Questions Regarding Desexing

Raksha

Can someone please explain to me that why for a "pet dog or bitch " is growth and development considered not to be an issue ?

Really, do pet people deserve a dog or bitch that fails to reach full maturity and development just because it's a "pet" . Does the animal itself deserve what comes with desexing prior to maturity, just because it's a "pet" ?

Let's make no mistake, desexing is an operation of convenience for most.

Absolutely. Convenient as in less possibility of trips to the vet for mammary lumps and no risk of pyometra. I'm sold. Hell, if they'd desex me I'd be all over that as well. Desexing early as someone has already pointed out prevents accidental matings. Nothing affects a bitches development quite like having pups while she still is one.

Sorry but rubbish. I have had bitches desexed younger and older I do not have to take them to the vets checking for mammry lumps any more than I need them to go for checking of any other sorts of lumps.

Pyo is a risk yes but extremely rare after the first season.

It is a surgery of convienience if done before 12 to 18 months of age. I am not necessarily saying that is a bad thing but it is what it is. I have recently had my nearly 6 you bitch done. she has had her litter, she had some issues so I didn't want her to have more and yes Pyo in a bitch her age is a higher risk.

I also cannot understand why altered growth of a dog/bitch is not an issue if it is a pet? I would want my pet looking as it should and as it parents and siblings look.

It's not just about growing up to look as it should, but to be fit for function. Longer limbs, straight stifles, an increased rate of HD in desexed males and of course spey incontinence in bitches.

I certainly believe in the speying of bitches when they have fully matured.

I don't buy into mentality that every bitch owner is an irresponsible one or cannot manage one season ( if they choose to) without an accidental mating.

Oh I agree fully, A pet dog has every right to look as it should and be as fit as it should be.

I am yet to have mammary tumours in any of my bitches, three different breeds. Desexed from 7 months to 6.5 years of age. I have had a pyo in one bitch.