent and to walk/run comfortably ..as a dog ... with his back parallel to the ground . Good for him!

Yep agree, very different.

I would have euthanised at birth as well if the prognosis at the point deemed the deformities would mean amputation of both legs. However, we don't know this. The prognosis may have been much better at that point. Who knows what the story is behind it but I did wince thinking of the pressure on this dogs spine and shoulder muscles.

I do think that puppy is suffering, and I do think it will continue to suffer, and perhaps the suffering will increase as the force on the front legs increases. He is already not running straight on the front legs. I would suspect that there is already too much pressure on them, and from that, leg ailments come, and continue. They probably hurt him now.

Sometimes dying is the best option.

And I would have pts at birth too, had I been the breeder. There can be no suffering, for any reason whatsoever. Not ever.