Lamb Spine

LisaCC

I managed to get hold of a heap of Lamb spine today. I have to leave the pup home tonight for a few hours and was wondering whether these are good bones to leave him alone with to keep him occupied? We will be at dog club first so he should be pretty tired anyway and will probably fall asleep after a bit of chewing.

He manages turkey necks, chicken frames and lamb legs all fine, but I haven't fed these before I don't want to risk a choking hazard.

Edited by LisaCC

When I fed them to my two Del vomited blood. She vomited the next day and I can't be sure they were the problem, but I haven't fed them since. They didnt seem to be a problem for Digby. My new favourite for the dogs is a pig's head from Knights. They chop in two for us. Still even in two pieces it still might be a bit big for Nova?

Oh that sounds worrying frown.gif

Oooh might have to try a pigs head, but Knights would of just closed for the day. Nova is good at not eating himself into a food coma, he stops when he is full and will go back to it later so he should be alright with one.

Aww he's a good sensible boy :) yeah definitely try the pigs head. There is actually a tonne of meat on it and would be a great addition to a raw diet, or just as a recreational chew IMO.

Are you stuck for something tonight? I have a few frozen marrows in the freezer your welcome to if you need.

I'm trying to think of the stuff at the supermarkets, but he'd probably make short work of turkey legs and such?

Theres not many things he is sensible with but surprisingly thats one of them laugh.gif

Thats a very nice offer thank you, but I do have a backup marrow bone in the freezer.

Yea, turkey necks are short work, frozen ones can last about an hour though. No turkey necks to be found today so I found a big pack of cheap turkey wings to try too!

Haha well at least that's a pretty good thing to be sensible about!

Oh and if you end up getting a pig's head my recommendation is to do it when you're not planning on having visitors; as they are just a little bit disturbing, and I think non-dog people just really wouldn't understand :laugh: For us it's also the one kind of bone that Digby insists on leaving right at the back door, it's quite something to be greeted with when you step out there :eek:

It's a bit of a shock actually to have a dog that stops eating when full, especially after a labrador!

I was just thinking whether I could convince my housemate to allow a pigs head in the back yard, for an Animal Science student she's a tad squeamish.

I would think it would be great for visitors, it's a talking point for sure laugh.gif

I have fed lambs spines without a problem before.

I would have thought, even chopped in 2 that a pigs head would be too big for a puppy? I have fed them a couple of times in the past to adult border collies - a half each, and they were way too much for them in 1 meal and followed up by a fast.

Be warned though, my guys have NEVER had gas like they did after the pigs heads sick2.gif

It's a bit of a shock actually to have a dog that stops eating when full, especially after a labrador!

I was just thinking whether I could convince my housemate to allow a pigs head in the back yard, for an Animal Science student she's a tad squeamish.

I would think it would be great for visitors, it's a talking point for sure laugh.gif

True! I hadn't thought of it that way! To think I have been missing out on the potential social benefits of feeding pig head :laugh:

Well I didn't feed the spine last night but I gave it to him today, I know he didn't eat it all! He really only chewed on the meaty bits, but I turned away and now it's gone! Off to try and find his sneaky hiding spot laugh.gif