Grain Free Food

goldenluv

Hi just found out about this food, my boy has to have grain free.

has anyone used it & what do you think of it?

Next Generation pet foods

http://nextgenerationpetfoods.com.au/dry-food-for-dogs/

Holistic Dog GRAINFREE 20 kg

Ingredients: Meat ( Poultry Meal & Meat, Duck & Meat meals ) Vegetables and vegetable meals (including Potato, Peas, Carrots, Pumpkin ) Potato & Tapioca starch, Tallows and oils ( Poultry & Vegetable ) Beet pulp, Chicken digest, Oilseeds, (Canola & Linseed ) Egg powder, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins ( A, D, E, B1, B5, B6 Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic acid, B12 ) and minerals ( Calcium, Phosphorous, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium ) Kelp Meal, Choline Chloride, Soy Lecithin powder, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic powder, Tomato powder, Potassium sorbate, Natural antioxidants.

Typical Analysis ; Crude Protein 26%, Crude Fat 14%, Crude Fibre 5%, Salt 1.2%

"chicken digest" sounds pretty odd :confused:

Digest is a poor source of protein (compared to other options).

AAFCO definition of it is Material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed.

"chicken digest" sounds pretty odd :confused:

Digest is a poor source of protein (compared to other options).

AAFCO definition of it is Material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and un-decomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed.

Yep, I googled and saw that, sounds appetising :eek:

Combined with the fact they don't even tell you what meat is in it (generic poultry as the main ingredient), I'd be looking for something better quality.

Manufacturers will use a generic meat name to capture the fact that they may have variations in supply from time to time and its not possible to reprint packaging. It is not necessarily a bad thing to use a generic term bit it does indicate that they might not have committed supply of raw ingredients.

After the major finding that dogs have increased genetic capability to digest starch, as opposed to wolves, I don't see what the big deal is about being grain free. Furthermore, the devotees of the paleo diet (for humans) regard potatoes and other starchy tubers as being just as bad as grains . . . so what's so good about ditching rice and putting in sweet potatoes or whatever.

I've know plenty of dogs that reached a healthy old age eating supermarket-brand dry food that contained a lot of corn.

I use something a bit higher grade cause it keeps their coats nicer and I don't like to skimp on my much-loved dogs.

But grain free seems like just one more fad, and an opportunity to pay an extra $20 for a big bag.

Edited by sandgrubber

After the major finding that dogs have increased genetic capability to digest starch, as opposed to wolves, I don't see what the big deal is about being grain free. Furthermore, the devotees of the paleo diet (for humans) regard potatoes and other starchy tubers as being just as bad as grains . . . so what's so good about ditching rice and putting in sweet potatoes or whatever.

I've know plenty of dogs that reached a healthy old age eating supermarket-brand dry food that contained a lot of corn.

I use something a bit higher grade cause it keeps their coats nicer and I don't like to skimp on my much-loved dogs.

But grain free seems like just one more fad, and an opportunity to pay an extra $20 for a big bag.

Me neither. Unless your dog has allergies, what's the difference between grain as a filler and starchy vegetables or beet pulp as fillers? confused.gif

Kind of echoes the gluten free fad for humans at the moment.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Me neither. Unless your dog has allergies, what's the difference between grain as a filler and starchy vegetables or beet pulp as fillers? confused.gif

Kind of echoes the gluten free fad for humans at the moment.

I don't like beet pulp because I have noted a marked increase in tear staining with any product containing it.