Blue Staffordshire Bull Terriers

JustUs

I'm a lot confused and hope that someone can help answer some questions for me please.

Now I know that Blue SBTs are undesirable and I know they are popular and hence the prices are terribly over inflated. I also realise that a lot (most?) breeders of Blues breed Blue to Blue which is why they have so many undesirable attributes.

But what I'm wondering is if there is ever a good Blue Stafford, who meets the Breed Standard for personality?

For a family, like us, who will NEVER breed or show but adore Blue Staffords. I'm unsure of why but my heart skips a little beat for them. Is there a way to get a good well bred Stafford for our family?

If that is answered in a positive, how on earth to we find a reputable breeder as even the ads here on DOL, seems to be full of the warnings that other SBT breeders warn about.........

The vast majority of blue Staffords have perfectly good temperaments so this is not the issue.

When looking for a pet there is more to it than temperament, you need to find a dog who won't give you endless grief at the vet with allergies and niggling issues; you need to find a dog which won't have endless joint issues due to being conformed wrong.

Don't be lead into the false belief that the breed standard is just for show dogs - all dogs should be conformed correctly to lead a normal healthy life and the breed standard is the blue print for this.

With blues especially you need to avoid the wide fronted loosely put together dogs, avoid those who boast about how big or small the dog is - a Stafford is meant to be from 14 to 16 inches to the wither (shoulder) and between 24 & 38 pounds - a 14 inch 60 pound Stafford is either obese or conformed incorrectly.

Someone who thinks it's a selling point to tell you the stud dog is 30kg doesn't know enough to be breeding.

Basically - look at lots of photos of Staffords who win a bit in the ring and get an idea of what a reasonably good Stafford should look like in outline & proportion. Don't worry about fancy points like the ears being rose or drop, the eyes being the perfect colour, exactly how the head should look. Study the proportions of the breed and then go looking for blues that look basically like that.

ETA: best route - look for someone who's kennel name doesn't include the word blue; look for someone who does NOT breed blue to blue (EVER) and look for someone who sells all the pups in the litter for the same price regardless of colour.

Edited by Sandra777

Do your homework on the skin issues that plague blue Staffords and my guess is your heart rate may go even higher. The colour is undesirable for more than cosmetic reasons. Dilute to dilute matings can throw up quite a few skin issues.

Have a good look at feet and pasterns. A dog that has east west feet, loose feet or is badly down is pastern is a recipe for unsoundness - no more desirable in a pet than in a show dog.

You'd be crazy not to take out pet insurance on one as a pup.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I would personally think carefully about bringing a blue into your family not only because of the reasons that our Stafford experts :D have stated above, but they are so popular - they get stolen - often!

I think they are very pretty to look at too, but the security thing irks me.

Edit: If you are considering buying one, you better ensure no-one can see your dog when they walk past the front of your property, or from any aspect over the back fences.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Basically - look at lots of photos of Staffords who win a bit in the ring and get an idea of what a reasonably good Stafford should look like in outline & proportion. Don't worry about fancy points like the ears being rose or drop, the eyes being the perfect colour, exactly how the head should look. Study the proportions of the breed and then go looking for blues that look basically like that.

Here is one photographer that recently took photos at a Stafford specialty that you can look at and compare,

http://takphotography.com.au/categories/dog-shows