Desexing, Revolting Teeth, Advice And Recommendation Please

Fergiesmum

Hi . This is my first post so bare with me. 3 days ago I received a bischon. They said she is 5 years old, has just had pups and they had to rehome her. Without going into the appalling state she was in , the major things are her teeth. I have seen a vet to check if she has mastitis...nope :). He said she had the most awful teeth he had seen in a long time. Her breats stinks like a dead skunks butt! The vet said accord Inge to her teeth she could be a 5 year old puppy farm bitch to a 12 year old dog who had been fed crap food. Anyway , she has just stopped breast feeding/ nursing..... (What ever you call it I dogs) and the vet has suggested desexing her now and doing her teeth extractions and cleaning at the same time. My Q,s are ...A do you think extractions and desexing ( after just stopping feeding) at the same time are a good idea? B Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced vet in Brisbane ( I am at Loganholme). I volunteer for a rescue so funds are hard to come by. :(. Maylee is such a love and i need her to be pain free ASAP. Cheers.

I work at a vet that routinely does extractions on the same anaesthetic as desexing as it's less risky than putting a dog under again a short time later and gets both things out of the way. As long as she is a healthy weight I don't see the problem. Best to speak to your chosen vet though.

As a rescuer, I constantly get dogs desexed and have big dentals - one or two have lost 10+ teeth.

Better for the dog not to have to have too many anaesthetics.

They may need pain relief for a few days if they lose a lot of teeth and you are best to keep a female dog a bit quiet for a few days, no walking for 2 weeks after the surgery.

If the teeth are really bad, most vets will put the dogs on antibiotics for a few days before surgery.

Good for you giving this little girl a chance. I agree about the desexing and teeth removal at the same time if she is fit enough for the surgery. Make sure she does get antibiotics and pain relief afterwards. Does the rescue group have any arrangement with a vet for reduced rates? If not it is probably just a matter of ringing around and getting some quotes - explain she is a rescue. Maybe even the AWL Gold Coast vet clinic is worth asking as I think their rates are quite reasonable. The sooner she has her teeth done the better she will feel - must be making her miserable poor baby :(

Good luck with getting her well again.

Guest donatella

Are you able to get to Victoria Point? Koala Park Vet Clinic are wonderful run by a wife and husband vet team and very affordable. I've had both my girls desexed there at $230. Try and book with Jo or Kevin, they are very sweet and caring. The best priced per service vet I've found in Brisbane.

The Glen Vet Clinic (Jenny White) at The Gap is excellent. Our tibbie was spayed about 8 weeks after she weaned her pups. She also had a couple of teeth extracted at the same time. Total cost for spay and teeth was $300. Post surgery service was great and our girl recovered quickly with no complications. This was about 2 years ago so I am not sure if fees have changed.

I second Jo and/or Kevin at Koala Park Vet Surgery...ask for one of them when you phone for an appointment (32076041)

They are about 20 minutes from you

post-26505-0-93127500-1383771884_thumb.png

If you do decide to go they are on the left, just past the bus-stop shelter which is just past a Retirement Village and before the big shopping centre

Thanks guys I shall give The Gap and also Vicky Pt a call. Maylee is such a love and I really want to see her pain free and get rid of her manky breath. She is starting to come out of her shell and playing. So great to see. desexing,