8 Years Old Pomeranian Need Advise

mickadaman

Perhaps your mum has left you with her dog but it is a responsibility you didn't really want? This can be even worse especially if the dog becomes unwell and you don't have the inclination or resources to manage the situation for the dog.

Should you decide you can't continue to care for your mum's dog going forward, please contact me and we can discuss getting him into rescue, getting his health reviewed by a rescue vet with an up to date vaccination, dental etc and rehoming him.

That's a terrific offer :) Mickadaman ... if you need help , this is a great chance :) It's a big responsibility caring for an older dog , and it's easy to get overwhelmed , especially if you are apprehensive about vets and their treatment .

Thinking of you .

Hey, just in case your vet is closed on the public holiday I have used the 7 day vet on Erskineville Road and they don't charge excessively over weekends (if at all different from their normal prices :confused:). I was very happy to use them when my normal Bondi vet was closed. Here are there times tomorrow:

Public Holidays 9am to 6pm

Sydney Animal Hospitals – Newtown Address: 69–73 Erskineville Road, Erskineville NSW 2043.

Welcome to our Newtown Sydney vet hospital where we provide veterinary care and animal emergency care for pets in Newtown, Marrickville, Beaconsfield, Eveleigh, St Peters, Alexandria, Darlington, Enmore and surrounding suburbs of Sydney.

Our hospital is open every day except Christmas Day for pet care emergencies and the pet services your pet needs to stay healthy and happy.

We're open seven days. Phone: (02) 9519 4111.

Guest donatella

Poor baby!!! One of my Poms had haemorhagic gastroenteritis and the symptoms sound similar to yours. I took her to the vets on the first sign of blood in the stool and she required overnight vet care on IV fluids and abs and she was diagnosed early. Please please please take yours for diagnosis, they can rapidly deteriorate. They don't have a voice you need to be his advocate. What is he like tonight? Lethargic still?

Edited by donatella

Another thing with poms, if Mum hasn't kept up with his grooming and you have a lot of deep matted undercoat up against his skin, he'll be perfect for heat exhaustion this time of year. It's been hot and humid in the inner west. Vomiting, dehydration, diarrhoea etc can all be signs of heat stroke. Toy breeds need to have access to indoors where they can protect themselves from heat or cold.

I really can't leave home for long ATM or I'd offer to pop in (unless you're right near the Metro?) for dogmad but please make sure you get to the vet immediately. Diagnosing things yourself and administering antibiotics that may not be appropriate is hugely risky, it can be enough to put an already debilitated dog into hospital.

I think it's a troll.

I wondered about that too, hippo. If it's not, it might be a case of people wanting help, but in reality don't really want to have to do anything and hoping to be told everything is fine.

In the hope that there isn't a little dog suffering and perhaps dying out there without vet treatment, I hope you are right.

Not everyone has time for computers. Ive posted on forums before and forgotten what forums they were! Just because a poster hasn't returned it doesn't mean they're a troll. Perhaps he has the situation under control now and doesn't feel the need to come back :)

Not everyone has time for computers. Ive posted on forums before and forgotten what forums they were! Just because a poster hasn't returned it doesn't mean they're a troll. Perhaps he has the situation under control now and doesn't feel the need to come back :)

You're right, I forget which forums I've joined too.

People here are so darn caring and compassionate, I should learn to curb my own cynicism.

(Although still hope it was a troll and that people don't give their dogs random antibiotics based on internet advice.)