Cleaning Dog Doo Off Concrete Pavers

Paul & Jason

It may have been covered before, but it's been a long day with Elmo our new 8 week old labrador.

He's pooped a number of times on our patio (older concrete pavers) and I think it's only because he hasn't got the confidence to go down the stairs to the garden to do it yet.

The main issue is the stain it might leave behind - we're pooper scoopering it up pretty soon after, but does anyone know a way to clean it best without leaving behind any chemicals that pup could take in ?

PS - We're puppy raising him.

Edited by Paul & Jason

Sounds like something bicarb could be good for - dampen the stains, cover with bicarb, scrub a bit then wash off with hot water.

How old is pup? If he's little he probably shouldn't be doing stairs often anyway, so taking him down to go to the bathroom would best for him and for your pavers ;)

If you don't have many stairs, you could make a temporary ramp? We made one from spare fence palings and it made life a lot easier! Better for his joints too.

If you don't have a pressure washer, maybe try vinegar, or boiling water? Not really sure though.

Thanks for quick replies :)

He's 8.5 weeks old, and is pup in training...we haven't got a high pressure washer, bicarb and vinegar yes. Is the bicarb dangerous in residue if a bit is left behind ?

We're thinking of the ramp thing too but right now it's hard to tell when he wants to go - i've taken him out to the back garden and asked him to toilet but just keeps walking around - and doesn't really give the impression of going in circles pre wee-poo.

He does point out the tail at full strength when he goes, and has done it outdoors when we're playing.

Also, is it best to feed him first thing then toilet then play ? Or play first, then eat/toilet ?

Thanks for quick replies :)

He's 8.5 weeks old, and is pup in training...we haven't got a high pressure washer, bicarb and vinegar yes. Is the bicarb dangerous in residue if a bit is left behind ?

We're thinking of the ramp thing too but right now it's hard to tell when he wants to go - i've taken him out to the back garden and asked him to toilet but just keeps walking around - and doesn't really give the impression of going in circles pre wee-poo.

He does point out the tail at full strength when he goes, and has done it outdoors when we're playing.

Also, is it best to feed him first thing then toilet then play ? Or play first, then eat/toilet ?

At that age he will need to wee often - as soon as he wakes up, during the night, after playing, eating, napping, sneezing, looking sideways, etc

I've got to 9 wk old Labbies in my house at the moment. They are getting a high quality dry puppy chow. Their poohs are nice and hard and easy to pick up and wouldn't stain anything. As for wee, you should be able to get it off with an ordinary garden hose with a decent nozzle. It's hard to predict when they'll wee. Mine tend to poop either just before getting fed, or just after. I find it easiest to consider it no drama if they make mistakes. It won't be long before they get it right.

I've got to 9 wk old Labbies in my house at the moment. They are getting a high quality dry puppy chow. Their poohs are nice and hard and easy to pick up and wouldn't stain anything. As for wee, you should be able to get it off with an ordinary garden hose with a decent nozzle. It's hard to predict when they'll wee. Mine tend to poop either just before getting fed, or just after. I find it easiest to consider it no drama if they make mistakes. It won't be long before they get it right.

So we're pretty much at the same point :) Ours is on Royal Canin dry but we make it wet (advice given from the carers) - poohs are the same, but we're just trying to change location. Had a good success today in that just after breakfast (his !) I took him down the stairs to the backyard, asked him to toilet and he had a wee and I heaped on the praise :) Now, if only the same for Number 2 ! We're not bringing him inside until he's more confident on that side as he's had a few mistakes and he's meant to be primarily an outside dog.

Your baby will continue to toilet as & when he needs ... he has no idea of 'mistakes' , as his voluntary control is just not there yet. ;) he is also very little to go up & down more than a couple of steps many times a day ..so , perhaps set up a toilet area of fake grass on the pavers ..so at least he will get used to the feel of grass instead of stone/concrete as a cue to toilet .

A bit of bleach or disinfectant in water and a good deck scrubber* will do the trick every time!

* for those not nautically minded a deck scrubber is a scrubbing brush with a long handle