Is There A List Of Numbers Of Each Breed Registered In Aus?

kelpiecuddles

The ANKC stats show the number registered per year. Are you wanting to know how many registered in total? I'm not sure they'd have that. Keeping the details of deaths would be impossible I'd think so you would never have a true reflection of numbers.

It is new registrations. I don't think keeping track of deaths is very accurate, tbh. But if you knew an average age for a breed (including accidental deaths which brings it down quite a bit for some breeds) you could have a good guess at the likely population at any point. The Swedish or Finnish, I forget which, keep good stats on cause of death and average age, by breed, for their country.

You might as well pick a figure from the air though. Whilst average lifespan is fine the variables such as accidental death and owner initiated euthanasia alone would mean a huge variance in numbers.

Edited by ~Anne~

You might as well pick a figure from the air though. Whilst average lifespan is find, the variables such as accident and euthanasia alone would mean a huge variance in numbers.

No, it would be more accurate than picking a figure from the air.

There could be quite a large numerical variance in some breeds simply due to the large number of dogs registered but I would think for others the variance would be relatively small, small enough to at least give a vague idea of total registrations.

The nature of the breed and how it is kept would give me more confidence in an estimate too. For example, The Finnish stats give an average lifespan for Bassets of 8 yrs 6 months taking into account all causes - illness, old age, accident, and euthanasia for any reason. I don't know anything that would make me think that was a breed likely to vary wildly in its average lifespan between the two countries (average age of death from old age alone, natural or euth, is 12yrs 3 months but the other causes bring it down a lot). Nor would my breed vary much from Finland I think, with an average lifespan there from all causes of 8 yrs 7 months and from old age alone 11 yrs 1 month, which would correlate very closely with what I would guess for Australia. But in other breeds I would expect to see greater regional differences due to lifestyle or genetic concentrations of particular diseases. Edited by Diva

Exactly what I was thinking Diva. the issues facing Finnish bassets would be much the same as those facing Aussie bassets I would think, although I think in general our Aussie bassets sport a little less of the excess skin, etc that seem to cause some of the overseas bassets some grief. Bassets are quite prone to problems if kept overweight and I'd wager a lot of those early deaths would be attributable to preventable health issues related to weight such as injuries and heart disease, etc., part of the reason I'm so anal about keeping my bassets on the lean side. I had Josie to the vet last week and the vet was absolutely thrilled with her condition and said how good it is to see a basset that's not carrying too much weight, hopefully it puts her in good stead for as long a healthy life as possible!