Chinese Cresteds And Tick Preventative

Stormy

I think like most things, people tend to be more forward in posting negative reviews than positive ones! I took the advice on there and usually leave it out of the bag for a day before putting it on.

At one stage I thought he may have been a little itchy, but it wasn't to the point of actual skin irritation, and it could have been anything. He doesn't seem itchy anymore anyway.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...I agree. Stormy why don't you pop over to the Chinese Crested thread, if there is one :) Personally, if I had a little hairless dog like you, I would be just doing a daily search & picking off any ticks. They do have to be on for a while before they do any damage & he may even build up a slight immunity to them, which I believe only lasts for one season.

There are also these little ultrasonic things which I have used quite successfully in the past as a back-up to spot-ons, but I got sick & tired of taking it off before they went swimming & of course, sometimes they sneak off to the dam without me knowing :laugh: Skudos

I think like most things, people tend to be more forward in posting negative reviews than positive ones!

That is true too aliwake , people are more likely to complain than praise!

Yes...I agree. Stormy why don't you pop over to the Chinese Crested thread, if there is one :) Personally, if I had a little hairless dog like you, I would be just doing a daily search & picking off any ticks. They do have to be on for a while before they do any damage & he may even build up a slight immunity to them, which I believe only lasts for one season.

There are also these little ultrasonic things which I have used quite successfully in the past as a back-up to spot-ons, but I got sick & tired of taking it off before they went swimming & of course, sometimes they sneak off to the dam without me knowing :laugh: Skudos

Thanks sheena, I didn't think of the Cresty thread :o

After reading all the info on ticks and preventatives I'm leaning towards just the daily checks at this stage as he is an easy dog to check (as are our others). Knowing we have a time to find them (and someone is home most days) I feel that we should hopefully be able to stay on top of it all. I was just a bit concerned when Nemo got 6 ticks in three days (which is the most we've ever had) but since clearing the yard on the weekend, he's not had any (neither have the others), so I'm hoping we've reduced the numbers at least.

I do like the look of that electronic device so may look at trying a couple of those (possibly one for my OH too as he's seems to get a few tick too when working in the yard). We don't have a dam thankfully - mind you our dogs seem to have an aversion to water, they jump over puddles or go around and hate going outside in the rain, sad really :laugh:

Edited by Stormy

I think like most things, people tend to be more forward in posting negative reviews than positive ones!

That is true too aliwake , people are more likely to complain than praise!

Thanks sheena, I didn't think of the Cresty thread :o

After reading all the info on ticks and preventatives I'm leaning towards just the daily checks at this stage as he is an easy dog to check (as are our others). Knowing we have a time to find them (and someone is home most days) I feel that we should hopefully be able to stay on top of it all. I was just a bit concerned when Nemo got 6 ticks in three days (which is the most we've ever had) but since clearing the yard on the weekend, he's not had any (neither have the others), so I'm hoping we've reduced the numbers at least.

I do like the look of that electronic device so may look at trying a couple of those (possibly one for my OH too as he's seems to get a few tick too when working in the yard). We don't have a dam thankfully - mind you our dogs seem to have an aversion to water, they jump over puddles or go around and hate going outside in the rain, sad really :laugh:

I got my electronic thingos from Amazon. They were not called Skudos but were exactly the same & made by the same people. There are some cheap & nasty ones on Ebay, but I wouldn't touch them with a six foot pole :( They are water resistant, so rain will not effect them.

I would be very interested to know just how effective and how safe these new tick collars are, with dogs that swim every day & would have to have their collar removed for a few hours each day while they dry off.

No collar (including the new Scalibor collar) are suitable for dogs that swim often. The active ingredients in collars are disseminated throughout the coat and skin.

Water removes the actives from the coat and skin and leaves animals unprotected for 48 hours after reapplying the collar, the time it takes for the actives to re-disseminate throughout the coat.

(Unlike topically that disseminate and go through the skin to the various areas the different brands are designed to go ie advantix goes to the lipid layer of skin ( below the surface) and the lipid layer is water resistant. Frontline goes to the bloodstream along with residuals in the epidermis.

The current collars, ie preventic, kiltix and scalibor have lower efficacy than topicals.

Collars are approx preventic 74%

Kiltix 92%

Scalibor 81%

Topicals:

Advantix 98% fortnightly application

Frontline 62% fortnightly application

Frontline spray 87% sprayed externally once every 2-3 weeks

Permoxin 67% sprayed every 3-5 days

Advantix is the only one that repels as well as kills.

No product is 100% for paralysis ticks and DAILY SEARCHING IS STILL REQUIRED EVEN WITH PREVENTATIVES.

NONE OF THESE PRODUCTS ARE SUITED FOR CATS

Frontline may be used on cats with veterinary advice.

Hope this helps

Where did you get these statistics?

I would be very interested to know just how effective and how safe these new tick collars are, with dogs that swim every day & would have to have their collar removed for a few hours each day while they dry off.

No collar (including the new Scalibor collar) are suitable for dogs that swim often. The active ingredients in collars are disseminated throughout the coat and skin.

Water removes the actives from the coat and skin and leaves animals unprotected for 48 hours after reapplying the collar, the time it takes for the actives to re-disseminate throughout the coat.

(Unlike topically that disseminate and go through the skin to the various areas the different brands are designed to go ie advantix goes to the lipid layer of skin ( below the surface) and the lipid layer is water resistant. Frontline goes to the bloodstream along with residuals in the epidermis.

The current collars, ie preventic, kiltix and scalibor have lower efficacy than topicals.

Collars are approx preventic 74%

Kiltix 92%

Scalibor 81%

Topicals:

Advantix 98% fortnightly application

Frontline 62% fortnightly application

Frontline spray 87% sprayed externally once every 2-3 weeks

Permoxin 67% sprayed every 3-5 days

Advantix is the only one that repels as well as kills.

No product is 100% for paralysis ticks and DAILY SEARCHING IS STILL REQUIRED EVEN WITH PREVENTATIVES.

NONE OF THESE PRODUCTS ARE SUITED FOR CATS

Frontline may be used on cats with veterinary advice.

Hope this helps

Where did you get these statistics?

I believe she is a rep for Bayer. Frontline doesn't go into the bloodstream though, works the same as Advantix. The oils get stored in the little "reservoirs" of oils where the hairs grow from. This from the mouth of the Frontline rep herself.

Nowstarin is that list available some where that i could print it out properly?(as opposed to from a forum post) I'd love to take a copy of it to work, i've been saying for yonks that Frontline wasn't as effective as Advantix but a couple of them still recommend it over Advantix saying that they are exactly the same as each other.

Personally i use advantix on one dog and am looking at trialing Scalibor on my kelpie as she seems to react strangely to Advantix