Cost For Small Breed Pups And Question About Temperament?

kelpiecuddles

I don't want a compliment, I want you to repay my compliment by being in good humor, as I have been with you. Making a compliment and repaying a compliment are not the same thing.

I have seen the term Groodle, oodle, cavoodle and even BS mastiff mentioned many times on this forum and never seen any reaction from their use, obviously something about me needles you, I can't help that.

Now I'm going to have a cuppa and a chocolate biscuit, I suggest you do the same. It cures all ills : )

It often happens that someone new to the forums who hasn't read the forum rules refers to their dog by its made up cross breed name, I'd be pretty confident in saying that it is always mentioned that "xxx" isn't a breed and that on DOL the dog should be referred to as requested in the forum rules ('xxx' X "xxx'). You may not have seen it but it certainly does cause a reaction! Minimax was just pointing out to you that it is in fact a breach of forum rules.

Thank you SG for putting it so nicely. I've seen many postings with all kinds of names (cavoodles etc), to this point no one has been pulled up for it. Nevertheless seeing as you have taken the trouble to be polite, I'll no longer make up names, having only done it once as a joke. I wasn't objecting to what Minimax was telling me, only her manner of doing it. Interpersonal skills are important wherever you are. Any sentence that starts with "I think you'll find" is going to get someone's back up.

Thanks for clueing me in without being confrontational. : )

From the forum rules:

This site was created for pure bred dog discussion (ANKC recognised breeds)

The primary purpose of this forum is to promote and discuss pure bred dogs (as recognised by the ANKC) so we ask you respect our aim when visiting here. If you own a cross breed dog, you are also welcome here, but we ask that you refer to it by its proper name (eg a pug-x or cavalier-x instead of the designer term 'pugalier').

No need to feel singled out - believe me when I say that people have been picked up for this many many times.

To the OP - your friend needs to do some research of her own. There are plenty of differences in temperament, grooming and exercise/stimultion needs between the varying breeds of smaller, long coated breeds. It's not a one size will fit all situation.

If health testing is a key concern, your friend will need to confine her enquiries to responsible, registered breeders.

Thanks HW, I was feeling like I had a target on me. : )

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chance of finding a small cute fluffy puppy in rescue is pretty much nil. Anyone breeding them has no trouble selling them and therefore they do not need rescuing.

Best in Show (2000)

Stefan Vanderhoof: [discussing the calendar] We're not gonna sell, just give it out to friends.

Scott Donlan: I think we should try to sell it.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Really?

Scott Donlan: Yeah.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well, if we could give the money to Shih Tzu rescue.

Scott Donlan: They have plenty of money.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well so do we.

Scott Donlan: What Shih Tzus need rescuing anyway? You don't see Shih Tzus straggling around the streets in an old coat "help, alms for the poor".

Stefan Vanderhoof: Like the little match girl.

The chance of finding a small cute fluffy puppy in rescue is pretty much nil. Anyone breeding them has no trouble selling them and therefore they do not need rescuing.

Best in Show (2000)

Stefan Vanderhoof: [discussing the calendar] We're not gonna sell, just give it out to friends.

Scott Donlan: I think we should try to sell it.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Really?

Scott Donlan: Yeah.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well, if we could give the money to Shih Tzu rescue.

Scott Donlan: They have plenty of money.

Stefan Vanderhoof: Well so do we.

Scott Donlan: What Shih Tzus need rescuing anyway? You don't see Shih Tzus straggling around the streets in an old coat "help, alms for the poor".

Stefan Vanderhoof: Like the little match girl.

Ha ha love this, can't imagine there being a need for Shihtzu rescue but then I'm biased.

: -))

Edited by Alison03

Maltese, Shih Tzus and crosses thereof are probably close to the top of breeds in pounds. Thank god for the rescue groups.

These breeds should come with a high maintenance warning in terms of the need for grooming. The state that a lot of these dogs are in by the time the reach the pound should be cause for prosecutions.

Cute doesn't always equal well looked after :(:(

Maltese, Shih Tzus and crosses thereof are probably close to the top of breeds in pounds. Thank god for the rescue groups.

These breeds should come with a high maintenance warning in terms of the need for grooming. The state that a lot of these dogs are in by the time the reach the pound should be cause for prosecutions.

