Desexing Female Puppy

ChewieTAG

Hi,

This might have been asked in the thread before but couldn't find anything relevant after spending 30 minutes going through the search.

I am sending my little girl with super energy for desexing today and just wanting to know how to avoid UTI after the surgery.

I read about continence and UTI on desexed female, etc. So I am worried about it.

Do you think I need cranberry powder on hand just incase or to put a little bit in her water bottle after surgery to avoid it is a good idea? confused.gif

Thanks

It's never happened after ive had any of my female dogs desexed..

Hope all goes smoothly with your girl's op. When i had Miah done, it was a real non event.. wouldn't have guessed she had just had it done after.

Main thing is try your best to keep her calm as much as possible after, not jumping around. This was my main problem with Miah.. she's has super energy as well ;-)

ps Miah was just over 6 months old when she was done.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

All my life I had my females desexed if not breeding & every dog I have ever sold.

Never had even one of them get an infection or be incontinent. Try not to worry & don't give anything extra. Its the exception rather than the rule. There are thousands of desexed dogs without any problems except a common theme of tending to put on weight a bit quicker, which can be fixed.

:) You've been talking to google haven't you.

Main thing to watch is keep your girl nice and quiet for the first few days. She will have internal as well as external stitches so you need to give the wound a chance to settle. Last thing you need is pulled stitches.

Some dogs have a raspy cough for a day or two from the anaesthetic tube. It fades quickly.

Some dogs are sookier than others, don't stress if she wimpers or has a hard time getting comfortable.

After a few days, the wound may itch as it goes through the scabbing process. This is also normal.

It is also normal for the wound to raise up a little before it goes down completely and flattens out. A little redness is normal. Only worry if you see more than a reasonable amount of swelling, torn skin around the stitches, angry hot skin or pus or oozing.

UTI….I've never seen that connected directly to a desexing but I suppose it could happen?, incontinence….yes there is a chance but I've not had that either. Incontinent dogs have usually arrived that way, some were already desexed, some were not. They were effectively treated with medication.

UTI's also respond well to antibiotics.

An average for my young pound dogs would be 6 months to 2 years and there's been no issues apart from a few stitch biters.

Some I have deliberately held back from adoption until I'm happy that they have matured for desexing. (skinny stick legs, poor start to life or a puny build etc)

Edited by Powerlegs

how did it go chewak ?

Hi Jules,

Lexie was back from vet after 5pm and she is recovering from anaesthetic. I took a picture of her stitches the moment I reached home to monitor throughout.

Here is it (https://www.dropbox....%2018.10.34.jpg) and taken on her right side. If you notice, at the middle is a little bit wet. But it dried up later..

However, at midnight I begin to see the wound swell a little bit more and the same place started to 'open up' a little and is wet again. frown.gif I am panicking ! Picture (https://www.dropbox....%2000.01.30.jpg) taken at the the same right side and on the left side (https://www.dropbox....%2000.24.12.jpg).

The vet is closed tomorrow as it's Melbourne Cup (smacking my head for picking today to desexed her!) doh.gif

I was given antibiotics and pain killer but only to start tomorrow afternoon.

I don't know what to and hoping by tomorrow morning the swell will not get worst and the gap will stick together - dried up. crossfingers.gifcrossfingers.gifcrossfingers.gif

Hi ... just updating the progress...

I don't know what else I can do but to hope for Lexie's wound to dry up and stop swelling the next day.

It seems the wound is a bit wet and I do feel like it's opening up due to swelling.

Stupid me for desexing today as tomorrow is Melbourne Cup day, thus they are not open. crying.gif

Links to photos below are quite graphic.

When I got her back. Taken on her right side. There is a small wet wound in the middle but dried up later on.

However, as reached midnight, seeing the swell, I think the wound opens up a little and it's wet again. Taken from same side as above.

and from left side of her.

I did get antibiotics and pain killer from the vet and to start tomorrow afternoon. She was given antibiotic injection during the operation too.

I am panicking and do not know what I should do in the 24 hours.

