Fear In Young Rescue Foster

My daughter has a young (9 months) GSD cross boy who she is currently fostering. He is a lovely gentle boy but appears to have major anxiety/fear issues. They have brought him quite a long way in a short space of time but he continues to have what I can only describe as panic attacks while out walking, not while he's out but when he's almost home and sees the house. They walk him daily and after nearly 2 months he is definitely a lot better but this residual seems to be hanging around. They are also having major issues with him pulling on the lead, they have tried just about every type of collar, halti, gentle leader, harness without any success.

Until they can get on top of these, she is reluctant to actively look at rehoming him.

Any input would be most gratefully received, we're kind of stumped :(

Edited by Loreley

Two months is not necessarily a long time in rehabilitating anxiety issues.

What you are describing does not sound to me like a panic attack, but a bolt for safety. It seems that he is dependent on them for feeling safe when away from the house, but once it is close then home is a safer place than out with them, so he struggles fiercely to get there. I wouldn't worry too much about the leash pulling until you had a plan to address the anxiety issues.

A good behaviourist should be able to suggest some strategies to work with him. Hopefully the rescue she fosters for has one on board.

Edited to add:

Whoa I may have misinterpreted your post..Is he struggling fiercely to get home, or to not go there? There is actually a vast difference.

Edited by RuralPug

he actually freezes, they had this while he was out walking, and also at home and eventually they managed to coax him through it, but the coming home part is just weird. He was very anxious after being brought home from the pound, I would call it shut down to be honest, so much so that he escaped within the first 24 hours of them having him through a spot that I wouldn't have even thought would have been an exit point.

As I said he has definitely come a long way but the freezing at the site of home is a worry, and also makes me wonder how he is going to go once they try to rehome him is the other issue.

I've got a very fearful foster at the moment and have estimated at least 6 months of rehab.

He went crazy when we first went out - i'm sure he'd never been outside a cage before, i'm pretty sure he was from a puppy farm/byb situation. It appeared he'd never seen a car, pram, bike etc as he went into a frenzy every time one passed by. 3 months on and there's been a lot of improvement but we have a long way to go for many reasons.

Good luck but I think it will take a lot more time and then he may need a very special home.

Thanks for that clarification.

If he's freezing when approaching the house, then that does indicate severe anxiety (either related to ending the walk or to entering the house/yard) and they will need to work on finding his safe distance and gradually reducing it. No quick fix, usually just a gradual desensitisation process.

The book Powerlegs suggested may give you some hints in that direction but I repeat getting a behaviourist to observe him and train them in the most helpful stategies will probably be faster in the long run...(we might be talking about the difference between 9 months and two years, nothing will happen overnight).

thanks Dogmad, he doesn't go nuts but freezes poor baby. I think you are definitely right though he will need a very special home.

If you can all keep him in mind if you get the right person would be much appreciated.

Have they tried walking him with a balanced dog? I had a dog that froze and putting it with a strong willed yet balanced dog on walks fixed it right up.

I agree that another 'balanced' dog can provide a supportive model for behaviour.

Also.... we had a 7 months old Sheltie who'd freeze in the opposite direction. As soon as she left the yard & was on the footpath to go for a walk.... she'd freeze. Background was understandable. Came at that age from a show breeder where she'd never been off the property to have experience on streets.

Like what RP's suggested, I took her just a few steps at a time, at first. She loved food, so treats were a motivator, even in the face of such extreme anxiety. But it still couldn't be pushed.

So, at first, just a step or two.... then treats & praise. A little more each day. Took a little while & lots of treats, but she learned to be confident faced with the street. Was fine, for then on.

they normally walk with 2 or 3 of them, the older of the other 2 would be about 4 and yes she's a nice balanced dog, the other is a puppy of around 7 months. I'll have a chat with her about how often it is happening and suggest the behaviourist and reading material.

Many thanks

:thumbsup:

bit more info:

its either freezing or rushing in.. tonight he rushed in, normally he goes through after Dex. its only every 3rd or 4th walk that he will freeze, and its a whole lot worse if they take him on his own.

Is there anyone that can recommend either a good vet with behaviourist quals or a behaviourist in Canberra or surrounds??

You will find some info about Canberra behaviourists in this recent thread.

I'm sure they will do this anyway, but please remind them to check with the rescue group they are fostering for before engaging a behaviourist.

Please keep us informed how they go with him, sounds like they are doing quite well so far!

that's already done and been approved :thumbsup:

She had a phone conversation with one that the rescue coordinator recommended, not overly impressed to be honest. I think they need a second opinion. His response was don't give him any feedback unless he works for it which is fine but this also includes fear, so she was told to basically ignore the freezing and panic attacks. AFter reading the controlled unleashed and it made so much sense to me, having an anxious failed foster this type of approach would have killed him.

thanks for the heads up on the link much appreciated, will keep you posted on how we go.