Schnauzer (min) Semen

Heisspur love

Hi all,

I have found out this afternoon that the mini schnauzer stud dog I had lined up to receive chilled semen from is not happy with being collected. I was offered chilled or frozen so I had assumed he'd been collected before. I am now at either a crossroads, a turnaround or a blunt dead-end?!?.

I am searching for semen, either chilled tomorrow or frozen might be better for hopeful more options... Is a hard fancy to crack into and even though I've been a responsible breeder for many years and an exhibitor for the last few also, I have met many roadblocks along the way? Is a shame as I am a goer and only want to help the breed!? So if you are open or know someone, please contact me :)

I'm a vet nurse with good references and love my dogs. They are my extended family.

However, I am quite desperate ATM as my girl was to be retired this litter as is 6yo...

Cheers to any advice,

Kim

Edited by ...Pippa...

I would want to check out the dog and its lines as I'm hoping to have a show pup in the litter.

Unfortunately the dog was interstate (connecting flights) and I wouldn't like to send my girl in this heat. Driving would take too long (lol, Google tells me 21 hours), don't think I'd make it back for my show this weekend.

I guess I'll probably have to wait for next heat, but is a shame to waste the progesterone tests I have done this time around

I've been in a similar position myself with my last litter, semen was MIA and my girl was ready to go. However I'd planned for the worst to happen and had a couple back up dogs ready and waiting from similar lines to the semen I had purchased. I ended up doing a 6 hr round trip in awful weather to get my girl to the dog but it was worth it.

If you're able can you get the bitch to the dog? I my case this was impossible as the dog was in America. It might cost a bit but it is worth it if you really want those lines.

Otherwise its time to be sitting down with your pedigree and your computer and start googling lines you know will suit your girl and start making calls to other breeders/owners. You might just get lucky.

Posting on here...don't know how far that will get you to be honest. You need to contact the people who have the dogs directly.

I've been in a similar position myself with my last litter, semen was MIA and my girl was ready to go. However I'd planned for the worst to happen and had a couple back up dogs ready and waiting from similar lines to the semen I had purchased. I ended up doing a 6 hr round trip in awful weather to get my girl to the dog but it was worth it.

If you're able can you get the bitch to the dog? I my case this was impossible as the dog was in America. It might cost a bit but it is worth it if you really want those lines.

Otherwise its time to be sitting down with your pedigree and your computer and start googling lines you know will suit your girl and start making calls to other breeders/owners. You might just get lucky.

Posting on here...don't know how far that will get you to be honest. You need to contact the people who have the dogs directly.

Yeah she came on heat early and I wasn't organised enough to have a backup dog. I am searching though. Thanks, I know it's a long shot

Yeah she came on heat early and I wasn't organised enough to have a backup dog. I am searching though. Thanks, I know it's a long shot

My girl was a month and a half early too otherwise everything would have been there and ready.

Good luck

Unfortunately the dog was interstate (connecting flights) and I wouldn't like to send my girl in this heat. Driving would take too long (lol, Google tells me 21 hours), don't think I'd make it back for my show this weekend.

I guess I'll probably have to wait for next heat, but is a shame to waste the progesterone tests I have done this time around

Isn't it worth missing a show?

The prog tests will not go unwasted. All the info you have on previous seasons can be useful when timing future breedings. Particularly when doing AI.

It builds a picture of what your girl does that an experienced repro person can use to help you get the best outcome..

Isn't it worth missing a show?

The prog tests will not go unwasted. All the info you have on previous seasons can be useful when timing future breedings. Particularly when doing AI.

It builds a picture of what your girl does that an experienced repro person can use to help you get the best outcome..

I did consider missing the show, but you're right they wont be wasted. I didn't mean to sound so negative. Is disappointing. I will keep looking for the right dog and wait for next heat, as is probably better to not have pups at Christmas time (heat/ticks etc). Things usually happen for a reason...

I doubt any reputable Mini breeder will contact you with a post like this ,it doesn't do you any favors .