That's sad but I can see how someone would get in trouble buying a Shihtzu cross, if you don't research them first. They are such a pleasure to have around but are high maintenance coat wise. I trim my girl about every 3 weeks to keep her coat manageable, honestly I could open a cushion stuffing business. : ) I wouldn't swap her for anything though. I feel sorry for the ones who get neglected. : (

Personally I think that is the reason many do end up in pounds or rescue. Many people have no idea about the maintenance required. Years ago long haired dogs were not commonly kept as household pets and there weren't these same problems. They are bred and sold because of the "cute" factor without any information given about the upkeep of the coat.

Personally I think that is the reason many do end up in pounds or rescue. Many people have no idea about the maintenance required. Years ago long haired dogs were not commonly kept as household pets and there weren't these same problems. They are bred and sold because of the "cute" factor without any information given about the upkeep of the coat.

That's what I mean, Rosetta. I had no idea either and at six months of age, my Maltese had to be completely shaved and after than they went to the groomer regularly.

It is coat texture too, as well as length. I have a large long haired breed and apart from more housework when they do the seasonal coat drop their long silky coats are so easy to maintain. If I am not showing them a quick brush once a week is all it takes and I never see a matt, and they are kept in full coat, no scissoring or clipping.. I have friends who have cross bred small dogs, no idea what mix, and if they didn't have regular grooming appointments they would not be able to stay on top of the matting, it happens so quickly. Cute dogs but so much work. Things new owners really need to know but often don't get told.

Edited by Diva

It is coat texture too, as well as length. I have a large long haired breed and apart from more housework when they do the seasonal coat drop their long silky coats are so easy to maintain. If I am not showing them a quick brush once a week is all it takes and I never see a matt, and they are kept in full coat, no scissoring or clipping.. I have friends who have cross bred small dogs, no idea what mix, and if they didn't have regular grooming appointments they would not be able to stay on top of the matting, it happens so quickly. Cute dogs but so much work. Things new owners really need to know but often don't get told.

My Shihtzu cross will roll and roll after I brush her, she ends up more matted than when I started, it's definitely the texture of her coat that doesn't help. Keeping her coat short is the best solution. No one warned me about how much grooming they required but I did research it myself, so it wasn't a shock.

My Shihtzu cross will roll and roll after I brush her, she ends up more matted than when I started, it's definitely the texture of her coat that doesn't help. Keeping her coat short is the best solution. No one warned me about how much grooming they required but I did research it myself, so it wasn't a shock.

I find the curly poodle type coat much harder to deal with than the more straight maltese/shihtzu coat. I have had experience of both and much prefer the latter.

I find the curly poodle type coat much harder to deal with than the more straight maltese/shihtzu coat. I have had experience of both and much prefer the latter.

Now I think about it you could be right I have a friend who has a poodle/maltese, she keeps her coat very short at all times, sometimes she looks like a short haired breed its so short, she's told me it gets very out of hand, I was assuming it was something like my Shihtzu crosses coat but perhaps it is a little be worse.

Guest donatella

If your friend isn't able to spend over $1000 for a pedigree puppy she might not be left with too many choices.

Would she consider and older puppy? A lot of breeders hold on to puppies to see how they will turn out and if they are unsuitable rehome them at a reduced fee.

If she wants quite a small dog I would consider a Pomeranian, they are loyal, smart, low shedding, easy to groom, easy to train and for a little dog they can do quite a bit of exercise.

Yes this. I know a few great breeders who sell between $800 - $1200 reg health tested beautiful poms from show breeders.

Now I think about it you could be right I have a friend who has a poodle/maltese, she keeps her coat very short at all times, sometimes she looks like a short haired breed its so short, she's told me it gets very out of hand, I was assuming it was something like my Shihtzu crosses coat but perhaps it is a little be worse.

The other important point here is that not all x crossed y have the same coat type by any stretch of the imagination, you can get very different coats even in one litter when you cross breed. You get a range of outcomes that can be quite different in terms of care. Temperament and size too for that matter. A first cross can be highly variable.

Edited by Diva

The other important point here is that not all x crossed y have the same coat type by any stretch of the imagination, you can get very different coats even in one litter when you cross breed. You get a range of outcomes that can be quite different in terms of care. Temperament and size too for that matter. A first cross can be highly variable.

This. I have a Shih Tzu X (not sure what, was told Maltese but he is same colour and markings as a Schnauzer) and his coat is silky, fine and soft. He doesn't matt easily and although I keep him shaved most of the time as I'm not a fan of long haired breeds his tail is always long and I brush it only when he gets groomed (once every 5-6 weeks).

