How Muchwould You Expect To Pay For Pet Minding?

kelpiecuddles

Just curious. I used to do it a little bit many years ago but recently I've been given the opportunity to take over a friends little on the side pet sitting business as she is moving in to full time work. I'll be keeping some of her prices but I'm also offering a few services she doesn't already offer so I was wondering whether people might be willing to tell me how much they would expect to pay for each of these things:

Quick visit(as in 10 minute drop by to take a dog out to the loo)

Feed, pooper scoop yard/litter tray and bit of a play in the yard for 1-3 animals (couple of cats and a dog or vice versa for eg.)

Feed, pooper scoop and proper walk for 1-2 dogs

Two feeds per day plus a walk for 1-2 dogs

Special needs animal requiring an extended visit to administer medications or similiar

boarding of small animals such as guinea pigs or birds at my house, per cage per day (please note that I am able to sufficiently quarantine small animals from my own, this is important to me to be able to do this, especially with birds)

ETA: In terms of experience I have many years experience with my own animals which include everything from dogs, to reptiles, to large parrots, small fluffies and high end fish tank set ups. I also have vet nursing experience and have worked as a zoo keeper.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I worked for a pet minding company (as in going to other people's places while they're away, not minding other dogs in your own home - which imo is recipe for disaster) and during holiday periods what most people wanted was an AM and a PM feed, cleaning up of the yard and a walk (for dogs). It was around $35 plus an additional 15 per additional dog. For a once day visit to single/multiple cats inc cleaning litter tray etc, it was a lot cheaper, around $25. I always included play sessions for the active kitties, of course. :D

How separate are you able to keep birds? Obviously you are aware of the major quarantine issues - it sounds like a headache! Having to disinfect everything and keep all supplies separate, constant washing of hands etc.. I don't even like my parrot going on branches outdoors when he goes for walks :laugh:

My parrots are kept on a totally separate property to where I live so I am able to board birds at my house without having to have them close to any other birds. I've personally had psittacosis so I know how crap it is and have worked in an AQIS quarantine facility so I'm comfy with what must be done :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I worked for a pet minding company (as in going to other people's places while they're away, not minding other dogs in your own home - which imo is recipe for disaster) and during holiday periods what most people wanted was an AM and a PM feed, cleaning up of the yard and a walk (for dogs). It was around $35 plus an additional 15 per additional dog. For a once day visit to single/multiple cats inc cleaning litter tray etc, it was a lot cheaper, around $25. I always included play sessions for the active kitties, of course. :D

How separate are you able to keep birds? Obviously you are aware of the major quarantine issues - it sounds like a headache! Having to disinfect everything and keep all supplies separate, constant washing of hands etc.. I don't even like my parrot going on branches outdoors when he goes for walks :laugh:

I am curious to know why it's a "recipe for disaster" to care for someone else's dog in your own home. Not at all questioning your expertise on the subject but because I am looking at going down this path with my own dog - having him cared for in someone else's home rather than a kennel. It's through an agency who does this kind of thing. I will be away for too long to have someone visit once or twice a day to feed/walk/clean for my boy - he's an indoor boy who loves human company. I believe that I will have the opportunity to meet the carer and inspect their property before agreeing to them looking after him.

Sorry to hijack thread with my own question :o

I am hoping that this will work - I had to fill in a lengthy questionnaire and had a very long conversation with a lady about my requirements. She said that they would match my dog with a person suitable and then we all had to meet - dog included - to ensure that it was the right fit - if not, there is no obligation to use that person and they would find someone else - or I could cancel altogether. Sounded professional - hope it works out - I am absolutely paranoid of anything happening to my boy!

Good luck with your venture - if it were me I'd be happy to pay roughly what a boarding kennel would charge - possibly a bit extra given the more personalised service.

My aunt uses the same sort of service in Melbourne and has been very happy, hers is a breed specific service.

The prices people have listed here are actually more than what I was thinking so Ill have a bit more of a think and maybe tweak a few things although there are a lot of low income earners around here son I have to be careful not to price myself out of the market.