When To Start Tug

I want to try an establish really good tug with my Whippet pup. He is not quite 12 weeks old.

When or how it the best time or way to start tug with a pup?

Obviously you have to be careful around teething time, any pointers appreciated :)

Soft tug toy as soon as you like, but keeping things light by wiggling the tug on the ground and encouraging the pup to chase and catch it.

Nothing rough yet but keep it silly and very brief.

That's how I started with my pup anyway, and he loves to tug. I could have put more emphasis on the 'out' command, because he sometimes hangs on a bit, but not too bad. So perhaps rewards for releasing the tug? I would be interested to see what others suggest about that aspect.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Please excuse my ignorance. What is the purpose of tug in obedience? I have only ever played tug as a game.

Please excuse my ignorance. What is the purpose of tug in obedience? I have only ever played tug as a game.

Tug is reward just like food. We use it for prey driven dogs. Obedience is one big game we play!

Here's a brief example of a training session with my youngster. She's being rewarded with a ball we play chase and tug with.

Edited by huski

We started day one :) Well before day one even, when I went to look at Elsie at the farm she was born on I took a toy with me to see if she would tug, and she was all over like a mad thing! Did not want to give my soft toy back hehe

Both my guys started day one here with a soft toy or something alike. Both love it. I start & finish the game. I sometimes play it with both dogs or with one while the other waits their turn. They also love theit Flirt Pole. They see me get that out & it's party time LOL :)

I am cautious with a gundog but my normal approach would be to start early but let pup dictate how hard the game is - pup does all the work. Whether I teach a "give" depends on how enthusiastic the pup is to tug. I would be tugging with pup in as many different environments as possible as it's common for pups to tug really well at home but be overwhelmed in other settings. Also incorporate rules when pup is happily tugging - you can work on "outs", a shaped sit, bringing the retrieve toy to you and tugging with the toy that YOU choose. Have fun and take lots of videos :thumbsup: