Communication Breakdown In Rspca Kills Family's Dogs

silentchild

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were repeat offenders, obviously this woman had issues containing her dogs.

If she had done so they would never have been at the shelter in the first place.

Indeed. Though one article said it was because they were in the process of replacing the fence which is why she took them to work shrug.gif though from what ES says that may not be the case.

Regardless...if they knew she was getting together the money they should have let her know they were about to kill her dogs. i personally think $900 is a bit ridiculous.

The fines for repeat offenders can get pretty steep. Some councils have a scale that starts off hefty enough, but gets more expensive each time your dog is picked up for being at large. $960 sounds about right for 2 dogs that have been picked up numerous times...

T.

re. the two JRT's. How big is the Rutherford RSPCA centre? Sounds like typical behavior in a rule-bound institution where the people who make decisions at the bottom of the ladder are afraid to implement decisions that deviate from standard practice...and then held responsible for doing something that isn't nice. Or perhaps everyone had had so much contact with these two dogs that they had reason to doubt the owner would come up with the cash.

as so often, hard to figure out what actually happened and why.

It's interesting that the newspaper saw fit to cover the story. The equivalent probably happens a hundred times a day in the US and never gets any press.

If there was an agreement to hold these dogs until payment was made it is totally the pounds fault. Obviously there was inefficiency, bad or no communication between staff & its not good working practise to operate any place this way.

A dog that had been there a day could have been put down with lack of communication.

The circumstances are not relevant to the dogs being put down if the person had made arrangements & they accepted this arrangement. They made a huge mistake.

There are some hard and fast rules with dog pounds and the RSPCA. Someone I know was given a dog that had been owned by a drug addict who had over dosed and gone into rehab.

It was a dachshund, they had it in their house for a month, lying around on the floor playing with the grand kids, it never put a foot wrong. When they took it to the vet, the day after they got it, for vaccinations etc, the vet told them to go to the RSPCA to have its microchip read. After a few weeks they went to have it checked, the RSPCA confiscated the dog on the spot, told the new parents it wasn't their dog. Anyway after a few a weeks of searching they got the drug person to clear up the ownership problem, the RSPCA told them to come pick up the dog the next day ( there were fees to pay) after they'd done a behavioral test, when they got there to pick up their baby they were told it had failed the test and been put down. Now WTF was that about, they were devastated but they were stonewalled right out the door.

There are some hard and fast rules with dog pounds and the RSPCA. Someone I know was given a dog that had been owned by a drug addict who had over dosed and gone into rehab.

It was a dachshund, they had it in their house for a month, lying around on the floor playing with the grand kids, it never put a foot wrong. When they took it to the vet, the day after they got it, for vaccinations etc, the vet told them to go to the RSPCA to have its microchip read. After a few weeks they went to have it checked, the RSPCA confiscated the dog on the spot, told the new parents it wasn't their dog. Anyway after a few a weeks of searching they got the drug person to clear up the ownership problem, the RSPCA told them to come pick up the dog the next day ( there were fees to pay) after they'd done a behavioral test, when they got there to pick up their baby they were told it had failed the test and been put down. Now WTF was that about, they were devastated but they were stonewalled right out the door.

Probably failed the dolly test even though it was fine with real children - another disgusting story :mad

thats so sad :cry: I didn't realise the RSPCA had the authority to confiscate pets based on the microchip details showing a previous owner! Wouldn't the vet normally check the microchip number themselves? what a horrible story :(

Edited by Lasareina

When they took it to the vet, the day after they got it, for vaccinations etc, the vet told them to go to the RSPCA to have its microchip read. After a few weeks they went to have it checked, the RSPCA confiscated the dog on the spot, told the new parents it wasn't their dog. Anyway after a few a weeks of searching they got the drug person to clear up the ownership problem, the RSPCA told them to come pick up the dog the next day ( there were fees to pay) after they'd done a behavioral test, when they got there to pick up their baby they were told it had failed the test and been put down. Now WTF was that about, they were devastated but they were stonewalled right out the door.

I seriously doubt a vet would tell the new owners to take the dog to the RSPCA to have a m/chip read. All vets have m/chip scanners.

I also doubt the RSPCA confiscated the dog. It would not take weeks to sort out the ownership issue. A state dec by the new owners stating they had legitimately bought/rescued/were given the dog would be enough. There would be no need to leave the dog at the RSPCA 'for a few weeks'?

Under the circumstances I seriously doubt the m/chip number had a 'stolen dog' alert attached to it so the RSPCA would have no legitimate grounds on which to confiscate the dog. None of this story rings true.

When they took it to the vet, the day after they got it, for vaccinations etc, the vet told them to go to the RSPCA to have its microchip read. After a few weeks they went to have it checked, the RSPCA confiscated the dog on the spot, told the new parents it wasn't their dog. Anyway after a few a weeks of searching they got the drug person to clear up the ownership problem, the RSPCA told them to come pick up the dog the next day ( there were fees to pay) after they'd done a behavioral test, when they got there to pick up their baby they were told it had failed the test and been put down. Now WTF was that about, they were devastated but they were stonewalled right out the door.

I seriously doubt a vet would tell the new owners to take the dog to the RSPCA to have a m/chip read. All vets have m/chip scanners.