Thanks for the time it took for your help... I suppose

Well I guess it is a funny thing... I am the type of person who does not do things the same as other "dog breeders". House, love and care for my dogs in my own home, Tick! Test my dogs, Tick again, as I'm doing that! Breed to improve... Tick for that one too! Show, my dogs! Tick, tick (as extra ticks are deserved for ignoring and not getting involved in some peoples BS), "Smile and wave Kimmy, Smile and Wave!".

We are here to better the breed, not boost our own pockets or ego's... These ones I am definitely not guilty of! I love my dogs and I treat everyone with respect!

You do not know where I am coming from, what I've done or where I want to go... Neither do you have a right to judge me without bothering to take the time to understand!? If you have zero positive input please refrain from commenting next time!

PS.. Are all the out there "reputable" breeders the only good ones!?! Click goes the sound of the open can of worms...

Edited by ...Pippa...

PS.. Are all the out there "reputable" breeders the only good ones!?! Click goes the sound of the open can of worms...

The only good breeders are reputable and all reputable breeders are good breeders. Think you may need to check the definition of reputable :laugh:

The only good breeders are reputable and all reputable breeders are good breeders. Think you may need to check the definition of reputable

I think you may have misunderstood that the words of reference are "out there", and by this I refer to breeders/exhibitors that are out there the most who live in the city with a never-ending list of shows to attend and massive advertising of their achievements. I have nothing against this as it takes a huge amount of effort to get there, but it does not mean there are not other breeders that are just as reputable and good, however are just smaller and more understated. I do however wonder whether the highly competitive exhibitor does it for the breed or does it for the win. There is a big difference.

I also wonder why it is that SD thinks it is ok to pick at the way I have chosen to do something and infer that I'm not a reputable breeder. Just because it is different doesn't mean it's wrong. Move onto your next thread and find someone meeker to try bully please.

I have never and never will get dragged into the rude politics that go on. I am here to enjoy my dogs and to try better the breed, not to win at any cost and denigrate others' because I don't like what I've read or feel threated by the person or no longer get along with the person that bred their dog's grandsire (just an example).

Due to my smile and wave approach, I have been told that I have a good attitude "that sees through their rudeness and the road blocks as you described them as generally they set out to scare off any newcomers and generally they succeed unfortunately".

Useful comments please :laugh:

Edited by ...Pippa...

Must admit I can understand a little of where SD is coming from. When I initially read your post, the way I read it you were after a stud dog...any stud dog. My knee jerk reaction was 'uh oh......' This may not be the case, but it is the way your post came across for me.... It is not often we see posts that imply 'my bitch is in season and I need a dog now' except from backyarders, so you may from that understand why some were initially wary. It is not often that a breeder with a well thought out breeding plan will be broadcasting for a stud dog in this manner (have personally never seen it actually). You have clarified yourself more since, but please understand that your initial tone may have had a few warning lights going off for some in the beginning. Many may just have been 'quieter' about voicing there inner reserves.

Edited by espinay2

Must admit I can understand a little of where SD is coming from. When I initially read your post, the way I read it you were after a stud dog...any stud dog. My knee jerk reaction was 'uh oh......' This may not be the case, but it is the way your post came across for me.... It is not often we see posts that imply 'my bitch is in season and I need a dog now' except from backyarders, so you may from that understand why some were initially wary. It is not often that a breeder with a well thought out breeding plan will be broadcasting for a stud dog in this manner (have personally never seen it actually). You have clarified yourself more since, but please understand that your initial tone may have had a few warning lights going off for some in the beginning. Many may just have been 'quieter' about voicing there inner reserves.

That's why it is only fair to read all the replies before judging and having a dig at someone.

If I were a backyarder I'd have not been sourcing AI semen in the first place. I would have just used the closest dog possible.

Thanks for help.

Just to be positive, Have you checked out breeder list here on Dogzonline?

I do feel for you to be let down at this late stage :) It happened to me once but the decision I made at that time was actually a better option.

Good luck with what ever choice you make.