How Do They Know?

twodoggies2001

Slightly different, but my mini schnauzer scuttles under my bed when I straighten my hair - not to hide because he's scared, but because he knows I'll be going out without him and he'd rather stay inside thanks!!

Nova does that too! He jumps on the end of the couch, curls up at perfect angle to watch me in the mirror and just stares intently. Then refuses to move. "I don't wanna go outside or in the crate. Can't I come with you???" Nice meaty bone tends to sway him laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slightly different, but my mini schnauzer scuttles under my bed when I straighten my hair - not to hide because he's scared, but because he knows I'll be going out without him and he'd rather stay inside thanks!!

Miah does the opposite, if i start blowdrying my hair, she knows im going out, so she will sit on the toy box (at the end of our bed) next to my dressing table and sit there watching me intently ..either that or she wants me to do her hair and pretty her up as well laugh.gif

My tibbie (boy) watches me intently when I'm putting on make up. Hair or anything else he can't be bothered with, but I'm pretty sure he'd love some make up ; p

My JRT doesn't get out of bed for anything other than food, she couldn't care less about us moving around the house.....unless we go to the kitchen.....

[if i start blowdrying my hair, she knows im going out, so she will sit on the toy box (at the end of our bed) next to my dressing table and sit there watching me intently ..

My parents' Cardigan Corgi, Biddy, would watch my father get dressed every morning. If he put on his work clothes, she would then ignore him. But, if he put on the clothes he wore to go fishing on his boat, Biddy would go downstairs & sit beside his car. Because she always went fishing with him.

She was so good at 'knowing', that my father could not use the word 'fishing' the night before. If he said to a friend on the phone, 'I'm going fishing tomorrow', Biddy would streak downstairs & sit beside his car all night. He took to spelling it. But didn't take Biddy long to figure what 'f-i-s-h-i-n-g' meant.

Edited by mita

Our tibbie, Miki, appears out of nowhere when I take the lid off a tub of cream. He flew down the stairs and presented himself at the kitchen when our girls took the lid off a bottle of cream ( the ones that you squirt). He turned up before they had even squirted the cream. We've never had the bottled cream before so I don't think he would relate to the sound of the lid coming off so I think it's the smell. This is from the dog that was the only one at obedience class that could not (I think more like would not) sniff out the treat under a witches hat. The trainer lifted the hat for him only for Miki to glare at the treat before trotting off. Perhaps we should have put cream under the hat!!

Oh doof's other spechal is he can sense out neocort cream and then spends 15 minutes licking his nose

Bear is extra special, she doesn't care so much about specific foods....her superpower is an ability to sense when ANYTHING edible winds up in the girlchild's hands, as the girlchild is bear's most reliable people food dispenser.

Oh doof's other spechal is he can sense out neocort cream and then spends 15 minutes licking his nose

Bear is extra special, she doesn't care so much about specific foods....her superpower is an ability to sense when ANYTHING edible winds up in the girlchild's hands, as the girlchild is bear's most reliable people food dispenser.

:laugh: Anything in a tube is evil to Stan. As he is very accident prone I have a variety of creams to put on, I could walk towards him with a tube of toothpaste and he's be gonski.

:laugh: Anything in a tube is evil to Stan. As he is very accident prone I have a variety of creams to put on, I could walk towards him with a tube of toothpaste and he's be gonski.

Doof would eat the tube if I let him, he looooves the taste for some doofy reason! :laugh:

My dogs can hear a banana being peeled even when they're outside and I'm at the other end of the house (and it's a long house)! :laugh:

My dogs can hear a banana being peeled even when they're outside and I'm at the other end of the house (and it's a long house)! :laugh:

Lily would say, 'See! I'm not alone.' :)

My two love bananas .... As soon as I pick one up they are hassling me for a piece ! It's like crack to them, they will do anything for a piece :)

she closes her eyes in bliss.

3176338698_9209837a78.jpg

IMG_2478tcs by kirislin, on Flickr

Hey Jules, they know all perfectly well when you have a hypo coming on, because your smell alters.

They don't alert you to it, because it is not something that you get terribly stressed about, you are calm and take preventative action. Diabetic alert dogs are often not trained as such, they just learn to alert their owners - this seems to happen more often with Type 1 diabetics and especially with children.

You could perhaps try keeping a special sort of treat only for use when you are on the verge of a hypo, and give them both one before you take your glucose. If you are consistent with that then possibly the alert will start to happen as they rush to remind you that one of the special treats is due!

[she closes her eyes in bliss.

[

All those banana smellers/hearers/eaters know something. Owner of greyhounds next door swears by bananas as great racing fuel for his dogs. ( One of his greys was a Qld sprint champion.) The greys just think they're damn good tucker! :)

Our tibbie, Miki, appears out of nowhere when I take the lid off a tub of cream. He flew down the stairs and presented himself at the kitchen when our girls took the lid off a bottle of cream ( the ones that you squirt). He turned up before they had even squirted the cream. We've never had the bottled cream before so I don't think he would relate to the sound of the lid coming off so I think it's the smell. This is from the dog that was the only one at obedience class that could not (I think more like would not) sniff out the treat under a witches hat. The trainer lifted the hat for him only for Miki to glare at the treat before trotting off. Perhaps we should have put cream under the hat!!

That's just tibbie-ness, they smell perfectly well!

I started a 'tricks' class with Chewy (starting to regret it) and one of the things to do is for the dog to hold a chew, such as a pigs ear, in his mouth (start of training to pick something up)

He absolutely refuses to, regardless of what I use and how exciting I make it seem, I just get a defiantly closed mouth and a disgusted look. Same with trying to get him to catch a treat. Doesn't even try, just let's the treats hit his face and fall to the ground, while giving the stink eye look ; X

I started a 'tricks' class with Chewy (starting to regret it) and one of the things to do is for the dog to hold a chew, such as a pigs ear, in his mouth (start of training to pick something up)

He absolutely refuses to, regardless of what I use and how exciting I make it seem

Failed the 2 question test that tibbies apply. 'And the point of this is....?' & 'What's in this for me?'

If negative comes up in the 'puter in their head, then you've got Buckley's.

Little beggars, tho', are brilliant at doing things that have a point for them. Smarter than me.

Annie can't get up the deck stairs & stands at bottom giving gentle cries for 'Help!' Sometimes I don't hear her. Yesterday I heard Lily, who can fly up like an athlete, barking. Went out... there was Lily who has a loud bark, standing next to Annie (her bestest friend) & helping her out with a louder voice.

Edited by mita

I taught the pugs to catch treats (well, they try!). The point is to not let them have it from the floor, so if you throw it and they don't catch it, you pick it up and no treat. The only way they get the treat is if they catch it. They caught on pretty quickly (and Pugs fall into the "why should I/what's in it for me" category of training ) :laugh: