Dogs Being Restrained In Cars

tlc

Sorry if there is a thread on this already, I searched but came up with nothing. My mum and my hubby heard today about new laws about restraining dogs in cars, does anyone have details on the ins and outs? I can't seem to find anything recent googling only stuff back from 2011.

Edited to add, I just found THIS but it doesn't say how they should be restrained, if they need to be in a harness or a collar clip to the seatbelt if they are on the back seat or if they are still allowed to sit in the front if properly restrained?

Edited by tlc

Thanks heaps I'll have a read, we are travelling on the weekend and my OH is panicking now that we haven't got the right restraints for the dogs and how do we restrain 4 in the back seat, but I pointed out that 1 or 2 can go in the back of the wagon behind the cargo barrier.

He may have also heard the latest results from the NRMA who tested 25 different car harnesses and found that only 2 actually don't break. Here's an article about the results:

NRMA dog Car Restraints

There is a video about this test too floating around on Facebook and in the interview, the guy from the NRMA does say that perhaps there needs to be new laws introduced regarding dog restraints in cars. It also comments that for the record in NSW, it is not illegal to have your dog unrestrained INSIDE the car, only on the backs of utes.

He may have also heard the latest results from the NRMA who tested 25 different car harnesses and found that only 2 actually don't break. Here's an article about the results:

NRMA dog Car Restraints

There is a video about this test too floating around on Facebook and in the interview, the guy from the NRMA does say that perhaps there needs to be new laws introduced regarding dog restraints in cars. It also comments that for the record in NSW, it is not illegal to have your dog unrestrained INSIDE the car, only on the backs of utes.

We were posting at the same time. I'm still unsure about the actual laws as far as restraining, the article says "It is not a legal requirement that pets be restrained in a vehicle - rather, road users can be fined or lose points from their license if they have an animal on their lap while driving, while in some cases a driver could be fined for negligent driving if an animal is causing a distraction to the driver."

So if that's the case they can be in the back seat behind a barrier but not be strapped or clipped in?

There are other car harnesses which have been crash tested.. I didn't see the full list of 25 the NRMA are talking about but the only crash tested ones I ever knew about were the "Ruff Rider Roadie" and the "Canine Champion"…

1386074847[/url]' post='6361626']
1386074558[/url]' post='6361620']

NRMA dog Car Restraints

We were posting at the same time. I'm still unsure about the actual laws as far as restraining, the article says "It is not a legal requirement that pets be restrained in a vehicle - rather, road users can be fined or lose points from their license if they have an animal on their lap while driving, while in some cases a driver could be fined for negligent driving if an animal is causing a distraction to the driver."

So if that's the case they can be in the back seat behind a barrier but not be strapped or clipped in?

The bolded part answers your question. Provided the dog(s) aren't distracting the driver, they do not need to be restrained. If they're bouncing all around the backseat then yes, the police may deem them as distracting and issue fines. If the dogs are quietly lying in the back area or back seat, then according to the law as it currently stands you cannot be issued fines.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Yep that makes sense, it's common sense really, I've recently got myself a barrier for between the two front seats so if the dogs are in the back seat they can't get over the front but on long trips they are clipped in anyway or in the back of the wagon behind the other cargo barrier.

Jess they look good, similar in looks and price to the click it. How's your pup going, I guess not a pup any more!

We have an el cheapo type harness from the farm center with a fabric loop that you can thread the seatbelt through... Have landed myself + dog in a ditch with it and it did a surprisingly good job at holding the dog in his seat. Not sure about whiplash and stuff but the dog didn''t collide with the dash (was in single cab ute) and was fine afterwards..... I was going about 110 (which is the speed limit on our highway) when I encountered a patch of gravel and a watertruck with a line of cars behind it waiting for me around a corner.. There'd been no signage about this what-so-ever so I had to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting the line of cars and could not use oncoming lane due to lack of visibility.. I ended up having to choose between skidding into the rear of a car or off the road (thankfully there were no trees and only a gentle grassy slope, no ditch) so I chose the nature strip.... Not sure what speed we were going by this point but the dog, the ute and I were all fine...

Might have been different for the dog without the harness though, it was a somewhat bumpy ride down the slope...

Of my 4 dogs, 2 are always restrained by a harness and proper buckled seatbelt attachment - I don't like the loop ones you thread the seatbelt through, but prefer the ones that look like a lead with one end having a clip connection for the seatbelt buckle.

The other 2 dogs are older, and they have always travelled unrestrained - but they have also been trained to lie down on the back seat and not move about whilst the car is in motion. It can be done as long as you are consistent about it.

If I have to take more than one dog with me in the car, one will invariably be crated in the back part of the wagon, and the other harnessed on the back seat.

Peace of mind can't be bought really...

T.