Exercise

keasarge

Hello

my puppy church (6 month flat coat) he gets a half hour to fourty min walk a day (only 10 mins on lead the rest off) in a bush walk setting and splashing in the creek plus four five to ten min training sessions (clicker) a kong food puzzel boxes ect and hes still hyperactivie and destructive I dont want to damage his young joints but at the same time all this exercise he gets isnt tiring him out I know they say mental stimulus is the most tiring but he can learn a new trick in a day and at six months know bang roll over stand sit down bow pray crawl tunnel wobble board's balance beams ride a skateboard all his toys by name in the bin fetch slippers ect I just want a tired puppy !!@

LOL!

You are successfully training him to be very active, mentally and physically ;)

the more you do, the more he'll want.

may I just suggest he gets less free running ..and make the half hour leash work - stopping at kerbs ..sits, turns... that sort of thing ?

Oh.. and a pup/dog does not need to be tired to be able to settle and lie quietly !

This is an important part of training ..and one which possibly needs ongoing practice ...indoors ..and out.. teach him to stop and chill and be relaxed ...

Edited by persephone

He will sit and stay, hes crate trained to. When we walk on the lead we sit down stay heel he does all that perfectly. Am I doing to much with him? Hes not a chill out dog even having a nap he gets restless and has to do something we are working on the triangle of temptation to help his self control

Lol hes not from working lines both his parents are lazy show dogs, he came from a nsw breeder.

we go to brush farm traning school sundays and agility tuesdays (but we are stuck there cause I wont jump him till hes two) we are working towards our ccd(first trail in jan) is there a retriever training club in west sydney? I picked this breed for the chill factor lol if I wanted a high work dog id go for a collie!!!

Re agility check out Susan Garrett - serious competitors generally hold off on weave/jump training for ages but there is bucket loads you can do now. Have fun and look forward to some updates! There are retriever training days in Sydney - I will get back to you with a link.

Here you go:

http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3167

Have fun!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My working Springer is much the same - has endless energy for shaping, agility, obedience etc but retrieving is the only thing that leaves her head in her paws although she does have a super off switch. There's a whole retrieving thread in the training forum when you've got time... the start of it coincided with Em coming home so all her training is in there :)

Hi Keasarge, love the flat coats! Honestly I'm yet to meet one that has some 'chill factor' but you never know :D

My 9 month old Irish setter also struggled a little to be a settled setter when she first arrived. What helped us was having a designated chill-out zone for her, inside where she could see us (its the other couch in the lounge) and making sure that whenever she was tired she went there; and when she needed to settle, and wasn't that tired, she was put there, and I did T Touch/massaging on her for about 15 mins or till she became sleepy- combined with a technique I call 'sleepy eyes' I read about in a training book. So, you look at the dog in the eyes, and blink slowly (sleepily) together with some fake yawning (or real, depending on where you're at!).

They should blink back at you, and follow your eye movements. I usually get very sleepy myself doing it. Takes a little while sometimes but if he's clued he should catch on quickly. The TTouch also seems to really settle her.

I find doing this helps them to unwind themselves, and then they don't get too overtired. Riv now can be told to go on the couch and she will instantly fall asleep the moment her head hits the pillow there.

The other thing I try and do (and a lot of people here do too) is trying to ensure that inside is quiet time and outside is for running around. If Riv is really not ready for bed she's put outside to play (by herself, the other dogs stay sleeping inside!) till she's burnt off a bit more energy and is ready for bed. Riv gets a similar amount of exercise to your FCR, but she is outside during the day running riot with my other two dogs, which helps :)

Cheers Emma

Haha emma who taught ttouch ? I only ask as im a ttouch/tteam praticinor for horses.

Church unfortunately doant have a play mate our other dog is pushing 11 and only sleeps all day, church will hang with him but you can tell hes itching to do more. He knows inside is walking pace only (young kids old dog small house) but he still tries his zoomies everywhere ! I will try and enforce it more and il try the Sleepy dog thing :)

Oh dear lol I taught myself from the good 'ol internets! :D Riv seems to like it though! I got the idea from the same book as 'sleepy eyes.' The two things that really tire her out are playing with other dogs and running off lead/swimming. The combo of both = very happy setter. That, and chewing shoes :D

Do you know anyone with a puppy the same age? Maybe they could have play dates? We're lucky here to have a friend with two young labs, who we meet up with a few times a week for a good play.

It's such a 'special' time, living with a puppy gundog! Only minimal amounts of sarcasm intended :)

I edited this to add that the last line sounded really harsh and I didn't really mean it! It is a special time- I miss the energy levels and pure happy mania that having a puppy around means you have to enjoy, once they're grown up.

Edited by eschlachter

He is 6 months old so is naturally energetic. How tired do you want him to be ?

How much do you expect him to sit still or sleep ? Pups are variable the same as human babies are. Some short nap all day & others are lively. He sounds a fantastic & highly intelligent little guy.

Enjoy it while you can I think as I glance at my grey 11 year old napping in his bed & we only got up an hour ago :)