New Bedding Help?

Puppynovice

My Mini Foxie is now 5 months old and almost at his full height / weight - this occurs at around 6 months. Anyway we have been crate training him using the crate / carrier he came in on the plane to us. He has used this crate for sleeping in overnight as well. The crate is now getting a bit too small for him. I would like to move him into new bedding and preferably not a crate now. I'm not sure how he will adjust to this though. Can I have some recommendations of the best types of beds people have used? We have access to Petbarn and BestFriends here in Canberra. I need something which is as chew resistant as possible. I could always upgrade to a bigger crate but I never planned for him to sleep in a crate forever!

..and I would suggest buying an attractive looking larger crate..big enough for him to sit up in and stretch out with room to spare .. .. perhaps a 'soft crate' to use as his bed ;) It can have door open ..or closed and may come in handy when he has to be kept quiet after surgery .. when he needs to be out of the way for whatever reason.and for training purposes .

See it as an indoor 'den' for him ..somewhere to chew treats/have quiet time etc ...

When I bought Nova a new expensive bed he decided he liked the door matt best icon_smile_mad.gif

He still sleeps in his crate though.

My guys have two expensive beds and one mid-range (all different textures and sizes and shapes to suit their mood). They prefer the bath mat :laugh:

I recently took their crates down as they had cobwebs over the doors.

Our dogs slept wherever they pleased once out of puppy-adolescent stage.

Keeping a crate was great for any visitors who hated dogs and kids scared of dogs.

Also to protect dog from crazy kids.

Foldable crate allowed us to take dogs camping etc.

Stayed in many "No dogs!" caravan parks, also.

Kept dogs safe from other dogs (potentially aggressive), too.

Our dogs loved the round type with raised edges for them to curl up in.

Your dog knows what a crate is now & won't forget so no need for one to remind him. Much comfier in the coming hot weather to not crate too.

My little poodles are allowed to sleep where they want once they are big enough not to injure themselves by jumping.

Not worth spending a lot of money on beds however I have placed 2 of the hooded type beds ( used for cats usually ) on some sofas & they love snuggling in them.

$9 each in Kmart & they are a nice black & white leopard print.

Cheap As Chips, Go Lo, Sams & variety stores have a good choice & you can buy new as often as you feel like at their prices.