I also doubt the RSPCA confiscated the dog. It would not take weeks to sort out the ownership issue. A state dec by the new owners stating they had legitimately bought/rescued/were given the dog would be enough. There would be no need to leave the dog at the RSPCA 'for a few weeks'?

Under the circumstances I seriously doubt the m/chip number had a 'stolen dog' alert attached to it so the RSPCA would have no legitimate grounds on which to confiscate the dog. None of this story rings true.

No, not to me either.

If the dog isn't chipped to the person claiming to own it, it could just as well have been stolen. Dogs are commonly impounded on this basis but in a normal impound situation you just put your name on the dog and adopt it back out after it's done it's time, no problem. Reprocessed and lawful.

If the vet surgery isn't an approved location to hold animals for rangers to collect then yes I could easily see them say 'take the dog to the pound' (and RSPCA are running the pound in some towns so they impound and then assess for adoption once they own it).

It's less confrontational for the surgery staff and fulfilling their duty per the CAA in a roundabout way. The other choice is to let the people keep a dog that may have someone looking for it. Or grab the dog, take it out the back and argue the point in the foyer.

If they found the old owner, or gotten a stat dec and then gone to council instead it would have been a different story. If they knew this the dog would still be alive.

re PTS for failing their temp test. :( I'm surprised any dog passes some of these tests.

Why wouldn't the vet read the microchip? No need to send a dog to the RSPCA or anywhere. Another urban myth.

Well for an urban myth it seems to happen an awful lot, my cousin while at Surfers had to take her fathers dog, he couldn't manage it. He'd bought it from "a bloke at the pub" and had had it a few years. So doing the right thing she wanted the chip changed to her name, the vet told her that the RSPCA was the only place where they could read the chip, he then said but don't take the dog there because they will impound it for 14 days till you can prove it's yours and if it doesn't pass the behavioral test it will be curtains for the dog. I have always assumed the vet can read the chip and find the name of the owner but apparently not according to this vet. He said only the RSPCA can access who is the owner of the dog, the vet can only see the chip number.

Edited by Alison03

The RSPCA told my friend they'd hold the dog for 14 days till he could prove the previous owner had passed the dog to him, once that was done he thought it would be plain sailing, he was told you can come to get Toby after they had done the behavioral test, my friend thought that won't be a problem he hasn't got a bad bone in his body, however it didn't turn out that way. They told him they couldn't legally release a dog that hadn't passed this test or they would be at fault if it bit someone.

If the dog isn't chipped to the person claiming to own it, it could just as well have been stolen. Dogs are commonly impounded on this basis but in a normal impound situation you just put your name on the dog and adopt it back out after it's done it's time, no problem. Reprocessed and lawful.

If the vet surgery isn't an approved location to hold animals for rangers to collect then yes I could easily see them say 'take the dog to the pound' (and RSPCA are running the pound in some towns so they impound and then assess for adoption once they own it).

It's less confrontational for the surgery staff and fulfilling their duty per the CAA in a roundabout way. The other choice is to let the people keep a dog that may have someone looking for it. Or grab the dog, take it out the back and argue the point in the foyer.

If they found the old owner, or gotten a stat dec and then gone to council instead it would have been a different story. If they knew this the dog would still be alive.

re PTS for failing their temp test. :( I'm surprised any dog passes some of these tests.

Thank PL for not calling me a story teller at best or a liar at worst. For a minute there I was thinking my cousin may have got it wrong and my friend who lost his dachshund. I nearly rang my cousin to clarify the situation. You have made sense of it for me.

I can't imagine a vet taking someone's dog and saying you can't have it back, perhaps that's why my cousin was told they could only read the microchip number and were not able to access the owners name, (which BTW was her fathers name) only the RSPCA could do that, but don't take the dog there. She was told to just take the dog home and not worry about the chip. She rang me afterwards and knowing my friend had had a similar problem I rang him, he said "For Gods sake tell her not to take the dog to the pound or RSPCA " he was frantic while he was telling me the story of poor Toby.

I have to say I'm a little put out by the lack of manners displayed by some members of this forum, with their "urban legend" comments and dismissive attitude. Shame on them.

Edited by Alison03

No-one has called you a liar, Alison03. I just get a little tired of the stories that begin "someone I know". There are always two sides to a story and in the retelling of one, often many points are left out or added along the way. I was pointing out that the vet could read the microchip, has access to the registry and that the dog would not need to be taken to the RSPCA at all. I don't like to see people or organisations put down because of second hand stories, no matter who they are.

No-one has called you a liar, Alison03. I just get a little tired of the stories that begin "someone I know". There are always two sides to a story and in the retelling of one, often many points are left out or added along the way. I was pointing out that the vet could read the microchip, has access to the registry and that the dog would not need to be taken to the RSPCA at all. I don't like to see people or organisations put down because of second hand stories, no matter who they are.

Well how exactly would you like me to relay the story, they are people I know and I was telling it how I heard it. I fully realize the pounds/RSPCA have a tough job but sometimes things go pear shaped and someone loses a dog, apparently it's not unusual. I don't know why the vet told my cousin he could only read the microchip number, he said something about different types of chips are implanted, different brands and his scanner couldn't read all of them. Does that ring true?