I groom from home part time and there is a huge variety in the type of coat these mixes have. My favourite breed to groom is the Poodle, they have the best coat for clipping and always look great when done. Its hard to stuff up a poodle clip :)

This. I have a Shih Tzu X (not sure what, was told Maltese but he is same colour and markings as a Schnauzer) and his coat is silky, fine and soft. He doesn't matt easily and although I keep him shaved most of the time as I'm not a fan of long haired breeds his tail is always long and I brush it only when he gets groomed (once every 5-6 weeks).

I groom from home part time and there is a huge variety in the type of coat these mixes have. My favourite breed to groom is the Poodle, they have the best coat for clipping and always look great when done. Its hard to stuff up a poodle clip :)

I think its hard for you to stuff up a poodle clip because you know what you are doing, an Aunty of mine used to "have a go" at clipping her poodle and it always looked like it had big lumps cut out of the coat, like a piece of foam with bits dug out of it, she kept telling me she was "getting the hang of it", she never did, poor dog wore a little jacket permanently. :rofl: :laugh:

Yes thats true my girl is a first cross, a Maltese/Shihtzu cross father and a pedigree Shihtzu , that quarter of Maltese caused havoc in the litters coats, some very wavy like my dog and others with straight ish hair. Different colours too, a couple of black and whites (like the father) , and mine is a tri-colour with silver markings on the ears like the mother.

Excuse my fairly simplistic question but I'm just trying to get some ideas to help out an acquaintance of mine. She was going to buy a random crossbred BYB type puppy but I've been steering her in the direction of a health tested pup(especially important with small breeds I told her ;) ) or rescue. She wants something low shedding but doesn't mind a little bit of shed just not crazy shedding, she was originally thinking a maltese X shih tzu so small fluffy/long haired. Happy to groom, particularly wants a pup so she can train it the way she wants.

In theory I think she's sold on the idea of a health tested pup but I'm not sure how high I can push the $$ before she'll balk, at that point I'll steer her to rescue. Is anyone able to give me suggestions of small breeds that might suit a family with a small, well-supervised child. I know people like CKCS but I think the shedding might not be what they want there. Also if people could give me an idea of costs for different breeds I can discuss the pros and cons of different breed options with her. A lady I know just spent $5000 on her small BYB dogs knees so that's been good ammunition for this conversation LOL

My son rang me over 2 years ago asking my advise on getting a Chihuahua for his then 3 y/o daughter. I told him that a registered chi breeder probably wouldn't sell a pup to a family with young children. They live in Ulladulla & saw an add in the paper for the pups that were in Nowra. Anyway my daughter in law went ahead & bought the pup which was about $300 - $500, can't remember now the exact price, could have even been $700.

They insist that she's pure bred chi but I'm not totally convinced but she has turned out to be a fabulous little dog for my granddaughter. She's totally spoilt, is such a funny little dog, & does some tricks. She does the quickest & fastest, straight beg for a treat I've ever seen. She looks overweight to me & weighs about 1.5kg.

She's a long coat Chihuahua that's black & white & they tell people that she's a mini Border Collie.

Edited by luvsdogs

The chance of finding a small cute fluffy puppy in rescue is pretty much nil. Anyone breeding them has no trouble selling them and therefore they do not need rescuing. The only exception would be where a pregnant rescue comes in they raise the litter but then you have no idea what the sire is or how big the puppies will grow, if the parents had any health issues or how healthy the bitch was during pregnancy. If she cannot be swayed to one of the more reasonably priced small registered purebreds then she is better to look for a BYB of crossbreds that just occasionally breeds their bitch to their or a friend's dog because they just love puppies. Not ideal but better than a puppy farm and at least she can meet the parents and see where the puppy was raised and a crossbred is less likely to have inherited problems than an unregistered BYB purebred. There are a lot of people who breed small breeds like this because they love having puppies around and never have any trouble finding good homes for them. They do not contribute to rescue problems because they can always sell the puppies themselves.

I disagree, I have a look around Pet Rescue regularly and there's always white fluffies available, both puppies and adults. Of course you don't know about final size or health issues, but that is true of all dogs from shelters/rescue. If you don't like the risk, then you'd go with a purebred dog, or like you say, a BYB where you can see both parents (assuming they are in fact the parents, the female may have gotten out and mated with a different male).

I got my maltese x poodle from a shelter, and she has the loveliest temperament. Confident, friendly, smart, easy to train, etc.

There's also plenty of white fluffies available on Gumtree. I personally wouldn't buy from a BYB, but there are puppies as young as 4-5 months being rehomed for a reasonable price for being too much work, needing a "bigger yard" or whatever other reason people come up with when they've changed their mind.

Edited by fuzzy82