Also, I am worry she is able to scratch her wound with her hind legs!!! eek1.gif

Any advice anyone? Should I get her check with another vet tomorrow if got worst or wait for the same vet? Or any way that I can dry it up? confused.gif

It looks fine to me.

They do get a little swollen and red and the suture line is not going to be dry straight away as it is trying to start healing. She will have had injectable antibiotics and pain relief so will not need to start tablets until the next day.

Everything looks quite normal so don't panic, give her lots of cuddles and relax or she will pick up on it and you will stress her out.

Is she trying to scratch or chew the sutures? some dogs don't annoy them at all, some do. Wait and see what she does.

The suture line may ooze a little for a few days, as long as there is not a heap of blood seeping out or a huge haematoma then it is normal.

Is she trying to scratch or chew the sutures? some dogs don't annoy them at all, some do. Wait and see what she does.

The suture line may ooze a little for a few days, as long as there is not a heap of blood seeping out or a huge haematoma then it is normal.

thank you!

I really could not sleep and trying to ask Google about it!

She couldn't lay down on her tummy which is normal and I think she did try to scratch with her hind legs most of the time maybe feeling weird on her wound.

I will continue to monitor and am really hoping that it will not ooze any huge amount of fluid other than just a bit wet... frown.gif

If she does try to scratch you can put a little pair of socks on her back feet and tape them on, or put a bandage around her back paws.

Even though speys are routine they are still intra-abdominal surgeries so they will be uncomfortable and a little painful - same as we would be if we had just had surgery - although they are much more stoic than us and recvoer more quickly.

You need to keep them quiet for around 10 days so they fact she is quieter is normal and what you would expect. She may even not eat properly for the next 4 or 5 days - depending on her pain tolerance. My Whippet was a total sook and the fact she can't have NSAID's didn't help, but she didn't get out of a waddle for a good week. It was 2 weeks before she got out of a trot. Now you wouldn't know!

If she does try to scratch you can put a little pair of socks on her back feet and tape them on, or put a bandage around her back paws.

I did thought of that....! biggrin.gif

The only problem is to get the smallest size available - maybe a month's old toddler's socks... frown.gif I have nothing available right now to use on her..

This girl is tiny for her size...

She kept waking up in between her nap, then stand there to scratch right now.. I am watching her like a hawk

by the way how does haematoma looks like?

A haematoma is a basically a swollen bruise (the blood collects in a pouch under the skin).

This was the easiest explanation I could find on line My link

Q: It’s been over a week since her surgery and my female pet is acting normally. She does have a little “ball” or swelling under her incision. The incision itself looks ok. Is this normal?

A: In short, yes. Many animals have a reaction to the suture used to close the incision. With a little excess activity this reaction turns into a firm “ball” just beneath the surface of the skin. As long as your pet continues to act normally, there is no redness or heat, and the ball cannot be made to disappear with gentle pressure, it is completely normal and will progressively get smaller. The process may take up to 1 month post surgery to completely go away.

A haematoma is a basically a swollen bruise (the blood collects in a pouch under the skin).

This was the easiest explanation I could find on line My link

Q: It's been over a week since her surgery and my female pet is acting normally. She does have a little "ball" or swelling under her incision. The incision itself looks ok. Is this normal?

A: In short, yes. Many animals have a reaction to the suture used to close the incision. With a little excess activity this reaction turns into a firm "ball" just beneath the surface of the skin. As long as your pet continues to act normally, there is no redness or heat, and the ball cannot be made to disappear with gentle pressure, it is completely normal and will progressively get smaller. The process may take up to 1 month post surgery to completely go away.

Thanks for the info thumbsup1.gif

STOP GOOGLING AND SCARING YOURSELF :D

if you have ever cut yourself (not scratched) etc ..what happened ? Did it get a bit red? did it seep a bit? did it swell a bit? All these things are usually normal parts of the body's trying to fix up what just happened .

Wounds will change every couple of days as the healing progresses - fluid rushes into the cells ... swelling occurs .... the stitches/shaving are sometimes itchy and may go red ....all sorts of interesting things :)

keep her occupies with toys/bones/treatballs ... don't let her jump or run really hard for a week .... and don't panic ;)

Edited by persephone