Is This A Stupid Idea...

Lasareina

Sooo the other day we were at the recycle shop when we saw a sturdy looking 3 wheeler pram.

:idea: DING... we had been talking about how it would be good to have a little cart the dogs could tow when we went on walks, which could hold things such as a picknick lunch etc.

We figured that since the dogs had so little trouble pulling us up the hills, a light cart shouldn't cause them too much of a hassle.

So we asked an attendant and were pleasantly surprised to hear that the pram (I hate that word... pusher, stroller?) was only $10.

Sold.

So now we have this pram sitting at home waiting to be modified into a you-beaut dog cart.

Is this a stupid idea, doomed for failure? :laugh:

If not, any ideas on how to 'pimp my pram'?

To buy pulling harnesses made to fit (don't use sore bought ones) go to www.windchill.com.au. The have a plan on their website showing each measurement you need to make a safe harness. Good luck - sounds like fun

I might be wrong but I can't help but think this could be a hindrance if you're trying to teach your dogs to walk on a loose lead.

But then again if you're not bothered about that then why not give it a try.

I think with a good harness it should be fine :)

It shouldn't encourage your dog to pull on its leash unless you try to use the same harness to walk them I suppose. What do you use to walk your dogs at the moment? I'm guessing you will have to use a collar of some kind to walk while they are pulling their cart so it doesn't interfere with the harness.

Just like sledding, use a decent harness :) It won't encourage them to pull, Elsie walks fine on a loose lead despite having competed in sledding, tracking and weight pull - all of which involve pulling into a harness.

Thanks guys - I couldn't see any harm in giving it a go but thought I would check in case I was overlooking something obvious haha.

Thanks for the link Pepe01 - I will check it out!

Yes the pulling when walking thing was what was making me hesitate the most ... I figure if they can tell the difference between when we want them walking at heel (nearly there haha) and when they are allowed to roam in front on a longer leash, then it shouldn't be too much different to add a third option of pulling a cart?...guess we will find out!

I think that we will need to walk along side with a normal lead and collar to give direction etc - the OH tells me that his staffy he had a few years before I met him would pull him along on his scooter and respond to voice commands to veer left or right... I think that may be a bit ambitioos at this point personally :laugh:

Even if the whole idea fails, I will still have got my money's worth out of the pram... sent a photo to mum captioned "look what we bought today" and got lots of ??!!! "are you serious" response back :D She is quite happy being grandma to puppies atm :laugh:

Your post reminded me of this pic.

This is Champ, our family dog, and the baby in the carriage is my eldest brother. The pic was taken around 1961.

Can't help with the pram sorry Lasareina, but would love to see a picture once you have set it all up. Anne -just wanted to say heart.gif Champ! Love the photo.

I suggest getting a yoke type harness and making up a pair of shafts for the cart as it will reduce the risk of the cart hitting the dog on the back legs when there isn't that much weight in it. I have a garden cart for my dog and he's pulled our freezer home from around the block. We do weight pulling so I used that harness but for "casual carting" I'd probably try to find a half decent harness as it makes things so much easier. :)

Haha yes eccentric will probably describe us pretty well :-p thanks for all the tips... Can't wait to see what outlandish contraption we end up with haha

I'm hoping the handle of the pram will help act as a brake system for cats.. And downhill and help steer as well ... Yay for optimism :)

For what its worth, I think this could be great fun. I long ago saw the mini sulkies made for dogs and last year managed to get one second hand. They are aimed at being pulled by either one large dog or a team of smaller ones. I have it set up for 3 kelpies. The harnesses and rigging cost a bomb though. Came from the US. What kind of harness you need depends on what sort of hitch you have.

It is not as easy to train as I expected. particularly considering they already know how to pull like freight trains when walking together on lead. Singly they walk loosely, together they haul me along. Part of my problem is because I need to teach them to stay ahead of me, rather than try and return to heel position. If you are going to walk beside them it should be less of an issue.

I recently moved and now have more room so will shortly get back into this properly.

There are a couple of harness suppliers that made my type of gear and both of them sent me a little book on how to train a dog to work in harness and get them comfortable with something following behind them as it can spook them. TZlites here and Chalo Sulkies here had lots of information. TZlites couldn't make the harnesses tiny enough for me but Daphne at Chalo did them for me.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you get underway.

thanks for the info Tiger Jack.

Here is a photo of the original pram (sorry if it's huge... I don't know how to make it smaller :-/ )

PRAM_zpsa90a784f.jpg

Pretty good for $10, right?

I will upload photos as we go along. Knowing the pace at which things get done around my place, you might be waiting a bit :laugh: