Puppy Just Got Attacked

airlock

God I am so sick of the response: there is nothing we can do.

Why not something along the lines of: That is terrible and we will definitely have a presence in the park and also put up some signage. Are you and your dog alright?

Can't see councils paying someone a grand a week or more to sit in dog park for 8 hours a day unfortunately, otherwise people would have to pay for using the park, though that could probably have its pluses. Having never been to a dog park and warned off them, maybe someone on weekends or late afternoons who just visits once an hour or so I guess could work but then that would again require someone to employee or leave current duties. It would be a hard one for them I guess, until something really serious happens I don't think they'd do much, one of those use at own risk things.

They don't have to sit there for 8 hours - random patrols would have some effect and the Council could put up signage. Its not a matter of "use at own risk' - there are laws covering attacks by out of control dogs.

God I am so sick of the response: there is nothing we can do.

Why not something along the lines of: That is terrible and we will definitely have a presence in the park and also put up some signage. Are you and your dog alright?

Can't see councils paying someone a grand a week or more to sit in dog park for 8 hours a day unfortunately, otherwise people would have to pay for using the park, though that could probably have its pluses. Having never been to a dog park and warned off them, maybe someone on weekends or late afternoons who just visits once an hour or so I guess could work but then that would again require someone to employee or leave current duties. It would be a hard one for them I guess, until something really serious happens I don't think they'd do much, one of those use at own risk things.

They don't have to sit there for 8 hours - random patrols would have some effect and the Council could put up signage. Its not a matter of "use at own risk' - there are laws covering attacks by out of control dogs.

I go to our local leash free park a lot again at the moment and have never seen a council worker/ranger type person there ever.

I think common sense is lacking in some dog owners - some really have no idea of what they should or should not do with their dogs or how to deal with situations when they arise. (Not aimed at OP at all - just a general observation, mostly at dog parks and walking around town)..

When we go to the dog park, I assess the dogs that are there - nine times out of ten, we end up going into the small dog/pup side (ours is in two fenced off areas - one for big dogs and one for pups/smaller dogs) because there is never anyone in there.

I only take him up for a run off lead and a chance to chase his ball - he doesn't need to be with other dogs to do this but there are very few leash free areas that we can do it and this one is fenced.

We leave if someone turns up with a little dog or pup that is concerned about Zig's size playing with smaller dogs. Or we stay and play because he is so good with smaller dogs and pups if they don't mind. Yesterday we had a 6 month old poodle pup and two maltese dogs in with us and they were all having fun chasing him, chasing the ball.

I tend to only let him play with dogs I know are safe these days and if there are others there, then we simply don't go in. He is my dog and my responsibility to keep him safe.

What happened to the OP and their dog isn't nice at all and must have been very frightening.

Reading the opening post it sounds like the first dog (offlead) was fine with the pup but when the other dog came in, it all got out of hand with over excitement..

I dare say - two staffy/pit bull types, if they were serious about getting the pup, then they would have had the pup, regardless if the owner had it in their arms or not..

The description of what happened to me sounds like out of control, over excited dogs - not a nice situation for anyone to be in, let alone, trying to 'save' a pup from the situation.