Man Eats His Own Dog

Redsonic

In my view he was unprepared, he was warned against doing it, he did do it without a sat phone or distress beacon.

Yes a bear trashed his camp but surely he woudl have had some stuff? he chose to continue on his hike not return??? I am reading that into it but I am guessing he continued and ended up in a worse situation rather than aborting the whole thing??

I may be wrong about that, just my take on it.

To me it reads he killed his dog a matter of days after, not many days after when starvation had set in.

I personally could not cope with the metal after effects if I had eaten my dog.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I'm going to call up my dad tonight and ask him what he thinks. He's an experienced hard-core hiker. He goes to places like Mt Kosciuszko National Park and camps overnight.

Whoa! That's really impressive! Overnight!!!!! Gee Whiz :laugh:

In my view he was unprepared, he was warned against doing it, he did do it without a sat phone or distress beacon.

Yes a bear trashed his camp but surely he woudl have had some stuff? he chose to continue on his hike not return??? I am reading that into it but I am guessing he continued and ended up in a worse situation rather than aborting the whole thing??

To me it reads he killed his dog a matter of days after, not many days after when starvation had set in.

If you had eaten your dog you will have to deal with the mental after effects. Either that or commit suicide. So will this guy. Seems like he has suffered enough without a bunch of judgement from the armchair know-nothing crowd.

Sheesh,why can't people just give their opinions without being so bloody rude? It's a public forum for goodness sake, of course a lot of people will see it differently. I don't understand how anyone simply giving their opinion triggers such sarcasm and outright rudeness.Totally unnecessary.

There are probably plenty of members here who have a lot of experience in the bush /wilderness, and plenty more like me who despite having grown up in the wilds of Africa; pretty much don't have any. Difference is I won't need them- because I won't deliberately place myself in the position by setting out on a trip like that unprepared. He wasn't just going for a stroll and he doesn't appear to have been properly equipped for the trip he was undertaking. I don't think that means I am part of the "arm chair know nothing crowd", rather I know my limits and therefore won't end up having to chow down on one of my dogs.

Edited by coogie

You know what, I'm going to call up my dad tonight and ask him what he thinks. He's an experienced hard-core hiker. He goes to places like Mt Kosciuszko National Park and camps overnight.

Whoa! That's really impressive! Overnight!!!!! Gee Whiz :laugh:

It's a lovely place in summer, not too hot, not too cold just right :laugh:

Sheesh,why can't people just give their opinions without being so bloody rude? It's a public forum for goodness sake, of course a lot of people will see it differently. I don't understand how anyone simply giving their opinion triggers such sarcasm and outright rudeness.Totally unnecessary.

There are probably plenty of members here who have a lot of experience in the bush /wilderness, and plenty more like me who despite having grown up in the wilds of Africa; pretty much don't have any. Difference is I won't need them- because I won't deliberately place myself in the position by setting out on a trip like that unprepared.he wasn't just going for a stroll and he doesn't appear to have been properly equipped for the trip he was undertaking. I don't think that means I am part of the "arm chair know nothing crowd", rather I know my limits and therefore won't end up having to chow down on one of my dogs.

Good post. :thumbsup: Why should everyone have the same opinion? Not the point of any public forum, corporate meeting or situation in life where you are given the opportunity to speak. :) No need for people who disagree to be unpleasant but then that's what the world is coming to these days.

Edited by dogmad

Guest Maeby Fünke

I didn't mean just one night. And my dad goes in winter when it's snowing. He's really into it and he owns all this ridiculously expensive camping gear. I spoke to him last night and he said the hiker could have followed the river downstream to find a way out. Even I know that and I hate camping!

eta

My boss is away hiking in Tasmania, and she's an American who has travelled Canada and the USA extensively. I would be interested in hearing her opinion.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

There are probably plenty of members here who have a lot of experience in the bush /wilderness, and plenty more like me who despite having grown up in the wilds of Africa; pretty much don't have any. Difference is I won't need them- because I won't deliberately place myself in the position by setting out on a trip like that unprepared.he wasn't just going for a stroll and he doesn't appear to have been properly equipped for the trip he was undertaking. I don't think that means I am part of the "arm chair know nothing crowd", rather I know my limits and therefore won't end up having to chow down on one of my dogs.

Good post. :thumbsup: Why should everyone have the same opinion? Not the point of any public forum, corporate meeting or situation in life where you are given the opportunity to speak. :) No need for people who disagree to be unpleasant but then that's what the world is coming to these days.

I agree. Great post :thumbsup:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I'm with you guys.

I'm with you guys.

Well said coogie :thumbsup:

This guy went trekking for fun. It was a disaster of his own making. His dog paid the price.

That irks me.

OK. Memo to self. Never ever do anything for fun incase of a disaster.

You do realise that people experience disaster every day of the year just 'having fun' right? This guy was an experienced hiker who frequently spent weeks alone in the wilderness. Ofcourse no one forced him to go out there. People do stuff like this all the time. What should we all do - lock ourselves in our houses just incase we become victims of something catastrophic? Just watch out for that meteor that might land on your house.

What irks you - that he had to resort to eating his dog to stay alive or that he's still alive but in critical condition?

Actually Raz, I'm acutely aware that people experience disaster just having fun. I wish I wasn't. My friend lost her father, 14 year old brother and brother in law in a boating tragedy. They were experienced, and had the required safety equipment on board. Everything that could go wrong did. Sadly, the wetsuits which could have insulated them against the cold water, weren't in the boat. In the 22 hours before rescuers spotted them, her three loved ones succumbed one after another, to hypothermia. Only their family friend survived. Nowadays, EPIRBS are available that can help searchers immensely.

Nowhere have i suggested that people shouldn't have fun. I'm all for being prepared though (god, I even travel with a first aid kit, talk about fun police). Especially if others/ my dog is dependant on me for safety. Ok, so this guy was experienced and ended up in dire circumstances. All the more reason to invest in some backup plans that you hope you'll never need (like a sat. phone, emergency beacon etc). You can have all the experience in the world, but it's good to be able to get help when you need it.

I hope he recovers. I'm not one to wish death on someone. And thanks for the tip on the meteor. :laugh:

ETA: And yes, well said Coogie.

Edited by trinabean

If you had eaten your dog you will have to deal with the mental after effects. Either that or commit suicide. So will this guy. Seems like he has suffered enough without a bunch of judgement from the armchair know-nothing crowd.

Yes fine but I had said I would not be able to cope with it. That is my observation about myself, which I am allowed to have and no-one but me would know what my mental health state may or may not be.

From what I have read even after stuff was trashed he continued, he didn't take the option of returning and going when he was re kitted out. That is how I read it, personally I couldn't give a toss how anyone else read it. Thta is my take on it. IF that is correct then I do think he did the wrong thing. IF not then so be it. Either way he will be lucky to survive.

I did have a discussion with friends whilst camping (with the dogs) about a hypothetical situation where we were lost and starving.

I feel very strongly that if I were in that situation and there were other people that needed food, yes - I would allow them to be killed and eaten. I'm not sure if I'd have the courage to kill them myself. Perhaps I would, and perhaps if I were starving I would eat them. I've not been in the situation and very much hope I never am.

Also, my dogs are practically useless for hunting, at least the old girl would be. She would have to be fed with the food we had or could gather. If there was not enough food for the humans, I feel strongly that it would be the right thing to do to would be to kill her. My little one could possibly scavenge for herself, but if the going was really tough and they were themselves starving to death, would I really want them to linger on? I don't think so.

I'm not saying it would be easy, or something that I would do until I felt absolutely necessary. But I think I would do it. I don't think I could let my human friends not have access to a viable food source if they were suffering/starving. And I'm sure that being close to starvation would have me eat them as well.

Anyway, it's a different situation to the news article and perhaps just a silly hypothetical...

Edit - before people jump on me, I feel strongly that it would be the right thing for me to do, I'm not trying to tell people what they should do in this situation.

Edited by Henrietta

Was I being unpleasant/rude? I thought Maeby Funky was taking judgmental self-proclaimed experts down a notch and chimed in. Staying overnight on Mt Kosciuszko National Park is so unlike a multi-month survival trek in the Canadian wilderness that I assumed MF was joking. As for a little sarcasm to arm chair experts making value judgements when they don't know the facts, what's wrong there?

Everyone doesn't need to have the same opinion. But if you can't take the Mickey, DOL is a bad place to post opinionated statements based on little evidence.

Why do I say 'little evidence'. The article says nothing about how he was equipped or prepared. It says he was warned, but lots of people we now celebrate as 'great' were warned off doing the things that won them their reputation in the end. We don't know who provided the information in the story, or whether it was verified. The bear part of the story, or even the dog part, could be a complete fabrication for all we know.

Edited by sandgrubber

Sandgrubber, there's more than one poster saying other posters shouldn't have an opinion - I think everyone's entitled to an opinion. Like me they have probably read repeated news stories about the rescue of people being unprepared to go on various trips in places that present danger in different parts of the world.

Personally I don't care if their stupidity kills them (I do feel for their grieving loved ones).

What I do care about is if they put other people at risk who have to rescue them OR as in this case, they put innocents like pets and children at risk. No need to take a dog on a trip like this, in bear country - it's highly risky. What would we all have said if he'd taken a young child with him? It happens.

Edited to add, I do think there is no point in posting any stories if the ONLY acceptable response from forum members is going to be stuff like "that's awful", "how sad" - I personally like to read what people think, providing it isn't offensive.

Edited by dogmad

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sandgrubber, there's more than one poster saying other posters shouldn't have an opinion - I think everyone's entitled to an opinion. Like me they have probably read repeated news stories about the rescue of people being unprepared to go on various trips in places that present danger in different parts of the world.

Personally I don't care if their stupidity kills them (I do feel for their grieving loved ones).

What I do care about is if they put other people at risk who have to rescue them OR as in this case, they put innocents like pets and children at risk. No need to take a dog on a trip like this, in bear country - it's highly risky. What would we all have said if he'd taken a young child with him? It happens.

Edited to add, I do think there is no point in posting any stories if the ONLY acceptable response from forum members is going to be stuff like "that's awful", "how sad" - I personally like to read what people think, providing it isn't offensive.

I totally agree and that is a very good post :thumbsup:

There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and thinking they shouldn't be entitled to express an opinion.

And, just for the record, I wasn't trying to humiliate anyone into my way of thinking - that's not my style and I have always thought that that kind of behaviour is pretty disgusting.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I totally agree and that is a very good post :thumbsup:

There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and thinking they shouldn't be entitled to express an opinion.

And, just for the record, I wasn't trying to humiliate anyone into my way of thinking - that's not my style and I have always thought that that kind of behaviour is pretty disgusting.

Excellent post Dogmad.

And for the record Maeby Funke, I've never once seen a post by you that was humiliating or belittling. :)

I'm sure I've come across holier than thou in this thread only because I have roughed it and for an extended period of time. The Australian outback is a harsh beast and presents lots of dangers. We never came close to starving because of our preparation and planning but on one occasion our tent was nearly trampled by buffalo, another time we camped too close to an unseen river bank and had crocs thrashing their tails on our tent (that was a hairy escape) and one time we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere certain we were being stalked and were going to die. Every single day was focussed on survival at all levels. You have to worry about your transport, food, water, health, shelter, weather, wild animals, terrain, personal safety, other people and your carbon footprint. Transport, water, daylight hours left and a safe place to sleep each night were probably our biggest daily concerns. We heard many tales of what others did in similar situations and knew how far we were prepared to go ourselves to be out there. So I feel I have some insight into what is required and have a strong opinion on things. At 50 years of age I also know myself pretty well and know under what circumstances I would kill but not eat my pet dog (or other humans). Same if the animal was a horse.

I apologise if I came off as dismissive of anyone else whose opinions differed to mine. I love DOL because of it's diversity. (But I still think this guy was an idiot!)

I don't know if this guy was an idiot or not cause all the evidence presented is a news article that doesn't specify sources and gives very few details. I don't know what happened. I have no perspective from which to form an opinion. I don't know if the guy grew up in a culture that praised Amundsen for his disasterous trip to the South Pole. For all I know, he was PTSD and semi-suicidal when going out alone into the wilderness with his dog. I don't know if he stowed food properly and the bear went to extraordinary and unknown heights to steal his cache. I don't know if the reporter made the whole thing up.

I just get sick of people getting on their high horses and judging others when they've been presented with what is at best a cartoon sketch of a situation. I read it as kicking someone who is down.

To quote a few of the more sensible lines in the Bible:"Judge not and ye shall be not judged" . . ."do unto others as you would have them do unto you"..."let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Most of us have made awful mistakes in our past. Some of us get through without suffering the consequences. Some of us are not so lucky. Frankly, from the little I know, I'd consider someone who texts while driving or drives intoxicated as culpable as this guy.