Adelaide Vet Recommendation

cassie

Hi all, I'm looking for a vet anywhere in Adelaide who is experienced in giant breeds. My usual vet Dr Chris Girling whom I love is out of the country at the moment.

My pup (6 month old Saint Bernard) has hurt his wrist and is limping. Yesterday I took him to my local vet, only because I needed meds for him. It shocked me to see how much they really didn't know. First she didn't know the breed, ok whatever that's not such a huge deal. When I mentioned my other dog was a Bernese she said "Aren't they basically the same breed? What's the main difference?" Umm well I'd say the main similarity is that they both have four legs and a tail, they are completely different. Then when I weighed him he was 46kg and she told me he would "Probably be close to 50kg once he finishes growing" oh and by the way apparently he'll finish growing at 9 months and finish filling out by 12 months. I stood there with my mouth open in shock and told her we expected him to be 85kg + at maturity, at 4-5 years old. She couldn't believe it! I felt like I was teaching her! It was clear she usually only sees more common breeds.

Anyway she examined him and we got the meds which was the reason for going, but if he doesn't get any better I'll need to take him in again, and no way will I return there. (Also, all the nurses etc there loved him, and as I was leaving they told him he'd have to injure himself more often so they could see him again!!! :eek: That didn't sit right with me at all.)

So long story short...does anyone know of a great vet who knows what a bloody Saint Bernard is for a start?!?!?

First she didn't know the breed, ok whatever that's not such a huge deal. When I mentioned my other dog was a Bernese she said "Aren't they basically the same breed? What's the main difference?" Umm well I'd say the main similarity is that they both have four legs and a tail, they are completely different. Then when I weighed him he was 46kg and she told me he would "Probably be close to 50kg once he finishes growing" oh and by the way apparently he'll finish growing at 9 months and finish filling out by 12 months. I stood there with my mouth open in shock and told her we expected him to be 85kg + at maturity, at 4-5 years old. She couldn't believe it! I felt like I was teaching her! It was clear she usually only sees more common breeds.

That's a worry :( :(

Hope you find someone with some more experience !! Was this vet very young ?