Cost For Small Breed Pups And Question About Temperament?

kelpiecuddles

Shih-Tzu. Needs clipping on a regular basis but is non shedding. Marvellous personality, not too difficult to train, probably looks a bit like a MaltxShih cross without the health problems. Great with kids, and wonderful with families. One from a good breeder should not have health problems. Also good watchdog.

Registered maltese are like hens teeth - there are very few litters born, and if you could find one, great, they are terrific dogs, but only registered ones.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowchen would fit this, these days your looking at about 1000-1500 depending on the breeder, they don't have any major health test and are a generally easy going breed who shed minimalisticaly (every breed sheds the most we get is off a brush)

If your friend isn't able to spend over $1000 for a pedigree puppy she might not be left with too many choices.

Would she consider and older puppy? A lot of breeders hold on to puppies to see how they will turn out and if they are unsuitable rehome them at a reduced fee.

If she wants quite a small dog I would consider a Pomeranian, they are loyal, smart, low shedding, easy to groom, easy to train and for a little dog they can do quite a bit of exercise.

I paid $400 for a Shmalt ( Shihtzu Maltese) that is 3/4 Shihtzu, that was a few years ago. I like the breed, good with kids, but do take some grooming, I do some kind of clipping every two to three weeks to keep the coat manageable. A lot of brushing involved if you let the coat grow. My current dog likes to roll after brushing, so ends up more tangled than before the brushing, so a short coat is better for her. She is almost non shedding, you can count the hair that comes off her. She weighs 6.3 kgs, has a lovely temperament but female attitude. One downside is she likes to bark and she had a suspected luxiating patella at one point but that has firmed up now. Great little dogs for a family. : )

I paid $400 for a Shmalt ( Shihtzu Maltese) that is 3/4 Shihtzu, that was a few years ago. I like the breed, good with kids, but do take some grooming, I do some kind of clipping every two to three weeks to keep the coat manageable. A lot of brushing involved if you let the coat grow. My current dog likes to roll after brushing, so ends up more tangled than before the brushing, so a short coat is better for her. She is almost non shedding, you can count the hair that comes off her. She weighs 6.3 kgs, has a lovely temperament but female attitude. One downside is she likes to bark and she had a suspected luxiating patella at one point but that has firmed up now. Great little dogs for a family. : )

I think you'll find a "shmalt" isn't actually a breed.

If your friends can't afford to outlay money for a dog, can she afford vet bills or ongoing costs to care for the dog, especially if there is an unexpected cost or accident?

She has money put aside for desexing, vaccs, etc, etc, she's just not willing to spend thousands on the initial purchase cost. As you would know my basset cost a lot more so this is a point where we have a difference of opinion as i would just find my preferred breed and then spend whatever I had to to get one LOL I don't know her well enough to get super pushy about the necessity to spend more, random people ask me for help often because they know I have some experience in the dog world.

If your friends can't afford to outlay money for a dog, can she afford vet bills or ongoing costs to care for the dog, especially if there is an unexpected cost or accident?

I know I just made it up. : )

Well you might need to do a refresher on the forum rules.

Well I think you might find you have no sense of humor and may need to do a refresher in that subject. You've had a couple of shots at me for some reason and I am continuing to stay in good humor, please repay the compliment. : )

Well I think you might find you have no sense of humor and may need to do a refresher in that subject. You've had a couple of shots at me for some reason and I am continuing to stay in good humor, please repay the compliment. : )

First forum rule ...."blahblah but we ask that you refer to it by its proper name (eg a pug-x or cavalier-x instead of the designer term 'pugalier')."

If you want a compliment? Follow the forum rules. You'll probably get to stay here longer.

Edited by minimax

I don't want a compliment, I want you to repay my compliment by being in good humor, as I have been with you. Making a compliment and repaying a compliment are not the same thing.

I have seen the term Groodle, oodle, cavoodle and even BS mastiff mentioned many times on this forum and never seen any reaction from their use, obviously something about me needles you, I can't help that.

Now I'm going to have a cuppa and a chocolate biscuit, I suggest you do the same. It cures all ills : )

While your friend might prefer to have a puppy for training purposes there are plenty of advantages to getting an older dog.

They are often already house trained

No need to worry about shoes and other items getting chewed

No need to worry about puppies biting hands and small children and teaching them general manners

If you want them to spend time outside you can do that straight away as your dog is no longer a vulnerable puppy

As far as training goes there is still plenty you can do with an older dog if my 7 year old poodle x is anything to go by.

Since getting her in May she's now fluent in Sit, drop, heel, come, bed, no and stand for examination

many people also worry about the dogs love and loyalty if they have had a previous owner but if you show them the love and attention they need it will seem like you've had them from puppyhood in no time.

