Golden Retriever

Gabbi

Hello,

Not sure if this is a hopeless question however worth a shot.

Our beautiful Charlie passed away earlier this year and as he found us (turned up on our doorstep one day) we have no idea of his history. He seems to have a slightly longer mussel than some of the English GR's however still had the strong head and squarish jaw unlike the American. One vet did say he had an English microchip.

I'm really out of my depth on this topic however we are looking to get another GR and would like to find the same type of retriever if possible.

I have attached a couple of photos.

Thanks for your time.

Gabbi

post-50919-0-62511300-1385429817_thumb.jpg

post-50919-0-01691400-1385429825_thumb.jpg

With the circumstance you're in I don't think there is any way of telling where he came from. I assume you have tried tracing his microchip when you first got him?

Best chance you have of getting a similar looking dog is to start researching breeders, have a good look at their dogs and find someone who is breeding a similar style to your boy.

Edited by Bjelkier

Hello,

Our beautiful Charlie passed away earlier this year and as he found us (turned up on our doorstep one day) we have no idea of his history. He seems to have a slightly longer mussel than some of the English GR's however still had the strong head and squarish jaw unlike the American. One vet did say he had an English microchip.

I'm really out of my depth on this topic however we are looking to get another GR and would like to find the same type of retriever if possible.

Thanks for your time.

Gabbi

he was a beautiful boy .. but without a pedigree , you have no proof his parentage was all Golden retriever :(

Just in those pics .. to me he looks like a labxgoldie ....?

I hope you find a companion with the same temperament as your gorgeous boy :)

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

Gabbi

he was a beautiful boy .. but without a pedigree , you have no proof his parentage was all Golden retriever :(

You make a good point. He looks very similar to my 'Lab' who we're sure is actually a goldie x lab but since he came from a puppy farmer we will never know.

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

Gabbi

You make a good point. He looks very similar to my 'Lab' who we're sure is actually a goldie x lab but since he came from a puppy farmer we will never know.

Thankyou both! Thats an interesting point and one that I hadn't thought of. He did have a long coat but was clipped in these pictures due to the heat in summer. Even with a long coat you think a labxgoldie might be possible. I suppose, who knows!!!

as someone else said, go and look at the web sites of the breeders on here and see if there is a breeder that has the type you like.

and there is always golden retriever rescue if you do not want to go through the puppy stage again :-)

best of luck and we need photo's if you get a new dog :-)

If he was microchipped when he was found by you what did the original owners say he was? I'm sure you simply didn't keep a dog with an English microchip that wound up on your doorstep without him going through the pound system. I'd hate to think that he may actually have been a pedigreed imported Golden Retriever.

My first thought was Lab x Golden too.If you got another pup you would not know what he / she would look like when they grew up .

If you want a Golden retriever find a good breeder; health temperament should be your first priority .

Thankyou all for taking the time to reply! In reply to Trisven13, he literally turned up on our balcony a few nights in a row and started to sleep there. We found the owners and they asked if we wanted him and didn't want to discuss him any further. Shame really, although he ended up enjoying a wonderful life. I was only young when we inherited him, now wishing I'd done a little more research into his history.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be sure to post pics of our new family member when he/she arrives :)

Sounds like he was very lucky that he found you and you him then :)

When looking into a new puppy don't forget to do your research on the kinds of illnesses that the pup's parents should be tested for and other conditions that can affect the breed and make sure the breeder is doing the relevant tests :)

Yep looks Lab cross but the reality is you will never replace what you have lost new dog new history new features .

All you can do is talk with breeders of go to a Goldie show & see what is out there

Goldie show is a good idea. I'll take a look. Yes I agree there is no point trying to replace, need to embrace a new dog with it's own personality, looks and heart.

Yep looks Lab cross but the reality is you will never replace what you have lost new dog new history new features .

All you can do is talk with breeders of go to a Goldie show & see what is out there

Goldie show is a good idea. I'll take a look. Yes I agree there is no point trying to replace, need to embrace a new dog with it's own personality, looks and heart.

+1 on the golden x Lab.

You might want to try a gun dog show . .. and look at both Labs and goldies. May be that some of the traits you loved came from the Lab side.

What people are saying about not replacing, and embracing the new dog for itself makes sense. But on the other hand, if you're looking for a gun dog temperament, you don't buy a terrier or a herding dog.

It's worth finding words for the temperament features that you loved in Charlie and would like to see again. If you find a good breeder, they can help you select a pup that fits the bill.