How Do They Know?

twodoggies2001

Hey Jules, they know all perfectly well when you have a hypo coming on, because your smell alters.

They don't alert you to it, because it is not something that you get terribly stressed about, you are calm and take preventative action. Diabetic alert dogs are often not trained as such, they just learn to alert their owners - this seems to happen more often with Type 1 diabetics and especially with children.

You could perhaps try keeping a special sort of treat only for use when you are on the verge of a hypo, and give them both one before you take your glucose. If you are consistent with that then possibly the alert will start to happen as they rush to remind you that one of the special treats is due!

good idea RP :)

Im not always calm when im going into one especially if they have come on quickly, then i do get stressed out pretty badly embarrass.gif

im type 1.5

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[she closes her eyes in bliss.

[

All those banana smellers/hearers/eaters know something. Owner of greyhounds next door swears by bananas as great racing fuel for his dogs. ( One of his greys was a Qld sprint champion.) The greys just think they're damn good tucker! :)

Exhibit A.

Two bananas left on the bench whilst I ducked to the Post Office. I was quite impressed with the peeling skills and the fact that they were still joined at the top. I suspect piggy boy scoffed them and Maddie was left to suck the skins.

post-38965-0-20671900-1381388523_thumb.jpg