Collars Harmful?

Poodle wrangler

The only problem is I would like him to wear his ID tags during the day at home as well (when he isn't wearing his harness).

Thanks for the recommendation for the Ezy Dog harness. I will check them out :)

I sometimes worry about my guys not having ID tags unless we are out walking (ie: unless they have their harness on) but I'd worry about them more if they were left alone with a collar just due to their neck and head being similar sizes and the chances of it slipping over their head and getting stuck on the face/mouth/head/etc

The only time Max wore a collar was when she was a teeeny baby and she was in a kitten collar for lead walking, because she was too small for even the kitten harness I had, and even then all she had to do was put her head down, shake and it fell off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maeby Fünke

The only problem is I would like him to wear his ID tags during the day at home as well (when he isn't wearing his harness).

Thanks for the recommendation for the Ezy Dog harness. I will check them out :)

I sometimes worry about my guys not having ID tags unless we are out walking (ie: unless they have their harness on) but I'd worry about them more if they were left alone with a collar just due to their neck and head being similar sizes and the chances of it slipping over their head and getting stuck on the face/mouth/head/etc

The only time Max wore a collar was when she was a teeeny baby and she was in a kitten collar for lead walking, because she was too small for even the kitten harness I had, and even then all she had to do was put her head down, shake and it fell off.

My Pug has a big head and collars seem to stay on him okay. But even when he was a puppy, before his head filled out, he didn't have any problems.

Being a quick release collar I'm hoping it will come undone if it ever gets stuck on him.

Not particularly OSS - but we'll never know the real cause(s) of his LP - Genetic, collars, disease process, susceptibility? All the above?

But at the back of my mind it freaks me out to think I might have caused or contributed to his LP frown.gif. There I've said it frown.gifcrying.gif So I try not to think about it - as I'll never know. But it is interesting that LP is more common in large breeds - something to do with controlling bigger dogs through their collars? I genuinely don't know - I've just decided to be very cautious and only use harnesses.

I really feel the whole issue of LP and collars needs some serious research.

Edited by westiemum

Interesting. In 15 years at vet hospitals I have never seen a large dog with LP. Only smaller dogs and many with no history of collar pulling, etc etc. Mainly put down to genetics. The largest around JR size, granted I haven't worked at a Vet hospital since 2005

Hmn... Yes very interesting.smile.gif

Michigan State University which seems to be the centre of all things LP says it's particularly common in a couple of large breeds and Mac's surgeon said the same thing - cos I joked that clearly Mac hadn't read the text.

Hmn... Yes very interesting.smile.gif

Michigan State University which seems to be the centre of all things LP says it's particularly common in a couple of large breeds and Mac's surgeon said the same thing - cos I joked that clearly Mac hadn't read the text.

Yep I am going to research :)