Best Time To Train A Puppy?

I've just got a new puppy, an Italian Greyhound and she's like nothing I've ever had before. I've had dogs for over 30 years and always been able to train them the basics with no problems, (which for now is all I'm interested in). All my dogs walk well on the lead, dont pull.

It's been almost 10 years since I had a puppy and I haven't even begun to train her. She seems to have 3 modes. Hungry, sleepy or completely psycho where she runs around like a lunatic. I'm not sure if I can get through to her when she's like that. So what mood do I start lead training on, hungry, sleepy or psycho?

Actually, it's not completely correct that I haven't begun to train her. She's started toilet training and is learning to sit for her dinner. She's also already taught me when she is hungry, she goes and sits in the hallway, which is where I feed her so I can stop the other dogs from stealing her dinner.

Edited by Kirislin

Start by clicking and treating anytime during the psycho mode she stops still, or sits momentarily. When mine are new, I focus on rewarding calm behaviour first, then I start rewarding for a split second of calm + looking at me, everything else will follow.

You can also start with nose targetting so she has to target your hand for dinner. :)