Whatever you call them Alison I agree they are great little dogs :) The ones I have seen are really sweet and quite robust also.

Go to a rescue group: www.paws.com.au

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

PAWS has a lovely selection of small breed dogs. Their foster-carers are brilliant at observing them in a regular home situation & writing up spot-on descriptions of their temperaments and type of home needed. Under 'Rescued by Denise', there's presently 2 Tibetan Spaniels, Senghe & Karuna, that have tibbie lovers drooling.

Don't know, tho', about the shedding proviso by the OP's friend.

Edited by mita

Puppies do come into rescue from time to time and I completely understand how your friend feels about getting a puppy from about 8 weeks of age.

When I had my first dogs, puppies of 8 weeks and 9 weeks of age, and went to dog training when they were a few months old, I used to think dogs of even about 4 years of age with almost ancient :o:o . Some 20 years later and goodness knows how many dogs (owner, rescued, fostered) later, I think my nearly 10 years old is just a puppy.

However, if she can get around that desire to have a puppy puppy, then the rewards of getting as young a dog as possible from a rescue group such as PAWS, where all their dogs are in foster care situations, will be enormous.

I don't want a compliment, I want you to repay my compliment by being in good humor, as I have been with you. Making a compliment and repaying a compliment are not the same thing.

I have seen the term Groodle, oodle, cavoodle and even BS mastiff mentioned many times on this forum and never seen any reaction from their use, obviously something about me needles you, I can't help that.

Now I'm going to have a cuppa and a chocolate biscuit, I suggest you do the same. It cures all ills : )

It often happens that someone new to the forums who hasn't read the forum rules refers to their dog by its made up cross breed name, I'd be pretty confident in saying that it is always mentioned that "xxx" isn't a breed and that on DOL the dog should be referred to as requested in the forum rules ('xxx' X "xxx'). You may not have seen it but it certainly does cause a reaction! Minimax was just pointing out to you that it is in fact a breach of forum rules.

Whatever you call them Alison I agree they are great little dogs :) The ones I have seen are really sweet and quite robust also.

Well I'll call mine a Shihtzu cross now as it seems to be upsetting some people for me to have a joke and make up a name. : ))

Yes they are lovely dogs, make great lapdogs and lively little companions but I wouldn't call them a high energy dog. Robust is a good word to describe them. Their coats can be a little high maintenance but if you clip them yourself, like I do, grooming doesn't have to be costly. : )

It often happens that someone new to the forums who hasn't read the forum rules refers to their dog by its made up cross breed name, I'd be pretty confident in saying that it is always mentioned that "xxx" isn't a breed and that on DOL the dog should be referred to as requested in the forum rules ('xxx' X "xxx'). You may not have seen it but it certainly does cause a reaction! Minimax was just pointing out to you that it is in fact a breach of forum rules.

Thank you SG for putting it so nicely. I've seen many postings with all kinds of names (cavoodles etc), to this point no one has been pulled up for it. Nevertheless seeing as you have taken the trouble to be polite, I'll no longer make up names, having only done it once as a joke. I wasn't objecting to what Minimax was telling me, only her manner of doing it. Interpersonal skills are important wherever you are. Any sentence that starts with "I think you'll find" is going to get someone's back up.

Thanks for clueing me in without being confrontational. : )

Thank you SG for putting it so nicely. I've seen many postings with all kinds of names (cavoodles etc), to this point no one has been pulled up for it. Nevertheless seeing as you have taken the trouble to be polite, I'll no longer make up names, having only done it once as a joke. I wasn't objecting to what Minimax was telling me, only her manner of doing it. Interpersonal skills are important wherever you are. Any sentence that starts with "I think you'll find" is going to get someone's back up.

Thanks for clueing me in without being confrontational. : )

From the forum rules:

This site was created for pure bred dog discussion (ANKC recognised breeds)

The primary purpose of this forum is to promote and discuss pure bred dogs (as recognised by the ANKC) so we ask you respect our aim when visiting here. If you own a cross breed dog, you are also welcome here, but we ask that you refer to it by its proper name (eg a pug-x or cavalier-x instead of the designer term 'pugalier').

No need to feel singled out - believe me when I say that people have been picked up for this many many times.

To the OP - your friend needs to do some research of her own. There are plenty of differences in temperament, grooming and exercise/stimultion needs between the varying breeds of smaller, long coated breeds. It's not a one size will fit all situation.

If health testing is a key concern, your friend will need to confine her enquiries to responsible, registered breeders.

Edited by Haredown Whippets